How to turn up the boost???????

AlvinB24

I just bought my first TR, an 87 t-type, and im wanna start modding it!!
Its totally stock right now, i noticed just driving it around a little that it only goes to 11-12psi max. How do i turn up the boost on a stock setup? and what is the safe limit for how much boost i can give it?
Im new to all this TR stuff so thanks for the help!!

Hey! I'm also new to TR's, but when I first got into them I asked the same exact question. Alright...their is a gold wastegate at the bottom of the turbo that has a rod comeing out of it where it is stuck on the turbine houseing. To turn up the boost Take it off the little peg on the housing...screw the rod IN so it gets shorter...then pull the rod back on the peg. You should be able to run 15-16psi safely. Start off with little turns...and it is better to tune it at night when it is cool and you can test the boost out. Also do you have any kind of knock scan device? Have fun with your TR and take care of it! Peace.

Well, the above is only true if there is an adjustable wastegate already installed, they were not adjustable stock. Must first get an adjustable one or make one by cutting a section out of the rod and threading the ends and get a $3 bolt from Home Depot.
Now before you do any WOT blasts of any kind, you need to make sure the fuel system is up to par. If it has the original fuel pump, it ain't ready for any kind of boost. An 18 year old pump isn't going to keep up and the sock is probably clogged up. So first order of business is get a Walbro 340 and a hotwire kit and new filter...then as mentioned..a scan tool of some kind and minimally a manual boost guage cause the stocker is very inaccurrate. If no scan tool that you can watch the road at the same time, then get a knock gauge also...put the boost and knock gauge in an A-pillar mount.
Then you are ready to safely start the modding and upping the boost a little watching for any signs of knock.

You may think this is too much but if you do it yourself, and a fuel pump on these cars is easy...but fp, hw, guages will set you back about $350-$400.

And if you don't do this, be ready to replace a set of head gaskets minimally or at worst the entire motor.

Hey DarkBluT, where were you at last Saturday? We had about 14 Turbo Buicks at Redline! Last race of the year is Sat Oct 8th.

My bad...i goofed lol. Still new.

Couldn't make it...and this saterday is my schools homecoming.....so its going to be hard...what time is it at and where? I will try to make it this saterday just need the info!

DrkBluT-TyPe said:
My bad...i goofed lol. Still new.

Couldn't make it...and this saterday is my schools homecoming.....so its going to be hard...what time is it at and where? I will try to make it this saterday just need the info!
The last race is not this Sat, but is Oct. 8th, gates open at 6pm, Redline Raceway, exit#83 on I-30 about 30 miles east of Dallas...you'll see the track on the left as you exit.
Car show is this Sat at Chucks where I saw you at last month.

Thanks for all the replies!! I got a few ?'s
1. When you guys say get a scan tool, do you mean a scanmaster, or an actual scan tool?
2. Also what kind of fuel pump should I buy? An intank like a walbro 340? Or one of the double pumper types that I have been reading about?
I plan on making this a VERY fast street/strip car, cuz it will only be driven on the weekends anyways. I would like to eventually get into the 10's maybe if i can!! But i will work my way there. I figured i would let everyone know what my goals are before i go throwing parts and money at this thing that i will just have to change later to go faster!! Anyone got some advice on getting to the 10's? Like turbo size, injector size, stock intercooler? I also plan on putting Alky on it.
I know this is alot, but im new to these things and this seems like the right place to go, lots of good people here that really know these cars!!
Also i should add that the engine has a fresh rebuild with only about 1k miles on it and trans. As far as i know it was just a stock rebuild.
Thanks for all the help!!

A Scanmaster will work fine. In fact I would not make any performance modifications or turn up the boost without one.
A good single in-tank pump such as a Walbro 340 and a hot-wire kit should handle your fueling into the high 10's.
I don't run in the 10's so I wont give you any advaice on that but to mention that you will need quite a bit of safety equipment to do it legally.