how to mount ramchargers dual fan?

trbojo

'Stang Stinger
just got my ramchargers dual fan setup today. i was wondering if there are any tricks or problems with the installation, or is it a direct drop in? no instructions with it. i don't know if there's supposed to be or not. i probabaly won't have a chance to get to it until the weekend. thanks in advance. also, the new fans are rated at 2340 cfm. does anyone know the rating of the stocker?

Its not an exact "drop in". You have to cut the four ears off of the fan shroud and it will go right in. I went a step farther and made up some support brackets that tied it into the existing factory mount locations. The result was an installation that looks stock.

BTW, I love those fans! A freshly recored radiator and those fans..I haven't ever gotten above 175* even in traffic. Well worth the money!:D

I have a question: Do you need to buy anything in addition to the fan, like a wiring harness? Or does it use an existing connection? I've been considering this upgrade.

do a search under my name here in the tech section, you should find a few good posts about the wiring and how to install
BW

if you cut the ears off of the sides, what do you use to mount the assembly?

I took some short pieces of aluminum plate and made a couple tabs to bolt into the stock upper mounts and just through bolted them through the fan shroud. I mounted the stock fan attachment tabs to the bottom. Trim the ears off so that the entire fan module fits between the rad end tanks.

The firing harness makes it plug and play. I had to install a jumper in my harness to allow my console fan switch as well as computer operation of the fans.

I bought some various aluminum pieces from the Home Depot, along with some small stainless nuts and bolts. I used them to attach the stock lower bracket on the bottom of the new fan just as it was used on the original fan. I then also made some tabs to attach to the upper bolts on the core support that the factory fan used. I only trimmed off the tab that bumped into the power steering unit for ease of install. I wanted the tabs to be there (or at least part of them) so that they can prevent the fan from bumping the radiator core.

Regarding the wiring, I suggest you modify the adapter that Ramchargers sells. It is wired such that the factory low fan relay powers both fans on high. You can easily split these wires in the harness so that you use the factory high - low relay setup and split the load.

Originally posted by bob86gn
I took some short pieces of aluminum plate and made a couple tabs to bolt into the stock upper mounts and just through bolted them through the fan shroud. I mounted the stock fan attachment tabs to the bottom. Trim the ears off so that the entire fan module fits between the rad end tanks.

The firing harness makes it plug and play. I had to install a jumper in my harness to allow my console fan switch as well as computer operation of the fans.

i did the same, thing, i love those fans, you just cant beat the price either

Pictures sure would be nice so we can actually see how you guys have mounted your fans. :)

Anyone mount the fans who is using a CAS V-4 intercooler?

so you have to drill holes through the new shroud to mount the brackets, right? as stated before, does anyone have pics?

I guess I'm confused about the Racetronix Harness. I have already bought this and wired it to the Ramchargers dual fans. I haven't shaved the tabs or mounted the thing in my car yet (kinda hard when I'm 5,000 miles away from the GN) but I'm always looking for more "how-to" info.

I thought that with this harness the fans would operate exactly the way the stock fan does?

Also, does anyone else use the old Kenne-Bell high/low fan control that gets wired into the resistor that goes to the stock fan?

I want the fans to work just like the stock configuration, but I also want the ability to put them on high at the touch of a button if I so desire.

I don't know much about the racetronix deal. I ordered the adapter from Ramchargers with the fan. The fans independently have high and low operation, and the adapter splits the low from your low relay to both high and low wires on the new fan. Essentially, the adapter eliminates the high relay because the low relay makes it run high. IMO, if this adapter had been wired in the same manner (straight thru hi-to-hi and lo-to-lo), then there would be no modifications needed.

I went a little nutty and added a single relay for high operation, and left the factory harness unchanged. In short, the harness connector at the fan is still used. The factory low relay runs one fan on low, and the factory high relay kicks my added relay to turn both on high. This required that I re-wire the dual fan harness. In hindsight what I did was NOT needed if I had just corrected the adapter.

My manual switch still operates high as it did before.

I meanto to take pics of the brackets last night. Sorry.

Originally posted by scottyb
I don't know much about the racetronix deal. I ordered the adapter from Ramchargers with the fan. The fans independently have high and low operation, and the adapter splits the low from your low relay to both high and low wires on the new fan. Essentially, the adapter eliminates the high relay because the low relay makes it run high. IMO, if this adapter had been wired in the same manner (straight thru hi-to-hi and lo-to-lo), then there would be no modifications needed.

I went a little nutty and added a single relay for high operation, and left the factory harness unchanged. In short, the harness connector at the fan is still used. The factory low relay runs one fan on low, and the factory high relay kicks my added relay to turn both on high. This required that I re-wire the dual fan harness. In hindsight what I did was NOT needed if I had just corrected the adapter.

My manual switch still operates high as it did before.

I meanto to take pics of the brackets last night. Sorry.

How is this possible when both the green and yellow wire must have power for high speed fan operation? Green or yellow having power at any one time only provides low speed fan? The low speed and high speed inputs must be active at the same time to achieve high speed fan operation.

Here are some threads which will help:

http://www.t6p.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5970

http://www.t6p.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6207

Originally posted by Racetronix
How is this possible when both the green and yellow wire must have power for high speed fan operation? Green or yellow having power at any one time only provides low speed fan? The low speed and high speed inputs must be active at the same time to achieve high speed fan operation.

Here are some threads which will help:

http://www.t6p.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5970

http://www.t6p.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6207

Yeah, I know. I went a little nutty and rewired the while dual fan harness.. I routed the factory relay to the green on one fan, then my new hotwired relay(triggered by factory high) to the green and yellow on the other fan, plus the yellow on the "low" fan. I realized after I was done that it was a wacky setup, but I wasn't about to go re-do it since I already taped and buttoned it up. I was frankly kinda pissed I didn't just modify the adapter and be done with it.