Hydraulic Roller Cam Choice

AKTURBOTA

I presently have a Comp Cam in my 4.1 it was purchased from Full Throttle and is one of their Revolution hydraulic rollers. Its specs are:

Intake 210 @ .050 .516 lift
Exhaust 215 @ .050 .516 lift
110 L/S (installs at 110)

(lift with stock rockers)
Best street/strip cam with 2800+ converter Stock idle and drivability. STRONG midrange power

The idle quality was rather smooth, but you could tell it had a cam.

I am having to rebuild the 4.1 motor in my TTA and was pondering the prospect of getting more aggressive with the cam I was thinking of going with another Full Throttle Revolution hydro roller as follows:

Intake 215 @ .050 .516 lift
Exhaust 220 @ .050 .529 lift
112 L/S (installs at 110)
Best max effort street/strip cam for 231" with 3500+ converter Choppy (but not too bad) idle, smooth idle in stroker and good drivability. STRONG midrange top end power. Roller rockers recommended

Has anybody used the cam above? Were you happy with its idle quality? I have a 3200 stall torque converter would I need to upgrade to run this cam in my combination. Please see my sig for what I have. I am thinking that the extra 21 CID would create more torque to overcome the need for a higher stall torque converter. What do you think?

I think I have that same cam in my 4.1 (with stock rockers but I lowered the shaft pedestals .025").

It idles like it's got a cam in it but I raised my static compression up to 9:1. That compensated for a lot of the extra duration.

Honestly I wished I has a smaller one but it was given to me and I had enough mods to possibly support a big cam. I believe I left a bunch of gas mileage on the table with that big ass bumpstick

You asked questions, but you never said what you performance goal is?

If you want more HP, the more aggressive cam will help a little, but to gain HP, it will need to peak at a higher RPM.

This may be a gain at the track, but probably not on the street?

Yes, for optimum performance, street or strip, that 66mm turbo will want more converter. I run a 3800 stall with my 4.1 street car using a 66mm. :)

I am looking to get the car into the low tens, but don't want to really sacrifice a lot of idle quality and gas mileage. I am going to get my transmission to shift at 6,000 rpm, cause right now it shifts at 5,000 rpm max.

I run the 215/220. It idles fine at about 850RPM, pulls 15" vacuum.

6000RPM would be a bit high for a shift. I like to see mine shift at 5850.

That cam is a bit aggressive, and when combined with big injectors it will need to idle a little fat. Mine likes 13.0-13.5 AFR. It will not idle any leaner.

Also it needs a little extra spring pressure to keep things under control. I had to use PAC 1201's to make it work. Compare those specs to what you have now.

I have the Comp Cams behive springs...I guess I could shim them to get more spring pressure? How many #;s are actually required? Can you record your car's idle and submit a sound bite, so I can hear what the idel sounds like?

Thanks,
Mark

IMO the difference between both cams doesn't warrant the change. I have seen a 210/210 hdy roller already run mid 9's at 140mph. I would spend the money elsewhere and up the compression in that motor close to 9 to 1, get a better intercooler, bigger injectors and a Racetronix double pumper; sell the Walbro 340 and you would have one hell of a car on your hands.

I would have to check my notes but if I remember correctly I'm at about 145lb on the seat and ~400lb or so over the nose on the intake. I'm pretty sure I have it posted around here somewhere..... previously at ~130 and ~360 it was not happy at all.

these vids might give you somewhat of an idea about the idle characteristics. I can post another one later that has quite a bit of idle in it.

click:

click:

IMO the difference between both cams doesn't warrant the change. I have seen a 210/210 hdy roller already run mid 9's at 140mph. I would spend the money elsewhere and up the compression in that motor close to 9 to 1, get a better intercooler, bigger injectors and a Racetronix double pumper; sell the Walbro 340 and you would have one hell of a car on your hands.

this is true. fairly small change going from the 210/215 to the 215/220 grind.

I would have to check my notes but if I remember correctly I'm at about 145lb on the seat and ~400lb or so over the nose on the intake
Did you set the exhaust valve different or the same and what ratio rocker are you running with that cam on I and E .

Did you set the exhaust valve different or the same and what ratio rocker are you running with that cam on I and E .
All valves are set up with the same installed height. 1.55 ratio scorpion stud mount rockers.

I presently have a Comp Cam in my 4.1 it was purchased from Full Throttle and is one of their Revolution hydraulic rollers. Its specs are:

Intake 210 @ .050 .516 lift
Exhaust 215 @ .050 .516 lift
110 L/S (installs at 110)
Best street/strip cam with 2800+ converter Stock idle and drivability. STRONG midrange power
The idle quality was rather smooth, but you could tell it had a cam.

I am having to rebuild the 4.1 motor in my TTA and was pondering the prospect of getting more aggressive with the cam I was thinking of going with another Full Throttle Revolution hydro roller as follows:

Intake 215 @ .050 .516 lift
Exhaust 220 @ .050 .529 lift
112 L/S (installs at 110)
Best max effort street/strip cam for 231" with 3500+ converter Choppy (but not too bad) idle, smooth idle in stroker and good drivability. STRONG midrange top end power. Roller rockers recommended

Has anybody used the cam above? Were you happy with its idle quality? I have a 3200 stall torque converter would I need to upgrade to run this cam in my combination. Please see my sig for what I have. I am thinking that the extra 21 CID would create more torque to overcome the need for a higher stall torque converter. What do you think?

Hello Mark, it's good to see you back here again. Steve (BEATAV8) knows what he is doing. I would pick his brain as much as I can if I were you!

Prasad