Hydraulic roller problem - cam sensor tight HELP!

He still hasn't mentioned if he's using the same cam sensor and the same timing cover. If those are the same ones before the build they may not be a factor.

D

Hi,
Same cam sensor and the stock timing cover (not an aftermarket.

You either have a pos Chinese timing cover with an improperly machined sensor hole, or the cam thrust surface is too thick. I had the cam cut .040 at my local machine shop to get the proper fit. I had the luxury of having both the old oem cam and an Edelbrock flat tappet stick lying around. They measured identically, but the Comp surface was off. If you have the thick thrust surface, be glad you caught it now. You also have lifter to adjacent lobe interference as a result. All sorts of mayhem will result if that is not corrected. Keep in mind, that you will have to reset cam thrust button clearance with the front cover if you get the cam recut. No big deal, but necessary to compensate for the changes. I had this problem way over a year ago, and it is somwhat surprising that these cams are still being turned out. I cannot help but wonder how many motors had problems due to this. Thanks, Rudy.

Hey Rudy, Its the stock timing cover and cam sensor too... This cam was built by Comp in Early '08. (I know its taken me forever to build this!) Anyhow, after measuring on the weekend, it appears that is is about .032" forward. (additional .032" on the thrust) Now, the measurement was not a comparison against a stock cam, but a measurement of the difference between the upper timing chain gear and the lower gear when in position. (the upper gear was .032" forward) Also, the lifter rollers are "off-center" of the lobes...
Greg

Good deal, Greg. Makes sense if the cam is from a few years back. Others have exchanged the cam with the selling vendors for a proper spec unit. I just had mine recut locally. Either way, you have your problem isolated. Not a big deal with the motor on the stand. Thanks, Rudy.

Good deal, Greg. Makes sense if the cam is from a few years back. Others have exchanged the cam with the selling vendors for a proper spec unit. I just had mine recut locally. Either way, you have your problem isolated. Not a big deal with the motor on the stand. Thanks, Rudy.

The thing is, Comp is not recognizing the fact there was a problem with their cams a few years back. Remedied or not, it is the responsibility of any manufacturer to own up to their mistakes. IMHO. That being said, I am glad it happened on the stand...not in the car. Thanks, Greg

The thing is, Comp is not recognizing the fact there was a problem with their cams a few years back. Remedied or not, it is the responsibility of any manufacturer to own up to their mistakes. IMHO. That being said, I am glad it happened on the stand...not in the car. Thanks, Greg

Imagine how many poor guys were victims and still don't know what the heck happened.... Once those lifters hit the adjacent lobes it's all over. $$$$$$$