How to tune an LS1

BJM

I want to know more about LS1s. I have heard of LS1 Edit but I can't find who sells it. Is it expensive, what can it do, etc.

I was thinking of getting one but I want to be able to tune it myself. After doing my own Buick's chips I do not want to be at the mercy of some expensive tuning outfit.

Anyone here have one themselves?

I had a 00 ws6 ram air Trans Am.. not bad to work on.. great motors.. ****ty rear ends and terrible clutches... heads, cam , gears exhaust.. good for mid 11's on motor.... easy. Ls1 like nitrous. upper intake is phenolic material.. go with a Formula or Camaro.. they are lighter.

I know very little about the late F bodies. Was there a non-LS1 V8 offered?

I see an add for a local convertible, its a 2002, it says 320 Hp which I assume must be the LS1. It is an auto, I really want a manual. What is the automatic version like on these cars? Am I wasting my time with an auto?

LS1 is the only V8 offered, all vettes have it, unless its a Z06, which has an LS6. F body's could be purchased with LS1's or V6's. Looking into one myself........

Westside500

Originally posted by Westside500
I had a 00 ws6 ram air Trans Am.. not bad to work on.. great motors.. ****ty rear ends and terrible clutches... heads, cam , gears exhaust.. good for mid 11's on motor.... easy. Ls1 like nitrous. upper intake is phenolic material.. go with a Formula or Camaro.. they are lighter.

I take it you sold your car since then? What made you get rid of it? It looks awfully hard to get at the engine on those things witht the windshield where it is.

I have had a ton of car and trucks..25 of them! (I'm 33)... just get tired of them... thats all. I would get an auto.. they will save your rear end longer than a 6 speed. Ls1 in the f bodies came out in 98 to 2002.

They had the lt1 in the f bodies from 93-97 with 285hp in the final year.. The lt1 had more low end torque, but the ls1 smoked the car from mid range up...

My Buick is not far from stock. I run 18 psi on 94 but have never gone to the track. What will a stock LS1 feel like? I want to go faster if I can, not slower.

Originally posted by BJM
My Buick is not far from stock. I run 18 psi on 94 but have never gone to the track. What will a stock LS1 feel like? I want to go faster if I can, not slower.
Well, with the stock 3.42 gears. its quick but not neck snaping. Now, with that being said.. with a 6 speed ... go with 4.10 gears.. then you will feel the power!.. I ran 13.09 with 200 miles on the car with the paper tags on it... all stock.. put Borla, asp race pulley... plugs, wires , gear and went 12.41... they are quick.

Dont know how to "tune" them besides ls1edit but I do know theyre a PITA to work on IMO.You have to drop the whole front suspension and k member.I just helped a friend put a 6.0 Escalade crate engine in his 00 z28.Car wont touch my GN:D

Thanks for the info, I am just building up some knowledge here. I know they drop out the bottom of the car but what about more basic stuff. Is working around the engine tough. I think my Buick is bad getting the #6 plug out, but I am sure there is worse.

Originally posted by BJM

I have a 98% stock 87 GN (for now, just purchased a few upgrades) and a 99 Formula with bolt on's. Too me the LS1 seems faster but not by much. The GN is lots of fun to drive but to feel the power as you know you have to build it (boost) with the ls1 you just punch the gas when you are doing 40 and you go, no lag or waiting. My buddy has a bone stock 98 Z 6 speed that he went 13.1 in with only drag radials and he is a great driver, I have only run mine one time and by best was a 14.2 spinning 1st&2nd. If you like the muscle sound and power they are great. I could not be more happy owning a LS1 & TR, each one is unique in its own way but as far as a car to jump in and drive distance LS1 hands down, but for a nice weekend cruzer and a toy my GN is the best. Parts are also very plentiful for the LS1 and well priced, I just purchased a set of mid-length headers and off road Y pipe for under $500. As far as LS1 edit, I don't use it but I have several friends that do and love it, Its easy to use and works wonders for them. Hope my $.2 helps but rest assure you wont go slower :cool:

Originally posted by 87GN_ponykillr
I have a 98% stock 87 GN (for now, just purchased a few upgrades) and a 99 Formula with bolt on's. Too me the LS1 seems faster but not by much. The GN is lots of fun to drive but to feel the power as you know you have to build it (boost) with the ls1 you just punch the gas when you are doing 40 and you go, no lag or waiting. My buddy has a bone stock 98 Z 6 speed that he went 13.1 in with only drag radials and he is a great driver, I have only run mine one time and by best was a 14.2 spinning 1st&2nd. If you like the muscle sound and power they are great. I could not be more happy owning a LS1 & TR, each one is unique in its own way but as far as a car to jump in and drive distance LS1 hands down, but for a nice weekend cruzer and a toy my GN is the best. Parts are also very plentiful for the LS1 and well priced, I just purchased a set of mid-length headers and off road Y pipe for under $500. As far as LS1 edit, I don't use it but I have several friends that do and love it, Its easy to use and works wonders for them. Hope my $.2 helps but rest assure you wont go slower :cool:

Sounds good, glad to hear from someone who has both. My Buick has developed an annoying miss at idle, many parts swaps later I am still looking for it. Luckily I can do my own chips so I raised the idle speed to mask it, but I am annoyed at it.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a newer car to play with. I think the Buick is a strange transition car, modern electronics on an ancient body. Its cool but has the complexity of a new car without the diagnostics and the problems of an old car, floppy frame, bad suspension for handling, etc. Its cool like nothing else but frustrating sometimes. I'm just venting, don't mind me.

I love the fact that I can crank up the boost as I learn to tune it better whereas a non-turbo you wind up coaxing air into the engine.