Hydro boost to Vacuum Conversion Problems

Super Kaz

I'm converting my 85 from hydro-boost set-up to a vacuum set-up. Bought a used vacuum set-up from a member on here. Everything went good, got the old stuff out, got the new booster/master and pedal changed ect. My problem is the fitting on the lines are the wrong size and wont thread into the master. The fitting on front one (closest to nose of car) is too small and the rear one is too big. I searched and didn't read anywhere about needing adapters?

I'm converting my 85 from hydro-boost set-up to a vacuum set-up. Bought a used vacuum set-up from a member on here. Everything went good, got the old stuff out, got the new booster/master and pedal changed ect. My problem is the fitting on the lines are the wrong size and wont thread into the master. The fitting on front one (closest to nose of car) is too small and the rear one is too big. I searched and didn't read anywhere about needing adapters?

Just curious..........Why are you removing the Hydro Boost?

You just need to flip them around.

The front one becomes the rear one and the rear becomes the front.

Thats how my mechanic did mine and if you're still not sure a simple search on here will come up with same answer.

Just curious..........Why are you removing the Hydro Boost?

I just bought the car a few weeks ago. It's a 85 wh-1 with a 87 GN motor/trans swapped in it. Guys cousin swapped it in for him he told me. So when I bought the car the guy told me the brakes where hard. The p/s works fine, so I just assumed the hydro boost was going out. So I thought it would be a good time to just convert it to vacuum. Weird part is when I removed the hydro boost and it's lines, I found the lines where not even connected to the p/s pump? And it looks like there is no where to connect them. I assume it has a 86-87 p/s pump and lines on it now. It also came with a power master unit in the trunk. I think it might work if I swapped the pump back to a 85 and bought new lines, but I'm this far into the swap so I'm just going to stick with the vacuum brakes. Funny thing is I now have all three brake set-ups.. I don't know if they work but I have them! LOL

Great.. lol

Well I just got two adapter fittings so I can always go back.

uploadfromtaptalk1364266637713.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

if im not mistaken, the lines are swapped into the wrong positions by using the adapters.

The way it is right now is front to front and back to back how it came off the car. Are you saying I need to put the front line on the rear and the rear line in the front?

The way it is right now is front to front and back to back how it came off the car. Are you saying I need to put the front line on the rear and the rear line in the front?

correct. as of now, your lines are reversed

Super Kaz said:

Yes, that's what I said in my first post.

since you have it hooked up like this, take a short careful drive and see how it is.....you may have stumbled on a better way to install vacuum brakes.

I guess I will bleed them and see what it does. Thanks for everyone's help.

But this is why I used the adapters. Here is the master cylinder specs for both hydro boost and vacuum:

hydro boost:

Application: Turbo
Notes: With hydroboost
Installation Hardware Included: Yes
Item Grade: OEM Standard
Master Cylinder Bore Diameter (in): 1.062
Master Cylinder Color / Finish: Metallic
Master Cylinder Material: Cast Iron
Master Cylinder Port Sizes: Primary 0.562"-18 , Secondary 0.5"-20
Master/Slave Cylinder Type: Push
Package Contents: New Brake Master Cylinder, Reservoir, Bleeder Kit
Product Condition:
New

Vacuum master cylinder:

Application: Except Turbo
Notes: Master cylinder comes with a new reservoir installed. Except Powermaster.
Installation Hardware Included: Yes
Item Grade: OEM Standard
Master Cylinder Bore Diameter (in): 1.417
Master Cylinder Color / Finish: Metallic
Master Cylinder Material: Aluminum or Cast Iron
Master Cylinder Port Sizes: Primary 0.5"-20 , Secondary 0.562"-18
Master/Slave Cylinder Type: Push
Package Contents: New Brake Master Cylinder, Reservoir, Bleeder Kit
Product Condition: New

I would hesitate to Leave the two lines connected in this manner. From what I have read the bigger line is for the front disc brakes and the smaller one is for the rear drum brakes. Not an expert, but I think GM did that for a reason. Maybe there is a pressure difference between the two lines? who knows? I know that on my big ugly hydroboost master cylinder the reservoir for the Front brakes is much bigger than the one for the rear. Your reservoir is like this too. The car will most likely stop but and this is just my opinion...... remove the adapters and bend the lines a little.