I need timing help!

GNX423

I just found the installation directions for my edlebrock timing chain on my desk. Looking them over, i think that i may have installed it advanced. I think that i used what appeard to be an arrow (advanced), instead of the dot(straight up). :eek:

My question is, how can i tell with out having to tear this engine apart again? can i set me dial indicator on one of the rockers, to verify that it is correct?

and if it is advanced do i have to tear back into it, or can i make an external adjustment (very doubtful)

Im glad that i found this before i fired it up. The cam is a 212/212 comp roller.

Thanks!
Mike

You can check the cam timing with dial indicator,and a "timing disc" which attaches to the front of the crank pulley. I've never seen one for a Buick, but I'm sure they are available. You "zero" the disc, to make sure it is showing TDC correctly. Easy to do if the heads are off, not sure how easy with the heads on. Then you mount the dial indicator so it measures valve lift, or lifter motion, and turn the engine over, taking note of the readings from the timing disc when the valve lift matches the data on the cam card. Most cams come with directions for "degreeing in", so that would help. If you find that the cam is not per spec, then you have to pull the front cover- again- to change the set up.

If you don't have a degree wheel, then you'll have to pull the front cover and make sure the dots are lined up accordingly on each gear at TDC.

Thanks guys, I think that i will just take it back apart, I hope at this point that it is wrong. (i wont feel like i wasted my time pulling it apart)

Mike

hehe..when I did mine I got it completely together, IC back on everything, when I lowered the jack and pulled it out from under the car, there was the crank shaft oil splash cap on top of the jack!! Back apart it came....