How to replace shifter cable

BOP4ever

1987 GN 200R4 shifter cable.
Do I have to take the console out ?
Is there a step by step guide somewhere on this job ?

Thanks !!!!

I can't answer all of the questions but the console does have to come out. And buy only the GM cable, not aftermarket:mad: We installed 2 aftermarket cables in one day and both came apart at the end closest to the shifter. If you do a search regarding the cables there is a recent thread about this issue. One of the more knowledgeable members will be able to answer your questions and will soon. These guys are great when it comes to sharing information and knowledge. Good luck.

Cable is discontiued,some venders have them but they are going up.:wink:

Is there a guide to removing the console?
I figure the shifter Handel mustbe removed.
I already got a cable from autozone...
I read one post here that his lasted 6 years....

You'll need to remove the console. I didn't find a guide, but it's pretty simple. I'd put the shifter in D prior to starting. You will need to take off your T- handle first (remove retaining clip and gently pull up). Then pull your ash tray out. There should be two small screws under it that come out. Then lift the rear of the console shifter plate up, and slide it towards you and out. There should be two more screws inside the console compartment and several more up near the actual shifter. Then, lift and slide the entire console out. At this point, I think all you have left are 4 bolts mounting the shifter to the tunnel and the removal of the pin from where the shift cable attaches to the shifter.

I got my car with an aftermarket shifter and have been returning it back to stock. I would have given you bolt sizes but I can't say for sure if I have the right sizes myself!! Hope this helps.