How to get a title for a car that was won?

I used a Lost Automobile and Old Car Titles about 10 years ago. It was $200 back then, they sent me a New Hampshire registration, I took that to the Maryland DMV, everything went smoothly, and I got my title a week later. If that fails part the bastard out, to hell with it.....:(

I have done a lost title recovery myself. What you will want to do is contact the DMV in your state and ask them exactly what has to be done. You will need to know the REGISTERED OWNERS name/address, send them a certified letter asking them to sign off on a provided DMV form releasing interest in the car. If they sign or the letter comes back not signed for then you will use that as proof of release of interest i the car. You will need a letter from Brian Weaver indicating how he came into possession of the car from the previous owner. Once you have built your packet you will send everything to the DMV to whatever address they specify, and they will make a determination as to whether they will issue a title to you. It does make things a bit more complicated because of the value the car now holds. But again, you HAVE TO CONTACT YOUR DMV to find out the exact process. No one can spoon feed you the procedure. Go forth and learn. Have any problems getting the R/O's information from the vin or previous plates? Contact your local po-po for that information.

I used a Lost Automobile and Old Car Titles about 10 years ago. It was $200 back then, they sent me a New Hampshire registration, I took that to the Maryland DMV, everything went smoothly, and I got my title a week later. If that fails part the bastard out, to hell with it.....:(
I used the same company for a lost title for a motorcycle once. Went very smooth. Took a couple weeks and about a $100.00 if I recall.

..... No one can spoon feed you the procedure. Go forth and learn...

FWIW, I did not ask you to spoon feed me squat. I'm 40 yrs old and quit that long ago.:rolleyes: All I asked was..."Is there a way to get a title for a car without the previous owner/owners having to produce one? I always thought it couldn't be done, but read somewhere that it could...anyone know? " Word for word from original post....plain and simple question.
I really appreciate everyone's help/suggestions. I always thought once you had a vehicle with no title, registration or previous plates, you were pretty much screwed. Guess I was wrong.
Seems like a lotta bs for something that should have been readily available 7 months ago. Outta sight, outta mind, I guess. :frown:

FWIW, I did not ask you to spoon feed me squat. I'm 40 yrs old and quit that long ago.:rolleyes: All I asked was..."Is there a way to get a title for a car without the previous owner/owners having to produce one? I always thought it couldn't be done, but read somewhere that it could...anyone know? " Word for word from original post....plain and simple question.
I really appreciate everyone's help/suggestions. I always thought once you had a vehicle with no title, registration or previous plates, you were pretty much screwed. Guess I was wrong.
Seems like a lotta bs for something that should have been readily available 7 months ago. Outta sight, outta mind, I guess. :frown:

They, the powers that be, have tried to shut the title companies down many times but they are still going as far as I know.

Wasn't the last real owner a turbobuick.com member, I remember that car being in the cars for sale section before.

They, the powers that be, have tried to shut the title companies down many times but they are still going as far as I know.

Wasn't the last real owner a turbobuick.com member, I remember that car being in the cars for sale section before.

Yes, it was and I contacted him. He said it was picked up by a transport company a month or so after it was paid for. Then said that the title was signed by him as the seller and the buyer was not filled in. The title was then put into a sealed envelope and signed for by the driver and it went with the car.

Yes, it was and I contacted him. He said it was picked up by a transport company a month or so after it was paid for. Then said that the title was signed by him as the seller and the buyer was not filled in. The title was then put into a sealed envelope and signed for by the driver and it went with the car.

So can't he just go down to the local DMV, apply for a lost title and then give it to you when he gets it????? I bought a 95 camry from a guy who lost the title.........he did this and had the new title in 10 days.

I don't want to call this whole thing shady.....so I'll just talk it up to irresponsibility.

Get responsible. Fix it. Let this die.

That sure does sound like an easy way to do it. Is the previous owner willing to help you out?

So can't he just go down to the local DMV, apply for a lost title and then give it to you when he gets it????? I bought a 95 camry from a guy who lost the title.........he did this and had the new title in 10 days.

Yes, I suppose thats possible. He was under the impression that the car was out of his name...but who the heck knows.:rolleyes: He did tell me that if he could help, let him know. I will check on that...good idea. Thanks...

Yes, I suppose thats possible. He was under the impression that the car was out of his name...but who the heck knows.:rolleyes: He did tell me that if he could help, let him know. I will check on that...good idea. Thanks...

The car is NOT out of his name untill someone else transferrs the title to their name.

If you were to go out with it, wreck, and kill someone... he could be liable right now being the "Legal" owner.

If he's willing to help, it's the easiest way. His DMV will issue a new title, and he can send it directly to you (signed of course:wink: )

Good Luck.

The car is NOT out of his name untill someone else transferrs the title to their name.

If you were to go out with it, wreck, and kill someone... he could be liable right now being the "Legal" owner.

If he's willing to help, it's the easiest way. His DMV will issue a new title, and he can send it directly to you (signed of course:wink: )

Good Luck.

Shane (SGRIM) told me that the title was not in his name via pm.

Nothing is adding up. If it's not in his name then who did he sell it too? If it's in gbody's name then they could get a lost title right? So did he sell it to a guy that sold it to gbody's?

Nothing is adding up. If it's not in his name then who did he sell it too? If it's in gbody's name then they could get a lost title right? So did he sell it to a guy that sold it to gbody's?

Welcome to my world.....:(

WOW! WTF Doesn't anyone do "Bill of Sale's" anymore? Iv'e bought and sold more vehicals than I could ever count and every single time I have made a "Bill of Sale" with the buyer & seller's name and address on it.

Thats just crazy! I hope you get things sorted out.

Scot W.

Shane (SGRIM) told me that the title was not in his name via pm.

Then it sounds like it is still in the other guys name you said that would help you out.........ask him to go to the DMV and apply for the lost title. They will only issue him one if he is the last owner on file, if he's not then he can't get one...but in this case it sounds like he would be.

Thats the guy he was talking about....the one will help me.:redface: There was apparently another mysterious person after him.

NE 1 know where the car was LAST registered? Doesn't make a difference, who's name is on the last title issued. If the state of last registration is known, that state's DMV can track it by the VIN #. They'll likely not tell you who is on that registration, but would possibly forward that info to your DMV. How about you requesting such a search from the KY DMV??
What does Carfax, or the other history co, show for a registration trail???

As Larry the cable guy says: "Git'r done!