How to identify a cam?

jdpolzin

I pulled the cam out of my motor the other day and I'm wanting to try to idenify it. There are a few numbers on it but I havent been able to cross reference them to anything. The cam is definately not stock and I know has very low miles on it. It is a flat tappet cam. Is there any way to identify these?

P.S. The lifters had "JOHNSON" on them.

I know I know!!!!!!

OK, working from the back of the motor towards the timing chain:

1. Very back horizontal surface has small stamped numbers "394870"
2. Just after the last cam lobe "B8" and "16"
3. about 3/4 of the way down the shaft 1/4 from the last lobe "D2" and "C2"
4. just past that closer to the chain "CWC"
5. then after the closest lobe to the chain "1308" and "I.5"

This motor is an "NA" 4.1 but it has been resently worked with forged pistons. I dont know the previous owner but the crank is turned .010 and the cylinders were punched to .040 so I'm thinking he was trying to squeeze as much power out of the motor as possible. He also had an Accel distributer on it. Although I dont know what compression the pistons were set for, I plan to use them. This is an experimental motor just to play with so I'm not too worried about it. It has big valves in the 8445 heads also so thats a plus! I'm wondering what cam this is and if he may have used a turbo cam.

Thanks for any info you guys can give me! ------Jeremy

That would be good. I dont think think this is a stock cam though. It looks brand new and this motor has been rebuilt.

Does it have the oil groove on the front journal?

related: is it necessary to remove the cam IOT properly identify the ratio? I've been trying to ID mine but wasn't exactly sure how to go about it...

I can positively tell from all the things you have mentioned so far that it’s definitely a Buick V6 cam.

HTH
Prasad:D

This post was from back in 2009. I'm actually using this cam in one of my cars right now. Turns out this is a Ruggles 200/200 cam.

Damn! Lol i Keep forgetting to check the dates on these threads lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner