Hydroboost or Vacuum?

LBNJWE4

which is better on these cars? I see alot of debate on powermaster, but not hydroboost.

Both are better options than the powermaster. Vacuum is much cheaper and can be done with parts from a local auto parts supply store and a pedal from the junkyard. Install is easy, only hard part so I hear is changing the pedal out. Hydroboost is more expensive (maybe up to 5x more) but is supposed to hold better at the line. The install involves running multiple lines and is not as straightforward as vac conversion. I switched to hydroboost and I do really like it, but it still hasn't reached it full capability yet. I had a stuck valve in the pwr steering pump during install that pretty much ruined the pump, so I need to replace it. Got a replacement on the shelf, just haven't had the time/desire to do it. If I had to do it over again, I would try the vacuum first for the cost and easier install. Good luck whichever way you go, just get that powermaster out before it gets you!

The vacuum system puts out 800 psi braking forc, the powermaster 1200 psi , and the hydroboost 2000 psi........each have different pedal feel also.

I've had Hydroboost and vacuum. Vacuum WILL stop your car but will not hold it on the line at the drag strip if you have rear disk brakes.
Conrad Carter
Hot Air

When my powermaster started flaking out I opted for a hydroboost setup. I wanted as much stopping power as I could get and the hydroboost seemed to have the edge. I had some install issues but once everything was dialed in I couldn't be happier......it feels like I could be thrown through the windshield on panic stops. BTW.....I upgraded to Baer 4 wheel disk at the same time I switched to the hydroboost so I can't say where the most improvement came from but I'm sure the hydroboost is a big part of the change.

I am keeping the powermaster in the WE4, what I have is a '79 Regal with vacuum and I am coverting the drivetrain to an '84 GN. I have all of the components to convert to hydroboost from the '84. Just wanted to know if it was worth it. From the sounds of it, it is. Thanks for all of your input, it helped me alot. I am keeping the powermaster in the WE4 because it doen't get many miles put on it and it is a numbers matching car that no major component was ever removed. I decided take all of the bolt-ons off and bring it all back to stock, except for the TT chip. That's why I am building the '79, for fun at the track, and to put some miles on.