How to locate a bad ground?

2toneNV

My Limited does not have working dash lights and/or interior lights. The only lights that work are the lights for the factory boost gauge and the scanmaster. Also the radio works fine as well. I know I must have a bad ground because when I turn the headlights on the factory boost gauge lights go out. Furthermore, I had to replace my TCS in the tranny 2 weekends ago and everytime I crawled back under the car I would grab the frame and get a quick shock.

Where would be the most likely places to look for a loose ground???:confused:

Were you wearing your double knit pants when you received that shock? Those knits are known for static electricity !!!

Negative, it rarely gets cold enough for those! I still need some direction!?!?!?!?!

Sounds more like a fuse but the majority of the grounds are on the back of the pass side head. I would assume the tach/boost guage get dimmer when you turn the lights on, they would need to be alot brighter to see during the day than at night. I would check the fuses first.

Sounds more like a fuse but the majority of the grounds are on the back of the pass side head. I would assume the tach/boost guage get dimmer when you turn the lights on, they would need to be alot brighter to see during the day than at night. I would check the fuses first.

John,

I checked all of the fuses at the beginning. None were blown...too bad.

the back of the cluster has a copper stamped wiring. some time they get a tad corroded and get a bad connection. Clean those connections and bend the ends so the contacts will be tighter. Also check your dimmer switch and the wiring to it. if some one put in gauges. they some times tap into the wiring behind it and may have broken the wire.

lemme know if it helps
Steve

My 86 GN does EXACTLY tha same thing, i have checked the fuses, as well as the headlight switch, all seems fine. there was another thread on here somewhere talking about a ground wire under the shifter consol. i have not checked mine yet. but it sounds like theis is a common enought problem. kind of supprised there is no real answer???