How to increase WOT gear shift firmness in 2004R

PaulRV6

What can I do to this trans to help increase the 2-3 and 3-4 firmness of these shifts at WOT?
The 1-2 is great and so is 2-3 / 3-4 around town but what I want is a tighter shift at WOT. I would like it to snap a little harder when changing gears only at WOT. The trans works good but just seems soft at WOT.
I have a shift kit in it from ART CARR and rebuild parts from PTS.
What can I do while the pan is off changing the filter and fluid? Tighten the band, new servo, new shift kit?

Looking for help and ideas on this.

paul

If using the stock pan and filter is the pan over filled to the middle of the back and forth bends on the dipstick?

Put a psi guage on it and post up the PSI's.

What vane pump?
What psi reg setup..boost valve size?
Dual fed directs?

Here is some info to your questions:
Pressure readings

idle 1500 rpm full TV
Park 112 250
Rev 200 285
Neu 112 256
OD 112 252
3RD 112 250
2ND 260 274
1ST 260 275

- 4th gear has a Alto red 3 clutch kit from PTS
- I think a 7 vane pump w/ teflon coated bushings
- I'm not sure of the boost valve size but it has an art carr shift kit and springs installed.
- No dual fed directs, I was not sure how to do that when I rebuilt the trans.

Let me know what else I can tell you about it. Thanks

paul

Here is some info to your questions:
Pressure readings

idle 1500 rpm full TV
Park 112 250
Rev 200 285
Neu 112 256
OD 112 252
3RD 112 250
2ND 260 274
1ST 260 275

- 4th gear has a Alto red 3 clutch kit from PTS
- I think a 7 vane pump w/ teflon coated bushings
- I'm not sure of the boost valve size but it has an art carr shift kit and springs installed.
- No dual fed directs, I was not sure how to do that when I rebuilt the trans.

Let me know what else I can tell you about it. Thanks

paul
What size hole is the 4th oil feed? What accum spring are you using? Your pressures are good. You dont want it too firm into 4th or you will crack the OD planet splines.

BISON, not sure what you mean by size of 4th oil feed hole, I don't remember drilling any holes anywhere except in the valve body spacer plate. Where do I look for this?

Which is the accumulator spring? I might be able to tell from what was in my kit I got from PTS.

How about a little firmer into 3rd?

PAUL

BISON, not sure what you mean by size of 4th oil feed hole, I don't remember drilling any holes anywhere except in the valve body spacer plate. Where do I look for this?

Which is the accumulator spring? I might be able to tell from what was in my kit I got from PTS.

How about a little firmer into 3rd?

PAUL
Yes. The 4th oil feed in the plate, the accumulator spring in the case below the plate is for 4th, many posts about increasing WOT 2-3. Dual feeding and other mods to the apply piston and hyd circuit will create a very firm 2-3 WOT shift if the correct hard parts are there to take the hit. Shift itming is critical for a clean 2-3 shift since you are releasing a band and applying a clutch compared to an early 3 speed where you are just applying another clutch

3rd shift

Just go buy a CK shift kit and it comes with a new plate and a spring that fix all 2-3 problems.

To further answer your question Bison, the accumulator has a white spring installed and the plate is drilled with 1/8" holes in three places (per art carr instructions). I believe one of them is the 3rd clutch hole. Thanks

paul