How to replace BOTH hinges on door......

fbodlovr

1/4 Mile Freak
I know one of the things I am going to be told is to use the search function, but I did. I didn't see a write up where it explained how to replace both hinges, especially one that showed how to replace them without removing the door.

So, I have a new set of hinges that I got from a guy here on the boards a couple years ago, and have never installed. My door sags probably a half inch or so. I really want to get these put on soon so I dont have to keep slamming the door shut. I have seen for the upper hinge that you can loosen all bolts on the upper door, and loosen the bolts on the lower hinge that are hinge to door? and slip the top hinge out, and bolt the new one in. Is that correct?

So, say I do that, and I get the upper hinge in, everything tightened up and I still want to go ahead and replace the lower hinge. Can I do it almost the same way, just reversed? Loosen all bolts on the lower hinge, loosen bolts from hinge to door on upper, and remove lower hinge?

If doing it this way would work, would there be much adjustment necessary? I REALLY don't want to take the door off and cause myself a lot more headache with having to adjust the door to fit.

Thanks for any help guys!!!

Open the door
Put some kind of support under the door
Remove the top hinge
Install the new hinge but do not tighten completely down
Do the same for the bottom
Remove the support and check the door for alignment
Top to bottom, front to back
Loosen the bolts and move as required
Tighten the bolts
Recheck for proper alignment with the body and window

Will the upper hinge come out without loosening the bottom? I didn't think there was enough room to get it out, and slip the new one in. Also, it looks like the hinge on the car side was welded from the factory to the car. Do you guys just use a dremel or something, and cut that weld?

Is that what that is? It's just a half inch or so at the bottom of each hinge on both sides. Sure is hard too. That good be a good way to know where the hinges go atleast! Atleast I hope so. lol

I know one of the things I am going to be told is to use the search function, but I did. I didn't see a write up where it explained how to replace both hinges, especially one that showed how to replace them without removing the door.

So, I have a new set of hinges that I got from a guy here on the boards a couple years ago, and have never installed. My door sags probably a half inch or so. I really want to get these put on soon so I dont have to keep slamming the door shut. I have seen for the upper hinge that you can loosen all bolts on the upper door, and loosen the bolts on the lower hinge that are hinge to door? and slip the top hinge out, and bolt the new one in. Is that correct?

So, say I do that, and I get the upper hinge in, everything tightened up and I still want to go ahead and replace the lower hinge. Can I do it almost the same way, just reversed? Loosen all bolts on the lower hinge, loosen bolts from hinge to door on upper, and remove lower hinge?

If doing it this way would work, would there be much adjustment necessary? I REALLY don't want to take the door off and cause myself a lot more headache with having to adjust the door to fit.

Thanks for any help guys!!!

are you sure that you really need to replace the hinges--------i have been able to fix dozens of cars with doors that drooped more than you describe by only replacing the bronze bushings in the hinges------they are only a few dollars and the original hinge does not have to be removed to do it------in all cases where i have done this there was no realignment required-------it always brings the door back to original perfect alignment and there is no evidence that it was ever done.....................RC

Well, Ive already got the hinges. Would it not line up perfectly still if I do like stated above?????