How to maximize your SLIC.

the fact that it actually works is awesome...the sheer cool factor makes it that much more slick...u and ur neighbor could make some dough with this kind of ingenuity...great work

Mike, send a link to Dennis Kirban and see what he thinks. I'd bet he'd be interested in doing something about it.

This is a pretty cool idea, I think I remember reading something similar like this setup that Red Armstrong did on his wife Jane's car which was featured in GMHTP. Great work, it's neat to see people thinking outside of the box.:cool:

post away

i'd like to see pics, too bad your not fabricating them, i'm sure you'd sell several depending on the price. as you see there is alot of interest in them.

How many miles have you put on it so far? Is durability a problem? The components look solid enough. The only real problems I could foresee are speed bumps and possibly the linkage binding.

How many miles have you put on it so far? Is durability a problem? The components look solid enough. The only real problems I could foresee are speed bumps and possibly the linkage binding.

I put about a thousand miles a year on this GN. Most of them are a 1/4 mile at a time;). This shroud has been on my car for about 7ish years. I was worryed about the rubber diaphragm in the actuator being affected by the heat. So far, so good. I have scuffed the powder coating a bit on one or two big speed bumps. Nothing that a sharpie couldn't take care of. That's it for maintenance.:)

You guys liked this thing so much, here's another one-off on my car.

enjoy.
https://turbobuick.com/threads/my-custom-aluminun-turbo-shield.305748/

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Last edited:
Hey Mike...you ever get one of the neighbors kittens....or kids:eek:.... scooped up in there?

I had to scoop the guts of a Filipino Fruit Bat out of the heat exchanger ECS ducts of an F/A-18 Hornet in the hot Philippine sun once...trust me...you don't want that mess...so I hope that door can slam shut before you suck up a critter on a high speed run.

Not yet.

Hey Mike...you ever get one of the neighbors kittens....or kids:eek:.... scooped up in there?

I had to scoop the guts of a Filipino Fruit Bat out of the heat exchanger ECS ducts of an F/A-18 Hornet in the hot Philippine sun once...trust me...you don't want that mess...so I hope that door can slam shut before you suck up a critter on a high speed run.

When I do scoop up a squirrel at mach speed, I know who to call to help clean it out. ;)

Mike B.

When I do scoop up a squirrel at mach speed, I know who to call to help clean it out. ;)

Mike B.

Well...heh, heh....to be more clear....I didn't actually do the cleaning of the bat guts.
But I did watch....from a distance....
For the record...a Filipino Fruit Bat get's a wing span larger than 2 feet....I think I even saw some bigger than that floating across the flight line....
When they go, "Splattah...." they make a big freakin mess.

I was an E5/PO2nd Class at the time...so what I did do was say this:
"Ooooh....that's nasty...someones gonna love this job....gawd that stinks BAD!"
"Hey Dirtbag Alpha n' Dirtbag Bravo!"
The Dirtbags A and B were my complimentary E1 airmen all wide eyed and fresh out of Navy tech school....great guys...I kinda miss them.
Where was I?
Oh yes....
I was beckoning the Dirtbags...
"Get your happy @$$es and tool bags over there, pop those ECS panels off that bird and scrub that smelly bat crap, blood and intestins out of the heat exhanger before it cooks on any worse than it already has."

"I'll be over here napping in the shade should you need any helpful direction and finger pointing.":cool:
"Oh....and you're gonna need a few buckets of fresh water, brushes and probably some Naptha....."
"Don't inhale."

So...I can nap in the shade, provide helpful direction and point fingers if you need me to...but the squirrel you inhale with that thing is all yours, buddy.:D\
Good thing we cleared that up.:biggrin:

-------
By the way....I've seen this piece on Mikes GN and it is a nice set up.
Mike does very solid and detailed work.

Maybe you could put spoolfool in touch with Dirtbags A and B, and give helpful directions and point your fingers via a web cam

care to sell that original scoop for the v4?...Mine got beat to hell because of this nasty hump in my driveway. Let me know----Thanks

care to sell that original scoop for the v4?...Mine got beat to hell because of this nasty hump in my driveway. Let me know----Thanks

Send me a PM, and make me an offer.

Mike B.

that is a pretty slick set up I will have to talk to my buddy he actully works for siemans he is one of their commercial technicians. He may have a few laying around on his work truck.

Man that's one cool idea and the fact that you can make it work is AWESOME!!!! Keep up the good work.

I just threw out 1 of those actuators last week when cleaning my garage. :rolleyes: I had the same idea but never made it past that point. I sometimes come across the when updating control systems. They are used for pneumatic HVAC controls. Anyway, nice work. That came out awesome!