Hydroboost, does it work? is it worth it?

It's not a matter of being THE way to go ... it's just an option. I drove both a vacuum and hydro conversion before I made my decision and I just liked the pedal feel of hydro better.

The powermaster pedal mates directly to the hydroboost unit.

The factory power steering pump is just fine.

its a hit or miss with the reman boosters. my booster from rockauto started to leak right of way. 10 months later i have yet to take it out and send it back...doh! ...i've already bought a vacume brake pedal too...so who knows i might just try vacuum.

I bought my car with a failing Powemaster. I cannot comment on a fully functioning PM.

I converted to vacuum. It was fine for everyday driving. There is not enough vacuum to hold it at the line at the track. I could not hold the car still at 3lbs. Very frustrating. I will sell the kit cheap if anyone wants it.

Converted to hydroboost. The brakes will put you through the windshield. I love the pedal feel. I can hold so much boost on the line now that I do not even use my transbrake. Some reasons to consider the HB. HB units convert easy enough to our cars, are plentiful (new vehicles are using the HB) and the reserve prevents a catastrophic failure that a PM might produce.

One thing to consider if you go with an 84/85 HB system is that if the engine is not running there is no brake assist at all and nothing in reserve. The stock units don't have an accumulator. Not that it comes up every day, but something to consider when checking out stock versus aftermarket kits.

Keith and Jeremy conned me into doing it on my car. One of THE best upgrades I did on the car. I haven't even bled brakes yet and the car stops better than it ever has. Slows the car down real quick. Can't wait til the s10 swap gets done:cool:

One thing to consider if you go with an 84/85 HB system is that if the engine is not running there is no brake assist at all and nothing in reserve. The stock units don't have an accumulator. Not that it comes up every day, but something to consider when checking out stock versus aftermarket kits.

or just fab up a lines and use a later model hydro unit.......:wink:

Im going to vacuum for now. The hydroboost is a great unit unless car shuts off or pump breaks:eek: If either happens you got nadda just like the powermaster. I have had plenty of broken pumps with the hydro systems but mostly in trucks. Drive a 3500 dump with a broken pump:eek:. There is no doubt the hydro can hold some serious pressure. They all have good points and bad points. good luck

or just fab up a lines and use a later model hydro unit.......:wink:

I would gladly do that to have a unit with an accumulator. The question is, what unit will work with the accumulator? (Ie: what application) Thanks!

I would gladly do that to have a unit with an accumulator. The question is, what unit will work with the accumulator? (Ie: what application) Thanks!

I can shoot you part numbers tonight for your lines and such.

If you're interested in the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle, go with manual (no power assist).

I know of no completely trouble free brake system - even manual can fail.

I am happy with the HB. I was never happy with the vacuum.

What is the rotaional direction on the stock pump CW or CCW ? My car is in the body shop so I cannot pop out and look, plan on going with some PSCMotorsports components and Hydratech

Is it overkill to use S-10 rear wheel cylinders when going to H.B.?? I have all the parts except the brake lines to make the conversion and want to do it this spring...I'm having a real hard time holding any boost on the line..Once it goes through the vaccuum and gets to 0lbs wheels are starting to spin...Can't wait to be able to go to the track and be able to launch the car with some boost!!!

Yes, if you want to do it once with good parts, no rebuilt crap, talk to these guys !

My show prepped unit arrived and looks fantastic, a case of "you get what you pay for"
Very helpful tech and sales guys.:D

That site looks like powerbrakebob's site. He was scamming members on the board and was banned. If I'm wrong I'm sorry about that.:)

:cool:
Nope these guys are the real deal, if I could find a midget with little hands to get the damn brake pin loose from the pedal and locate those 4 bolts under the dash, my need a beer factor would decrease...:tongue:
Adding the new aluminum remote reservoir and line loc at the same, lots of layout to do to make it nice, seen too many cobbed installs.:eek: