How to re-install a full gas tank by yourself the easy way....

Brandon#

I was impatient and decided it would be fine to install my new fuel pump without emptying the tank... What a PITA. Working by yourself, and on the ground, makes it tough to re-install the tank with the weight constantly shifting as the gas sloshes around. The floor jack just wasn't working for me.

I ended up using 2 atv straps and used them as "slings" under the tank, mounting them at the regular strap mounting points. I was surprised how easy the tank "flew" up into place. Cinching them up little by little, and readjusting the pitch of the tank made this job so easy that I thought I should share.

I thought this may help someone in the future, so I added a pic

Edit:
Another tip: Install the factory fuel tank straps on the rear first, and then the front. It will save a lot of headaches trying to do it the over way around.

Last edited:
Working on the the ground is a pain. I use an electric in line pump with some rubber lines to drain the tank. Good idea with the straps it looks like it went up there pretty nice that way.

Even being able to empty the tank some, this still seems like a good idea

Why would you put gas in a new tank before installing it?

I wasn't installing a new gas tank, I was installing a new fuel pump in the current gas tank that was 3/4 full.

I would probably still use this method on an empty tank. It made lining it up so much easier than trying to balance it on a jack, or muscle it into place while trying to attach the straps.

Another idea is leave the tank straps hanging down, then use a floor jack with a square piece of plywood and line the tank in position and jack the lift up to it's position, and tie down the tank straps.

I used this method when I replaced the transmission by myself since there was no one around to give me a hand. Yes I too did this replacement on the floor with a car ramp and jack stands on the rear.
Wife was wearing a good set of ear plugs;)

you could also just leave the straps in there and have a tank that you could drop in 10 seconds with no tools...

i've seen worse things done..

Another idea is leave the tank straps hanging down, then use a floor jack with a square piece of plywood and line the tank in position and jack the lift up to it's position, and tie down the tank straps...

X2

Attachments

• IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 185
Another idea is leave the tank straps hanging down, then use a floor jack with a square piece of plywood and line the tank in position and jack the lift up to it's position, and tie down the tank straps.

I used this method when I replaced the transmission by myself since there was no one around to give me a hand. Yes I too did this replacement on the floor with a car ramp and jack stands on the rear.
Wife was wearing a good set of ear plugs;)

Yeah, I tried that too. I found that with 80 lbs of weight that quickly moves to one side if you're not perfectly balanced makes for a lot of 4 letter words. I am sure a bunch of people have gotten it to work, but I just gave up after it fell to the ground a couple of times

There are various ways and methods when working on cars, not right or wrong just different, and by knowing what others do I find it helpful in many cases.

A car was towed in last night with a no-fuel issue and after checking this AM, the pump would not run, and of course it was full of gas?

After dropping the tank on the floor with a jack, the pump was removed and the wiring issue fixed. Installed the pump and attached a long rubber line to the outlet.

Knowing the full tank would kick my ass doing this alone, I plugged in the connector and replaced the blown fuses to check the pump, and pumped out the 80 pounds of fuel so I could easily put the tank in place with the floor jack! :)

Not just for full tanks, I have my bone dry tank hanging in place with straps. I have to aquire the right bolts (size & length) from the hardware store to bolt up the straps. In the meanwhile it is hanging in place with straps.

once I get the tank on the stands, I siphon all the gas out into fuel jugs. I'd never attempt to put it back in any heavier than I have to.

once I get the tank on the stands, I siphon all the gas out into fuel jugs. I'd never attempt to put it back in any heavier than I have to.

So whats the best technique to get good suction on the hose? What do you do if you get some in your mouth?

Last edited:
Getting some in your mouth isn't talked about in civilized society.

......and wash it down with beer. :)

Pretty good idea, I had full tank and tried to bench press it, had to call a friend. Two floor jacks worked.