How to get my 87 GN in Mid to Low 12's in 1/4

candclebleu

i have a 87 GN it has cold air intake, TT chip, no cats and a scanmaster, looking to go mid-low 12's looking for ideas on what to buy to get it there???

Make an alcohol injection kit and get sticky tires.

It takes more than just this to get a TB in to the twelves.

You "may" also need to turn off the AC and release the parking brake.;)

It must be time for bed.:eek::D

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

intank pump,alkycontrol,mt street radials,low to mid 20's on boost add some timing with no knock,shift kit on the trans.

I would say ALKY is the biggest and easiest way to get his done. Stickys and maybe have your tranny checked out and some mild updates. I personally found that when I swapped my cars downpipe and exhaust...it really came to life. The ALKY just made me turn up the boost. Even so, the downpipe and cat-back made a huge improvement over the stock parts. I would also consider the fuel pump and injectors. They are old. Just 1 tired injector and headgasket go BOOM!!!

***NOTE TO VENDORS***
This question is asked 100 times a year on this board. Someone out there should just put together the recipies in a kit form and save the beginners alot of time and decisions. Make it a check list and give the options that are always discussed.

just a thought.
:biggrin:

First ....

comes knowledge.:confused: If you are new to turbo cars, take the time to learn about the TR's. It will save you lots of time and $$ in the long run. It's easy to blow head gaskets when you don't know "what-why-or-howcome?"
There is gnttype.org & vortexbuicks-etc.com that can help w/the knowledge part, as well as asking as many questions as necessary on this forum to propel you forward at a safe pace.
The scan-master is a great tool, but if you can afford to add the power- logger to it, I think it's around $260.00, you will be set when you're ready for ten's. There is also a forum for S-M and p/logger updates and Q&A, ETC.
You won't be left out in the dark.
Keep in mind that knock kills the bottom end and the symptoms are first the headgaskets. If you continue to ignore the symptoms, you could end up joining the "dotcc"(driving over the crank club!):eek:
So first things first, read, read, read, P/logger, maybe a knock gauge or audible knock alarm, low boost levels<16#s, and start by doing the spring cleaning found in the gnttype site. If there are other gn owners clode by they can give you a hand as well. ck the forum index for clubs close to you.
Happy motoring!:cool:

***NOTE TO VENDORS***
This question is asked 100 times a year on this board. Someone out there should just put together the recipies in a kit form and save the beginners alot of time and decisions. Make it a check list and give the options that are always discussed.

just a thought.
:biggrin:

Turbo Buick Performance Build Ups/Recipes

Pick one.;)
Grant it, some of the info is dated, but the general recipe's are reliable.

Increase airflow through the motor. By that I mean larger MAF like the 3.5" LS1 or 3" LT1. Free flowing air filter. Dutt necked intercooler. 3" or better downpipe, no cat, and 2.5"exhaust. Adjustable fpr, upgraded pump and hotwirekit. TT chip along with an injector upgrade and ALKY. A scantool if you don't have one. With the proper tune you will then need a boat anchor to throw out the window to meet your mid 12 goals, without the anchor you might exceed it.

Here is my list turbo tweak chip, 3000 stall, scanmaster, TE 60 turbo, ebay intercooler, 3" downpipe dumped, cai, and drag radials. Went a 12.04 at 18 lbs and would have been faster but it had knock on that pass.

Here is my list turbo tweak chip, 3000 stall, scanmaster, TE 60 turbo, ebay intercooler, 3" downpipe dumped, cai, and drag radials. Went a 12.04 at 18 lbs and would have been faster but it had knock on that pass.

Was that on stock heads and a stock TB?

I went 12.010@109 on an unopen motor, stock intercooler, and a TE-44 on 18psi with a 1.61 60ft with the stock converter.

Address any fueling issues and pour 10 gallons of c16 into the tank. Get some drag radials or preferably a set of slicks. Practice launch technique. Use the e brake if necessary as already described. Close the gap on the spark plugs down to .035 and start turning the boost up. You should be able to run mid 12's your first time trying. It will take 21-22psi and a decent 60'. I'd have TT burn a new chip for the better fuel with more duty cycle and some more timing.

12.7 at 107 for 2 seasons with very little in parts besides a chip (KB Mag 4 back in 91-92)
Good sticky tires, K+N Open air breather & about 21-22 lbs boost. Oh ya, an air bag.

yes i need to go run it like it is to see where im at now, also what is an airbag? what would be a good turbo upgrade? 60lb injectors?