I got BAD news today

jcawley3

I have a very good friend that I have known since I was 7 years old. He is my childhood bestfriend's mother's boyfriend (man that sounds crazy huh) of 27 years (yes, he ask her 3 times she said no). He is like a second father to me. Took me on great vacation's with them, took us to out to eat all the time, showed me some of the finer things in life, stuff my parents couldn't afford due to the size of our family. Well we lost contact after I graduated highschool but about a year ago I deceided to go by his shop and see him. We have been hanging out ever since. Working on cars, (big porsche guy, drove a 911 in 24 hours of daytona) or just grabbing a beer somewhere. oh yeah now he is a huge Buick fan..it only took one ride!! brags about my car to everybody....Well I took him to the hospital 4 days ago because he was having pain in his side.....he called me today said "John, they're sending me home to die, its liver cancer I'm done buddy"...he is a very straight to the point kind of guy.... I really don't know what to do. act like everything is fine? talk about with him? I just don't understand how someone can go from laughing and walking, driving and then BAM....stuck in the bed unable to do anything for himself! I'm stuck at the station until 8am so hopefully I can pull it together before I get over there tomorrow. its in gods hands.....I just needed to get this out....thanks for listening.

I really dont know what to say other than I'm sorry. We are ALL going to die. It is the only constant other than life. Don't be afraid of it. I say that knowing full and well that I could not face the death of my grandmother. I hope you are able to do what I wasn't. :frown:

Wow that sucks lost my dad in March unexpectedly right now is hard but you have to be there for your friend if they sent him home to die and he's taking it well he's a brave man my prayers and thoughts are with you 1 minute of time will last you a life time of memories just knowing you had the chance to see him and be with him

He's a lifelong friend, thank him for that. Talk about it. You and he should not spend your waining moments together trying to avoid talking about the elephant in the room. Just be there. Talk, laugh, cry, cuss, kick and scream but JUST BE THERE! You have my deepest sympathies but you have to know that you have been given a great chance here. He sounds like a great guy. The world will be a lesser place when we lose a guy like him. He sounds like what I think would be a Buick guy. I know it's hard but try to make some Merry Christmas memories. My prayers are with you both, Jon Hanson

thanks for the kind words......I dealt with death before...but geez never like this......

He's a lifelong friend, thank him for that. Talk about it. You and he should not spend your waining moments together trying to avoid talking about the elephant in the room. Just be there. Talk, laugh, cry, cuss, kick and scream but JUST BE THERE! You have my deepest sympathies but you have to know that you have been given a great chance here. He sounds like a great guy. The world will be a lesser place when we lose a guy like him. He sounds like what I think would be a Buick guy. I know it's hard but try to make some Merry Christmas memories. My prayers are with you both, Jon Hanson

yeah.....thanks....thats what I was thinking too..

Sorry to hear about your friend. My daughters mother in law is suffering from cancer`also. Since neither have a good outcome looking at them we've decided to look into this, perhaps it may help!

[YOUTUBE]x3J76zlAnjc[/YOUTUBE]

That's rough. Sorry to hear it. I lost my Dad 13 years ago. I think of him everyday. Good part is I remember the fun times and his kindness. You will too. Take care. Prayers sent.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, my thoughts and Prayers are with you both. As already stated above, he is a very brave man, even so, he still needs utmost support during this time of trial.

as a cancer survivor I can tell you from personal experience its no joke. I have been lucky enough to have mine surgicly removed, and thankfully the follow up treatments have thus far kept me free and clear. When I found out I had cancer at first I wouldn't accept it. I was going to live forever, no silent, unknown killer was supposed to be able to sneak up on me. Yet it did, and after I accepted it I got really angry. I was angry at everyone, the drs for finding it, my wife for letting it get me, my father for dying from the same damn disease. It took alot to get me through it and if not for good friends and a loving support system I might not have made it as well as I did. I still live in fear of it coming back un-announced but try my best not to overly think of it. Your friend is going to go through a lot of emotional turmoil, your going to have to possibly take some abuse, just let him vent. Don't act like the cancer isn't there, but don't make it a blaring point every time you open your mouth. Just act normally and try to carry on normal conversations. If he wants to bring up the darker subjects allow yourself to discuss it but at the same time try your best to keep it light.

Sorry for the book and possible punctuational/grammatical errors.

Health is wealth. Until one is in a situation where it is in jepordary it will always be taken for granted. Sorry to hear about ur friend.

Sometimes I wonder if there really is a God. Why would he make such good people suffer and die and allow murders and child molesters die from natural causes late in life. Makes me question my faith often. Life is terminal from day one. No one gets out alive.

It's always in Gods hands so if that is so why give someone such a horrible thing to begin with. I guess there is no good reason, it just is I guess.

Take the man out and do some great burnouts with him.
Do things to make him smile and be happy as long as you can.

I am very sorry to hear about your friend's illness.
I will keep him in my prayers.

I am very sorry to hear about your friend.That sucks plain and simple.I have a friend 37 years old with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.37? WTF! I hear you about talking to him about it.What do you say?My mom survived breast cancer.She has been clean for over 20 years. She never wanted to talk about it in the beginning and then like a couple months went by and she started talking to everyone about it.Enjoy the time you have with him now.Always remember.LIVE EVERY DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST.God bless

Yeah, what Otto said. If hes feeling up to it take him out and show him some fun. You both are in my prayer.

thanks for everyone's kind and uplifting words...about to get off work now and go hang out with him....

as a cancer survivor I can tell you from personal experience its no joke. I have been lucky enough to have mine surgicly removed, and thankfully the follow up treatments have thus far kept me free and clear. When I found out I had cancer at first I wouldn't accept it. I was going to live forever, no silent, unknown killer was supposed to be able to sneak up on me. Yet it did, and after I accepted it I got really angry. I was angry at everyone, the drs for finding it, my wife for letting it get me, my father for dying from the same damn disease. It took alot to get me through it and if not for good friends and a loving support system I might not have made it as well as I did. I still live in fear of it coming back un-announced but try my best not to overly think of it. Your friend is going to go through a lot of emotional turmoil, your going to have to possibly take some abuse, just let him vent. Don't act like the cancer isn't there, but don't make it a blaring point every time you open your mouth. Just act normally and try to carry on normal conversations. If he wants to bring up the darker subjects allow yourself to discuss it but at the same time try your best to keep it light.

Sorry for the book and possible punctuational/grammatical errors.

thanks....glad to hear you winning the fight!

John,

Sometimes just being there and not saying anything is proper support. Reaffirming that he can call you when needed can mean alot to someone facing difficult times. Post his name (or PM me if you don't want to air it publicly) and I'll add him to our prayer list. Stay strong.

Sorry to hear about your friend. As other have stated take the time that you have now and make the best of it. If you don't you will always be saying if i only had a little more time with him. So please do it for yourself and him to make every possible minute the best it can be.

This yr has been a bad year i Lost couple of people that were very dear to me. Worth Heath was the founder and operator of the company i have worked for almost 15 yrs he was like a grandfather to me and he died a few months ago. He would always pick at me every morning about gm/buick and i would pick @ him over mopars and just general banterings. I miss him every morning when i walk into that office and he is not there.

I also lost another great friend to me Mark Riley the owner and operator of Turbo Tune in greensboro. He passed a few weeks ago in his sleep. I have known him for over 10yrs. He was my mentor when it came to speed and he had a very good outlook on life in generel. I have spent countless hours at his shop hanging out wanting to learn as much as i could.