I don't own a Buick car.

currentresident

old-tyme wrench turner
and probably won't for a while. I'm a truck mechanic who takes care of 9 wreckers. The guy who runs the warehouse where I work called me the other day and said he had something I would be interested in. They were cleaning out the warehouse of engines that hadn't sold and he showed me something covered in dust off the top shelf that looked like Buick blue. Sure enough it is a 1979 3.8 with a turbo and complete with a quadrajet. 11 years ago it was ran and showed 35lbs oil pressure at idle and 150 to 159 compression. I bought it for 75 buck to save it from the scrap iron box. It is still free and I thought it would make a novel engine to put in my 1967 Checker Marathon which is finally coming together after getting the frame sawed off at the firewall and a 1972 Buick Riviera front frame section welded on. It mostly all there except for the EGR valve, It looks like it had some kind of small manifold between the intake and the manifold below the carb. I have no idea what it looked like. Should I just cap it off and run without it?

Anyway, hello all and if this is anything like the Checker forum, the Geo forum, or the 67-72 pickup forum, then it's going to be fun.

Welcome to the board.
I think what you are missing is the turbo.
If im not mistaken i saw two on the parts for sale section.

Welcome aboard!:biggrin:

Please come to the B4black section and do a little reading. The scarry part is that the draw through system is a throw back from the early 60's and revised in 76 for Pikes Peak racing. In 78 it was brought back and ran until 83. After that the SFI systems took over and we were thrown on the shelf mostly. One of the best sites for info is BEFORE BLACK Website. Rich George owns it and has a great deal of info about the cars as well as the different systems fro 78 to 83.

If you're wondering, I'm one of the B4black guys trying to get a little more respect out of these antique cars and systems.:smile:

Welcome aboard!:biggrin:

If you're wondering, I'm one of the B4black guys trying to get a little more respect out of these antique cars and systems.:smile:

How's that working out for ya????:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

O and welcome.....To the Darkside.

:biggrin::eek::biggrin::D I'm tryng to instal electric start on his goats ankles so I can get a little action.:biggrin:

I don't have goat ankles and I'm not interested in your perversions Ty.:eek::biggrin: I'm not like you Kansas guys after all.:biggrin:

I don't have goat ankles and I'm not interested in your perversions Ty.:eek::biggrin: I'm not like you Kansas guys after all.:biggrin:

Charlie dont make me Blow you wide open over here to... crawl away quietly and take yer goat... er blankey to bed and call it a night :p ChanneL 2 lmao:biggrin:

Charlie dont make me Blow you over here to...I could use some please crawl away quietly and take my sheep/goat... er blankey to bed and call it a night :p ChanneL 2 lmao:biggrin:

Sorry Ty, but I told you, not interested there bud,:biggrin::eek:

This o boy with 3 post is going to wonder WTF happened to his thread...:biggrin::biggrin:

LMFAO! So true Ronnie.:biggrin: Now all we need is Dan and Shane to jump in and cause some real confusion.:smile:

Nah, I don't gotta wonder what happened. I know what I'm dealing with; nitrous sniffin' gearheads with the smell of burnt rubber still lingering when they walk by. :rolleyes: Yeah, tell me I'm wrong.

No, I know a turbo when I see one, even if it is really tiny compared to the ones I usually work on. I guess I gotta get a pic and post it.

Thanks for all the greetings.

Hey charlief1 thanks for the tip on beforeblack.com. Didn't take me long to find that I'm missing the EGR manifold and valve. I found a pic and know what it looks like now. The valve is easy, but that manifold is going to be really hard to come by. Any ideas?

LOL Glad I could help ya out. Finding parts for the B4black cars is more of a challenge than any of the others. Evilbay is a source of sorts but no single place out there has to many parts laying around. Take a pic of everything and I may be able to help you find it though.