*Hydroboost install writeup with pics*

Excellent,excellent and excellent:biggrin:

Thanks for taking the time to illustrate everything so well.

I've always liked the factory powermaster in my car. Brake feel seems better than electric and vacuum. The only problem is I had a seal go out years ago and it leaked powersteering fluid down the inside of the firewall, under my carpet.

Scored a Hydroboost from the Pullapart today, it took a little modifications to mount it but it works like a dream, and only cost $26 bucks, had to have line made at Napa, this thing stops on a dime!

Doug, I noticed you said you cut the wheel back and forth while the car is idling. I was reading on the instructions I have with me that it says to cut the wheel back and forth about 40 times with the car not started. Heard of this?

Update
From idle you can only feel minimal assist, almost like old school manual brakes.

Beautiful write up and pics! Excellent job. But IMO, what a $800 PITA! Thing is humongous, gotta' grind out the firewall adapter, buncha' fittings to leak, PS reservoir doesn't fit properly, have to cobble up the stainless return hose with a hose clamp? :eek: I'll stick to my simple, clean, 'old school' vacuum brakes, and continue to recommend them. About 2 hrs to install (slowly!), 1/6 the cost, much simpler and clean looking, and most importantly, are a model of consistancy, both in terms of reliability and pedal feel. Just my .02. Nice 'sticky' material though, for those that are inclined....

Wow, i can`t see spend $800.00, but if you have it like that, then my hats off to you.

Thank goodness my installation with parts cost $125. the lines and fitting is what cost me most of the money. I bought the my hydroboot used from the e-z pull for $10 (work excellent),off a 1997 chevy astro van. no cutting and drilling. the asto van unit bolt up to the TB powermaster firewall plate, perfectly.

Your set-up still look nice and clean. but i can`t see $800.00, because i KNOW TOO MUCH....:D
Picture077.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Picture082.jpg

Can`t complain for $125.00. Its best to use TEFLON braided line on the brake system, when compare to RUBBER braided line. DO NOT USE RUBBER BRAIDED LINE WITH ANY OR DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID ON THE HI-PRESSURE SIDE OF THE HYDROBOOST.

hi steveX

Is the HB brake actuator rod... the same length as the PM rod. I am comparing the Astrovan HB that I have with another PM system & the HB rod seems longer. Did you use the PM backing plate?

Great pics... I've been trying to figure out how to retrofit the HB into my TR.

dave

Wow, i can`t see spend $800.00, but if you have it like that, then my hats off to you.

Thank goodness my installation with parts cost $125. the lines and fitting is what cost me most of the money. I bought the my hydroboot used from the e-z pull for $10 (work excellent),off a 1997 chevy astro van. no cutting and drilling. the asto van unit bolt up to the TB powermaster firewall plate, perfectly.

Your set-up still look nice and clean. but i can`t see $800.00, because i KNOW TOO MUCH....:D
Picture077.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Picture082.jpg

Can`t complain for $125.00. Its best to use TEFLON braided line on the brake system, when compare to RUBBER braided line. DO NOT USE RUBBER BRAIDED LINE WITH ANY OR DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID ON THE HI-PRESSURE SIDE OF THE HYDROBOOST.
you're my kind of guy- why spend $800 when you can get the same thing for $100?
and just so you know- i think you can get a different brake fluid reservoir out of pretty much any GM car built from 78-96 and get rid of that goofy Astro van reservoir. i'd think something with manual brakes will have a level lid, like maybe a mid 80's 2wd S10.

Another part of the HB installation. The brake padel shaft from the powermaster will require cutting and weld to the HB shaft.
Picture111.jpg

Picture137.jpg

Here is the PM padel shaft weld to the HB. It is best to install the HB to the firewall. This will give you an estimate on how much the padel shaft should be shorten.

Picture140.jpg

This is the PM padel eye hook welded to the HB padel shaft

Hi SteveX

thanks for the pics... know I know what I have to do with my Astrovan HB.

dave

I too am getting ready to install this system but ended up with an issue. Had him send me one with bracket already on it, and the bracket was on upside down not to mention it didnt cover the entire hole on the firewall. So I opted to send it back and get the 2 bolt one with the adapter plate. Just filed the opening so its ready to go. Only, since I got the booster, powerbrake bob will not return emails, calls or anything for that matter. I am a bit ticked at the support. Can't start putting other things back together till I get this squared away. And the lady that I talk to on the phone is a nice lady but must be on something.:mad:

just went to the parts store, had them look up a 97 astro powerboost and it mounts to the fire wall pointing down at a steep angle??? doesn't look anything like the one above....

Hi

The early 90's Astrovan HB is more straight out from the firewall. For the later 90's, it is angled downwards. I don't know when they changed body styles.

go back to the parts store and check out 92/93/94 Astrovans.

Hope that helps... dave

Doug, I noticed you said you cut the wheel back and forth while the car is idling. I was reading on the instructions I have with me that it says to cut the wheel back and forth about 40 times with the car not started. Heard of this?

Dang, that sounds like a lot of work! 40 times with the engine off?!?:eek: How are you supposed to drive the car after this project if you can't move your arms anymore?:D

Hi

The early 90's Astrovan HB is more straight out from the firewall. For the later 90's, it is angled downwards. I don't know when they changed body styles.

go back to the parts store and check out 92/93/94 Astrovans.

Hope that helps... dave

Yep ! just looked at partsamerica and 95' and back are mounted straight.

I bought one at PNP over the weekend for 34 dollars, I did swap the resevior off a mid 90's 2500 so it didn't have the big and small resevior. I guess start laying out the lines. What size are the pressure fittings on the hydro 6AN OR 8AN? I would like over the next couple of weeks getting everything layed out and do the swap. I appreciate all the help so far guys. Great info!! I can't wait to get this on and see what kind of boost she will hold.

IMG_3645.jpg

Now, I went back to the powermaster assembly and disconnected the two wire connectors and the

brake lines.

IMG_3646.jpg

Just ordered a Hydroboost system... what happens when you unplug the PM wiring harness? Do either of these get reused at any point? Does the brake light come on and stay on with the Hydroboost? What about the 30 amp fuse for the PM pump; does that simply become useless? Thanks and great documentation, I'll be under the hood this weekend trying to get the ole girl up and running... :rolleyes:

IMG_3645.jpg

Now, I went back to the powermaster assembly and disconnected the two wire connectors and the

brake lines.

IMG_3646.jpg

Just ordered a Hydroboost system... what happens when you unplug the PM wiring harness? Do either of these get reused at any point? Does the brake light come on and stay on with the Hydroboost? What about the 30 amp fuse for the PM pump; does that simply become useless? Thanks and great documentation, I'll be under the hood this weekend trying to get the ole girl up and running... :rolleyes:

I just wrapped the harnesses in electrical tape and tucked them under some of the other wiring. I think you will like the hydroboost. It sucks you had to replace the p/m on such a nice low mile car, but as far as reliability goes you will be better off IMO.

Info on unit ...

I see that some are having a problem finding a hydro. unit from an Astro Van that is not slanted. I got my unit out of a 1996 Astro van. The plate is flat. Hope that Helps.

Evaddave