Hybrid G-Body...should I or shouldn't I?

87 Cent FL Grey T

Well, it's decision-making time for project car time....

I've been tossing all sorts of ideas around...from as simple as a 350 swap into a F-body or G-body, a 5.0 swap into a 4-cyl Fox Body, or just rebuilding and restoring something with a V8 in it already.

I've been wanting to get into a Turbo Regal since I can remember now, and I'm wondering if I can take on the long-term task of swapping a 3.8 Turbo Hybrid, into another G-body, or a 3rd gen F-body.....The parts that scare me in my reads, are the wiring, the dash/gauge conversion, and possible frame adjustments...Some of the routing of piping and additional frame work onthe F-bodies seems pretty difficult also.

Would I be getting in way over my head??? Should I just stick with the easy project(s), or what do u think....looking for some input from those of you that have built a hybrid, particularly with another G-body or an F-body.

thanks,
JC

Hell man, I have zero prior experience but I haven't let that stop me. Having said that, let me also say I'm still a ways off from completion as well. A G body swap has been done many times, and it's pretty straightforward but there are some issues you will have to deal with. Most G bodies were carbed so for fuel injection you will need either an in tank hanger (over $450 in my case, and very hard to find) or a sumped tank with an aftermarket external pump, and the relays and wiring to make it run. The dash wiring I'm trying to work around by swapping the TR dash into mine. It's the same dimensionally, but the harness won't work. I have the original GN dash harness, so it should be plug and play, in theory anyway. Speaking of harnesses, you will also need the engine management harness too, but these are available in the aftermarket for a price. The 7.5" rear end will not live long behing the turbo motor, several options are available depending what you want to spend. I scored an 8.5 from a T type complete with aluminum drums for $850 (Thanks Scott) but I really don't know if that's a high, low, or average price. If your G body is pre 84 (I think) the trans crossmember needs to be relocated on one side, post 84's have both xmember locations from the factory. Exhaust is the same on G bodies behind the cat and readily available. In my case, I scored the complete engine, trans, harnesses, stock I/C, radiator, the A/C&heater box, sway bars, and a few bits and pieces for $2500. Again, I have no idea if this is average or what. There are many forums to get help on, with many knowledgeable people here that will try to help if asked. Oh yeah, you'll need time and lots of it. Hope this helps.

I've been wanting to get into a Turbo Regal since I can remember now, and I'm wondering if I can take on the long-term task of swapping a 3.8 Turbo Hybrid, into another G-body, or a 3rd gen F-body.....

There has never been a better time to buy a turbo regal than right now...Buy one that needs a LiL body work and have fun while you restore it....