how to help pass smog

aketech

what has worked good for me is to;
1 put in new spark plugs right before you go
2 change the oil right before you go,I read that if you have old oil in your car that it will have a slight amount of gas in it and you hg will be higher
3 make sure the timing is right on were it should be
4 use 87 oct gas less octane means the fuel will burn all the way (just for the test go back to high octane after that)
5 if you have to were your pipes go over the axle put holes in the top of the tube then get it fixed right away(I know its not the best idea but it works)

please don't nail me to the cross I'm just sharing my info

My car has passed consistently each time since 1995 (gross polluter when I purchased it and has not failed since). But drilling holes into the exhaust is a bad idea for California. One phrase "Dilution Correction Factor" or accronym DCF. The DCF compensates for exhaust leaks (and as long as the sample is not below the dilution threshold) and averages what it can sample. Usually, it will average on the conservative side. That means it will average to possibly reading a dirtier sample that what is actually coming out of the exhaust. Bottom line is when holes are drilled in the exhaust system (attempting to dilute the sample), your chances of failing the emissions potion of the test increases. The closer the sample gets to going below the dilution threshold, the dirtier the reading (less of the emissions to sample, so more extrapolation). IMHO, if your car is properly tuned (and the O2 sensor and cat are working properly), there should not be a problem with passing emissions.