I may have found a GN from a member here

If you are looking to make a drag car it makes no difference what you start with. I would actually buy a Charcoal T if I was to start over. I really like my GN but the charcoal cars just look badass as do the WH1 cars.
As it is now I can't force myself to cage my low mileage GN so I am not allowed to run at my local track. Get a car that makes you happy

Bryan

There is not enough info in the craigslist ad to make an informed decision ....
The ad seems to have been written by someone that has no idea what is in the engine or trans or they are hiding something. Just my opinion.

There is not enough info in the craigslist ad to make an informed decision ....
The ad seems to have been written by someone that has no idea what is in the engine or trans or they are hiding something. Just my opinion.

The guy who placed that ad isn't a Buick enthusiast. He is a plain jane car enthusiast. He also has a few other really nice cars that are also for sale. Before he offered me this car, he offered me a chevelle, a nice 3rd gen nova, and a super low mile 89 TTA.

These cars are so confusing...

That's why you're here asking questions, to learn! I assume you're looking for a heavily modified car since it sounds like you're looking for something to race and run in the 10's.
You have a couple choices/routes to take to get where you want to get there.

1. Buy a heavily modified car that for sure has been flogged and beat on for years, and one you will NEVER really know the condition until you tear it all down to fix all the breakage that will ultimately happen.

2. Buy a real nice (not necessarily a low mile unit). near stock, or mildly built unit and build it up the way you want it. Good way to learn, and you'll know what's going on.

That's why you're here asking questions, to learn! I assume you're looking for a heavily modified car since it sounds like you're looking for something to race and run in the 10's.
You have a couple choices/routes to take to get where you want to get there.

1. Buy a heavily modified car that for sure has been flogged and beat on for years, and one you will NEVER really know the condition until you tear it all down to fix all the breakage that will ultimately happen.

2. Buy a real nice (not necessarily a low mile unit). near stock, or mildly built unit and build it up the way you want it. Good way to learn, and you'll know what's going on.

I have weighed these options, and yes you are right. I do want (but not necessarily NEED a quick car) The second car I posted that belonged to a member here has 135k miles and some go fast stuff like Alky injection, LS1 MAF, TT chip, and a little precision turbo. I like the car, but it's very hard to justify giving up my car for that car. My car isn't the nicest around and I know sentimental value doesn't carry any weight in a sale ad, but I've got $40k into my car. I do the usual "subtract fifty percent" thing when I put the car up for sale, but I feel like everyone else puts their cars up for sale thinking they will get 100% return on their investment.

You are on the right track.

I have over 50k in mine , you can have it for $38k....;)

Good luck to you.

Bryan

I have weighed these options, and yes you are right. I do want (but not necessarily NEED a quick car) The second car I posted that belonged to a member here has 135k miles and some go fast stuff like Alky injection, LS1 MAF, TT chip, and a little precision turbo. I like the car, but it's very hard to justify giving up my car for that car. My car isn't the nicest around and I know sentimental value doesn't carry any weight in a sale ad, but I've got $40k into my car. I do the usual "subtract fifty percent" thing when I put the car up for sale, but I feel like everyone else puts their cars up for sale thinking they will get 100% return on their investment.
When I sold my '87 GN on here I asked a reasonable price based on mods, miles and condition. I was accepting offers with trades too. All but 2 were crazy low ball offers and trades for junk (IMO). When I was looking to buy again there were many tasty options at decent prices. My advice would be to sell your car then take the time to shop for the Buick that you are after at a fair price. Odds of finding someone that appreciates your Nova AND has a trade that meets your standards are likely pretty slim. Good luck!

dont forget we are in california.SMOG!
they hate these cars here .any mods and big bro can be all over you.be put on a list like a gun owner.

I would sell the nova first, when you have hard cash in your hands you will usually get a better deal out of somebody with strait cash, you might even have 10k left in your pocket to spend on mods...:)

I agree with Phoneguy snd the others 100%. If you cannot get someone with real knowledge on these cars to give it a once over, I would stay away. Sell your car, save the money, educate yourself on these very "particular" cars, and pounce when you see exactly what you want. Something WILL come up that you will be happy with instead of jumping on the soonest available. I am not saying any of the cars you have mentioned are bad. I am just saying that it is a HUGE difference buying a car from a known Turbo Regal guy versus buying from a guy that just happens to own one. Two toatally different dynamics. There are many of us on here that are willing to look a car over for you if you find something near us.

I really appreciate how helpful you all are being. I completely understand your desires to keep this community what it is. If a sale comes around, I will take it, and until then I will continue my research. As far as the smog situation that someone mentioned. I am active duty in the military and my home of record is Washington State, so although I live here in California, I am technically a resident of Washington allowing me to register my cars up there, but still have and enjoy them here. :)

I like that one with the red interior. But each to their own.
Trading vehicles is a difficult proposition. Keep looking until you are happy with the trade. No sense in giving away your hard work.

If I read that correct you have a 64 mm turbo. That turbo makes a lot of power/mass air flow.. I would be concerned on the stock standard crank.. Just my 02.

My GN that was built in May of '87 was titled as a Regal. I don't believe they were titled as "Grand National" until the last 4 months of the production run, when Buick extended the run. I'm sure someone can chime in to verify that.

That red interior would look nicer if the car were painted white or dark red. I think the car is a real ttype but a gnx clone. The car is black with fender vents. Of course its missing the flares and wheels and badging. Looks like a nice car but they all do online.

The car holds good oil pressure the engine I purchased as a complete long block from gn4u2c the engine was built by k&b it was in the parts for sale section. I installed the engine my self and it has an art carr 3200 nlu converter in it now.
KYB Shocks
G-Tech Front Sway Bar
Suspension Techniques Rear Sway Bar
Boxed Rear Control Arms
Air Bags.
It has a turbo tweak chip that's set up on it. It hasn't been fully tuned but runs great the way it is now.
The car made 448rwhp and 451 torque. The plenum gasket was out on the the dyno and I've replaced it since but haven't dynoed it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,
I appreciate everyone's input on this thread and like i said before, i like you how you all legitimately look out for your community and it's future members, but (not a bad but) joshrosaaen and I have gone through with the trade. I will be getting his GN hopefully next week and he included enough money on top that I can make a couple repairs, and get a head start on it. I even made my signature!!

Im sure i'll be using the search bar quite a bit, but i'll probably have a few questions, and hopefully answers too. Thanks again.

Good luck and welcome to the turbo buick world... that nova was so nice I even thought about it...