i need some computer help...

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
i need to take a project to school (its a .dwg file), and its about 10 megs... i cant put it on a CD, and i cant winzip it..

it has to be spanned across sevral disks (the new computers wont even let you right click on something, much less get into my computer to open A:\)

-OR-

the only other possibility i cant think of right now.. is to upload it to a server and open it (off the server) at school and then save it there.... the only problem i have with this is.. how will i be able to get it back home? because i doubt the computer will let me upload...

any one know how i can get this project to school? and then save it and bring it back? the only thing that must be taken into consideration if i do upload it to a server is that it cant be blocked, the school has a pretty strict fire wall....

thanks for any help

-Neil

Winzip can span a single zip file across several floppies. Look in the Winzip help file for instructions on how to do it.

John

how come you can't burn it on a cd?

how about emailing it to yourself at school (if you have an account at school.)

emailing it to a trusted teacher?

creating a yahoo account that you can access at school.

i CANT winzip it... school cant unzip it.. not allowed to, email isnt allowed in school either, yahoo only allows a 3 meg maximum when attaching files.... i could burn it to a cd but then i cant save to the cd because the school dosent have burners...

-neil

I dont fully understand why you cant burn it from home then take it to school. But there used to web sites like x drive that would give you 10 or 20 megs of web space for such things, dont know if they're still around. How about a zip drive? Maybe one of our guys with a website will host it for you, if I had any free space I would. Good luck!

i could put it on a cd, but then i would have no way of resaving it and taking it back home... any clearer? and plus, the school has the computers where you cant get to any of the schools tools, you cant right click, you cant open my computer, and so on, the only way i can save stuff is on the desktop or possibly on the internet...

zip drives are out because school dosent have them...

sorry if im making things fuzzy, i just need to know if i can either span it across a disk with out zipping it... but i also need to be careful of where i upload the files to, because school is anal about what sites you can access from school.... im lucking i can get to this site... most bulletin boards are blocked...

-neil

ok, why do you need to bring it to school? is it something you are working on, or is it something that you need to present? do you have a student hard drive there?

Well the reason you cant right click and such is because they have you locked down with policies to keep the students from screwing things up. As far as I know you will need some type of software such as winzip or winimage to span it across multiple floppies. I still dont understand why you cant use a cd burner. You say you have no way of re saving it and taking it back home. So the data will change once you do your presentation and you will need to re save it, but they dont have a cd burner? If winzip and winimage is out, cd burner is out, zip drive is out, they will have to let you upload it to their server, or you will have to find some available webspace as I see it. Good luck Neil...Mark

Depending on how well they have the machines locked down - you could try and buy one of those little USB hard drives. You don't need to install any drivers with some - if the new machines are Win XP - just plug and "pray" and it shows up as a drive in Explorer. I think the 16Mb ones are pretty cheap now.

Just a thought

This one is 32Mb for $23

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/digi4me/tran32usbfla.html

see the deal is right now that they are tearing down my school and rebuilding it around us, so when we switched rooms, from the new to the old, we also go new computers, and since the school didnt care about what was on the old computers they just deleted everything on them.. so to prevent me from losing all my work i saved it on disks (these computers had winzip, so i could span it) and now i need to take it back to school...

the other thing is i kind of like doing this drafting bit and i might consider doing it on the side, as a part time job or whatever, and i want a copy of my work so i can show people, thats why i want to be able to resave it... school doesnt have a cd burner, its a regular old cd player... and the school also has blocked their own server as part of the security settings... and the teacher cant do anything, its not in his hands...

so i think im going to have to find webspace for it.. but i got to be careful about which web space that i use because it could very well be blocked...

i tryed looking at a picture of my car one day, and it was blocked for nudity/swimsuits and profanity :confused:

this is what im working on, screen shots of it.

1. Screen shot 1
2. Screen shot 2

anyways thanks for the help... any other suggestions?

-neil

the other thing is i kind of like doing this drafting bit and i might consider doing it on the side, as a part time job or whatever, and i want a copy of my work so i can show people, thats why i want to be able to resave it

Ok if you burn it on a cd and take it to school and load it, it does not leave the cd once you load it at school. Im sure you realize you can take that same cd back home and load it, or load it before you go. Sorry, you just have me really curious on this issue:D

but im going to be making changes to it at school, for example i am going to be ripping the intake, headers, and carbs off of it and making it fuel injected and putting a turbo on it.. and i want the 'new and improved' version at home, with out having to redraw it.. i mean i COULD do it all here, but what would be the point of doing something like that twice?

-neil

Ok I got ya now buddy, thats what I was wondering. With the policies in place, you will need some of their space or some web space as you suspected. Once again, maybe one of our web guys will step up, or else just find out the admistrator password, then your set! Hope you get it worked out buddy, but sounds like they got you locked down pretty good. We always do:(

How about putting a copy of Winzip on a floppy, and running it right from the floppy at school? (or will their computers prevent that too?)

PS, if you need some web space, I can let you temporarily borrow some of mine, but you'll have to e-mail me so we can discuss passwords & such!

Sounds like he is locked down from the floppy drive and my computer alltogether. You can access the a drive from the start menu if they havent taken away the run command. Bet they have though:(

Talk to a teacher at school about getting some better access so you can get your stuff to and from school. What I ended up doing at my university was just setting up an ftp server on my home machine, then using it as a cvs repository whenever I do a group project or need to get stuff to and from home.

If they have things locked down that heavily, there is little you can do except ask.

yeah they took away the run command.. i dont know if i really want to go out and spend too much money on this thing if theres any way around it... and i dont think the school has any web space..

buick from hell i will send you an email when i get home, thanks!

-neil