Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam Read

I was doing some research on flat tappets and went on Reed cams web site and found this Reed Performance Products, Inc. - Our Commitment , I e-mailed them to see if they would be offering this for the buick motors, when I get a response I'll let everyone know. By the way I'm looking at the Ruggles grind heard its a good one.

i wouldn't be too quick to jump on that program even if they do it for the GN engine------the minor differences even from one production block to another can create different wear patterns in the lifter/cam interface------this problem is especially true in older engines like ours due to production tolerances of 20 years ago------and its multiplied by minor wear in lifter bores------its been my experience that reusing a used cam with used lifters is a iffy thing even when they go in the same location UNLESS it is put back into the same block it came out of--------swapping blocks is a not so good an idea unless you use new lifters and start the breakin process all over again------give it a little while and see what happens-------i'll take bets they abandon this program after it yields less than favorable overall results............RC

I'll wait and see. Still up in the air about going roller or flat tappet, $ Issue, but if they offer this service for the buick motor and it is successful do you believe using new lifters and following proper break in procedure,along with correct oil and ZDDP will lessen the chance of failure? I know, its like im asking you for the winning lottery numbers. LOL.

Wonder what the cost of that is? Go roller and you don't have to worry about any of that.

I'll wait and see. Still up in the air about going roller or flat tappet, $ Issue, but if they offer this service for the buick motor and it is successful do you believe using new lifters and following proper break in procedure,along with correct oil and ZDDP will lessen the chance of failure? I know, its like im asking you for the winning lottery numbers. LOL.

for many reasons roller is the way to go-------its just technical progress------sort of like choosing electronic fuel injection over a carb-------that said if you avoid the problems that really are the result of newer oil formulations combined with poor products (China, Taiwan, etc) a flat tappet cam should give the same reliable service they have for decades--------its really simple-----use GM lifters with any good name brand quality cam and keep the ZDDP level in the oil where it used to be (1500 to 1800 PPM) before the changes in formulation--------you will have no problems.............RC

I was even considering cryoing the cam and lifters, but I would have to get a price first to see if its feasible cost wise.

I was even considering cryoing the cam and lifters, but I would have to get a price first to see if its feasible cost wise.

By the time you get done cryoing the cams and the lifters you will close to the price of at least a roller camshaft....

I also sent you a pm.
Steve Chambers

Ive used quite a few of the Reed cams in my day and Ive never had a failure. In fact, the only failures Ive ever had were Lunatti's and more than one of them.

If you do a good break in, youre probably fine. Im one of the biggest fans of roller cams there is but if you're confident on your mechanical ability and you do a good break in, I'd go for it if a roller is out of your budget.

By the time you get done cryoing the cams and the lifters you will close to the price of at least a roller camshaft....

I also sent you a pm.
Steve Chambers

when you understand what happens between the surface of a cam and lifter you would know that just making the parts harder is not a solution RC

when you understand what happens between the surface of a cam and lifter you would know that just making the parts harder is not a solution RC

I don't believe comprehension is the question here, rather, economics...

I have also researched getting my camshaft and lifters and cryoed. Even when buying new, you account for ALL variables, shipping back and forth, etc etc, imo he will be close to buying a roller camshaft, which will eliminate the cryo process even being an option (at least for a 10 sec car) like what he is building...

Also my suggestion was AGAINST the process for the poster from an economical standpoint, for the poster, it was not a suggestion of the direction he might need to go in......

Also just to give you an idea pricewise

Home - 300 Below, Inc.

They have an itemized price list, of course the prices might be cheaper/more expensive in your area.....but its a good starting point.....

I don't believe comprehension is the question here, rather, economics...

I have also researched getting my camshaft and lifters and cryoed. Even when buying new, you account for ALL variables, shipping back and forth, etc etc, imo he will be close to buying a roller camshaft, which will eliminate the cryo process even being an option (at least for a 10 sec car) like what he is building...

Also my suggestion was AGAINST the process for the poster from an economical standpoint, for the poster, it was not a suggestion of the direction he might need to go in......

i realize you suggested against it--------didn't mean to point the comment directly at you-----it was a general comment-------its just that the cam lifter interface requires a slight amount of surface deformation to work correctly----------and changing the hardness and depth of hardness can do more harm than good...............RC

i realize you suggested against it--------didn't mean to point the comment directly at you-----it was a general comment-------its just that the cam lifter interface requires a slight amount of surface deformation to work correctly----------and changing the hardness and depth of hardness can do more harm than good...............RC

Really.....now that I DIDN"T know.....but how much harm can actually be done? In other words what would be some effects (Bad) of this process. If I couldn't find my forged crank, I was going to get a stock crank and get that cryoed....but I knew the pros of the process and not necessarily the cons....

Really.....now that I DIDN"T know.....but how much harm can actually be done? In other words what would be some effects (Bad) of this process. If I couldn't find my forged crank, I was going to get a stock crank and get that cryoed....but I knew the pros of the process and not necessarily the cons....

a crank and a cam are totally different and the forces and strength requirements are different------and the lubrication is totally different-------a crank is hydrodynamic and a cam is elasto-hydrodynamic and boundary------the plastic deformation that occurs to the metal at the lobe and lifter face at the extreme tip of a cam under boundry lubrication conditions is a rather delicate engineering compromise in flexibility vs hardness--------and only the best quality products have it nailed down------i don't feel qualified to comment on the crank related to this cryo process but i do have some educated thoughts on the cam/lifters---------its rather late tonight and i will try to get to it in the next day or so...........RC