How would you rate this student film?

Carr

Cinematographer
This student used to be in my class but left because he said no one in my class takes filmmaking seriously. I heard about this film he made last month and finally got a hold of a copy. And he wants my opinion about the film. It's suppose to be a Drama, but its so funny. And some how he got one of the hottest actresses in school to be in it.

It's so worth watching.

YouTube - the worst student film ever

I don't know what to say. As a scene from a film it may have been okay. Acting was campy and the guy really did not project the image of a cop. More like a store clerk maybe? Anyway, as a stand alone idea I think it was not complete enough. If it had not been for her "grabbing her boobs" you would not have been sure of their real relationship. IMO, it really did not accomplish anything. Sort of like the movie "Open Water" if you would walk in on the middle of it. You know what is going on but you have absolutlely no idea of why they're in the middle of the ocean.

As far as the camera work and pacing, that was actually okay. So I don't know if the problem would be the directing, the writing, or the acting. I'm sure either way it is better than I could have done but you don't have to be a mechanic to know your car is not running right.

Well this is a POV project film, which in the POV Project, the director had to write a short film or recreate a scene from a movie. He choose to write his own short film. And the object of the POV, is who's story is it about and who is telling it. The scripting does not make any sense at all. I heard that the actors made him take their names out of the credits, which is kind of funny.

I do mostly Director of Photography in school, but I also do a lot of casting directing for fellow students, so I'm very annal about the overall look of the film and casting. The directing was the worst that I seen in a while, cause the director will make the acting good or bad. And this student has a master's in acting, so he should have a idea about motivation and working with accents. As far as camera work, framing with lead space could be better. A lot was non motivated. There's a pan correction of her medium close up that should of been corrected before, not during the take. only one shot is white balanced. Everything else is either too blue or too yellow, which shows there's no motivation for the lighting, and no one heard of color collective gels. it's also very flat lighting, and never place lights on the ground, which in ending shot the light was on the ground pointing up at her when she walks down stairs. her shirt blends into the non white balanced walls. A really big no no in film school is you never shoot blank white walls. Because it's not pleasing to the eye and just makes it look like a student film. There's a plant in the two shot that makes it look like theirs leaves coming out of her eye. and the milk jug blocks her boob when she references it. No ambiance of room tone for audio was used.

You got to bare in mind this is a NYFA student in the 2 year program that also has a master's in acting, so his work should be pretty good.

really, what film school do you go to? I'm a New York Film Academy film student.

I want to meet the actress, I got a little "art film" that I would think she would be great in. ;)