how to replace my coilpack?

kandc7

hi everyone. i just got my coilpack and wanted to know how to remove the old one and install the new one. it came with like 3 different gaskets. witch one do i need to use? thanks for your help

A lot of us replace the ignition module at the same time, but to replace the coil pack give yourself about 1 hour of time or 2 depends how it goes for you.
Are you aware of the cylinder #'s and there order? Passenger side front of car is cylinder #1, cylinder #2 is front driver's side, #3 is behind #1 on the passenger's side, etc. You will need to know this when doing the reassemble.
1) Pull all the plug wires.
2) I think it's a 8mm socket that fits the wire connector on the drivers side of the coil.
3) Take off the 3 bolts that hold the coil bracket on the car, the one that's toward the fire wall is a little tricky but doable.
4) Using a torx screw driver carefully disassemble the coil pack from the ignition module.
5) Unhook the wires between the two parts, note there locations.
6) Assemble the wires from the ignition module to the new coil pack after getting the gasket in the "loop" (once the wires are hooked up, it ain't gonna happen).
7) Reassemble in reverse order.

Chuck

thanks for the info! i got it replaced with no problems and the car runs great now!

took me about 15 minutes to put a new coil pack in my old boss's 87 GN. the car only has 35,000 miles on it, but he got a new one because it was 23 years old at the time..

It is also important to break off one of the tabs on the back of the coil pack and order a new one....oh wait, that's what I did...not what you are supposed to do :). Seriously though, I found that if you take the whole bracket off that it sits on and take it in the house where it's cool, you will do a better job.

A lot of us replace the ignition module at the same time, but to replace the coil pack give yourself about 1 hour of time or 2 depends how it goes for you.
Are you aware of the cylinder #'s and there order? Passenger side front of car is cylinder #2, cylinder #1 is front driver's side, #3 is behind #1 on the driver's side, etc. You will need to know this when doing the reassemble.
1) Pull all the plug wires.
2) I think it's a 8mm socket that fits the wire connector on the drivers side of the coil.
3) Take off the 3 bolts that hold the coil bracket on the car, the one that's toward the fire wall is a little tricky but doable.
4) Using a torx screw driver carefully disassemble the coil pack from the ignition module.
5) Unhook the wires between the two parts, note there locations.
6) Assemble the wires from the ignition module to the new coil pack after getting the gasket in the "loop" (once the wires are hooked up, it ain't gonna happen).
7) Reassemble in reverse order.

Chuck

Wow, did I have the cylinder numbers wrong or what?? And nobody caught it, #1 is driver's side front, #2 is passenger's side front, #3 is driver's side center, #4 is passenger's side center....
Just so happens that I did this to my car tonight, with the casper's coil tester found that my coil was toast on the middle coil. Started thinking, shoooooot I have the firing order messed up on the board..... sorry guys.

Chuck