Hydroboost + engine shutdown = good times

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
Hydroboost requires a running engine for power assist. At the track last week, I popped the maf off when I let off the gas and the horsesneeze was just too much for the clamp on the maf. Well, the engine was still running/turning so it slowed down easily from 121+ down to about 45 or so. I was in the right lane, with a left turn off, so I was going to coast down to the end since I was ahead of the car in the left lane. Well, I got to about 45 mph and then engine died, well, let's coast and try to refire. I then noticed I had not much braking power at all with the engine not running. So I started cranking and braking at the same time hoping to fire the engine but it wouldn't fire, however, I got good brakes while I cranked it over. Be warned, it is a handful to turn left, brake and crank the key at the same time! So in your mental checklist if loss of power with hydroboost, immediately crank that thing over and you'll have power brakes enough to stop quickly then worry about turning off the track.

you need to check

the accumulator,
its supposed to hold pressure for that very reason.
unless you were using the brakes all along, then it would drain off the pressure it had stored.
also, when cranking you are SLOWLY rebuilding pressure in the accumulator,
which means ...brakes. something to keep in mind when racing,

but you'd still have manual brakes
a bit surprising when you expect a good easy pedal.

What?

can't say I've ever seen one without an accumulator.
what is this off of?
does it have a small cyl on the side of it? some are internal .
I have rebuilt these for years and never saw one without!
but there is always a 1st time.

84/85 GN Hydroboost with 81 Eldorado master on my 87 T...

423uvb9

I agree, I'm not sure if it's called an accumulator but that gold-ish cylinder seen in this pic on the side of mine, I thought, was there to hold enough pressure for a few stops. I checked into it before buying my kit and that's what I found in my searches.

IMG_4570.jpg

The stock replacement hydrobooster for the Regals doesn't have an accumulator. Your aftermarket unit above does have one (the gold cylinder) as well as the stock hydroboost in my 1996 Cobra. It certainly is a nice thing to have. :)

The stock replacement hydrobooster for the Regals doesn't have an accumulator. Your aftermarket unit above does have one (the gold cylinder) as well as the stock hydroboost in my 1996 Cobra. It certainly is a nice thing to have. :)

Do you (or anyone) have an idea on how or where to get one of those accumulators and fit it on a Regal?

if

I was going thru the hassle of installing a hydroboost system, I'd be sure it had an accumulator, either external ( gold cyl) or internal (usually has larger cyl than pictured above.)
I see no excuse for using one with out! one time loosing power and brakes is reason enough!