Hypothetical Question

UncleDave

In the Booster Seat
This is just a hypothetical question, since I've already gone IC... Has anyone built a stroker hot air setup?

Just wondering what this combo would run: 274 stroker, maybe a 212/212 roller, ported GN1's, modded intake, adapted 62- or 65-series turbo, meth injection, custom headers and 3" DP... The goal would be to keep it as close to "stock appearing" as possible while still making serious HP. Surely someone has tried this already?

Just curious... :wink:

Don't know about a stroker but I do know someone here is running a 4.1 in a HA car. From what I remember it's running pretty good too.

Funny, my friend Pat (SloGN) and I were talking about that Saturday. He had recently stroked his car and I was so impressed with his gains that I told him if I ever kill my motor, I think a stoker hot air was in ordered. He suggested that I switch over to a 109 block if I do it, but it would make one heck of a torque monster.

I have a bud who originally planned to stroke the 4.1 in his jeep. Now, he picked up an HA in rough shape with a very tired motor, and we're throwing around the idea of putting the stroker in the TR. It's a bit more complicated but that's the short version. Actually, I'm trying to convince him to sell the whole kit & kaboodle to me. I need to work on him a bit more, but I think he's starting to come around... :D

In guess we're going to find out! I've had concerns with my car for a few months but couldn't put my finger on what was up with it. Yesterday I was doing some road testing and when I got into it smoke appeared inside the cabin. Drove it back, popped the hood and was getting a lot of blowby and the breather was smoking. A quick compression test showed cylinders 1 & 3 had 50 psi (exactly the same amount). So the headgasket gave way between those two cylinders.

So in a nutshell the engine's coming out and going to plan out a stoker. At this point I think I'm going re-use the block and not go with a 109 block.

Stroker

In guess we're going to find out! I've had concerns with my car for a few months but couldn't put my finger on what was up with it. Yesterday I was doing some road testing and when I got into it smoke appeared inside the cabin. Drove it back, popped the hood and was getting a lot of blowby and the breather was smoking. A quick compression test showed cylinders 1 & 3 had 50 psi (exactly the same amount). So the headgasket gave way between those two cylinders.

So in a nutshell the engine's coming out and going to plan out a stoker. At this point I think I'm going re-use the block and not go with a 109 block.

Eric don't worry the hot air block is every bit as strong as the 109. So build it. I'm already ahead of you though, I've got a Cat crank, Oliver rods and CP piston's on hand already. Just waiting for my motor to go before I put one together.

answer

272 c.i.--iron heads--alky--lock up convertor--hot air intake--custom headers, 3 in. dp.--24 psi and cool nite air===10.69 @ 127+
And contrary to what most people say "there was NOT any left in it"

I would much rather go with a 4.1 block than a stroker crank if you could only do one. Besides boring it .035" over and using standard 4" pistons for a significantly lower price, all else being equal it will breathe better with a larger bore vs longer stroke.

I would much rather go with a 4.1 block than a stroker crank if you could only do one. Besides boring it .035" over and using standard 4" pistons for a significantly lower price, all else being equal it will breathe better with a larger bore vs longer stroke.

actually a longer stroke keeps the piston @ tdc longer and it's a slower moving away from the head. so knowing that it actually makes the head appear bigger than compared to a short stroke motor.

I'll take the lower piston speeds and the unshrouded valves of a big bore over a stroker any day. This is especially true once you get into better heads/larger valves. The extra dwell time near TDC is very minor as far as power production.

Honestly, power has always been very easy to come by. Any displacement is good on these turbo cars as it will help spool and drivability at a given power level. I would rather have both the bore and stroke for something in the 4.5L range (got one in the garage) but if I could just do one or the other, larger bore all the way.

272 c.i.--iron heads--alky--lock up convertor--hot air intake--custom headers, 3 in. dp.--24 psi and cool nite air===10.69 @ 127+
And contrary to what most people say "there was NOT any left in it"

Lee, if you say it was done, then that's good enough for me! Still, I never thought I'd see a hot air go that fast. :) I can't find a thread listing mods, but I can only assume the heads and intake were modified to some extent? That's a lot of power using an HA intake...