how to change to a digital dash??

drhodes123

i have the regular analog dash but have a digital dashout of a turbo t what parts do i need?? or is it a simple plug and go??

I think the only differance is map sensor. I think they call the dig dash one a hobbs switch

so all i need is a different map? if so who sells them im confused i like the digital dash alot!!

Digital dash pros and cons...

Even though the optional digital dashes look great, most of GN owners rather have a GNX-style dash because they give the driver far more info about what's going on under the hood...If you want something that only "looks good", well then yes, a digital dash might be good for you, but for any performance-oriented engine monitoring, nothing beats a good set of analog gauges.

As far as installing a digital dash in a car that did not originally have one, I'd give a call to John Spina at Casper's Electronics, as he surely knows and probably sells what's needed to do the conversion...

Claude :wink:

To change to a digital dash you need to change out the main dash harness to a digital harness :eek: or cut off the big instrument cluster plug and relocate the pin locations for all of the wires on the plug. :eek:

I have 2 cars with digital dashes. I wish they were analog!! The digitals don't tell you anything but speed and the wrong fuel level.

To change to a digital dash you need to change out the main dash harness to a digital harness :eek: or cut off the big instrument cluster plug and relocate the pin locations for all of the wires on the plug. :eek:

+2!

I've owned at least 10 turbo cars over the last 20 years and only a couple have been analogs. I love the digital dash. It's a toss up as to which one is better. They both get pretty useless with age. For every digital with a crappy fuel gauge there is an analog out there with the same crappy fuel gauge and an even more crappier boost-a-tach that doesn't work right too. It aint the dash unit that is at fault. It's the sending unit in the tank.

I have 2 cars with digital dashes. I wish they were analog!! The digitals don't tell you anything but speed and the wrong fuel level.

i have a analog dash from a 83 the stainless steel look's awesome lets trade

I'd give Casper's a call b4 doing anything. Find out what's involved and make an INFORMED decision. If there's a plug in mod for the harness available- they'll have it. The wiring diagrams are different between the two in the factory manual, and the harnesses/plugs different on the cars(I've had both).

I like my digital dash. Gas guage is right on the money. I have the high/low boost lights set up so that the red light comes on at 21lbs. Most of the analogs I've seen have the tach and boost lights maxed at idle.

I have the harness and digi dash that i was planning on installing in a buick regal that i am going to put turbo motor in, and yes the harness is different. As i recall the digi has a long plug with wires that plugs in the back. As for it not reading correct I have power logger installed with all info i need. And yes digi's look awesome!!!

Digital dash cars have a different dash harness. If you really want to do the swap, be sure you have the complete dash assembly to swap it. This will include the fusebox and front radio speakers as well.

The digital dashes are very precise in terms of MPH and fuel level, but the senders used on the digital cars seem to be a problem as they wear out. I've never seen a digital cluster go out of calibration on the fuel end, and have repaired hundreds of them. The most common failures of the clusters are 1) burned dimmer resistors, and 2) defective power supplies. And of course, the rediculuous blinking 85. The only thing they really need IMO is a digital boost gauge in place of the two idiot boost lights. I once built a dash with a two digit boost display where the idiot lights were, and it looked like it belonged there. GM should have offered that.

My digi dash is whacked. To get close to proper MPH, I have to put it on KM....It looks "Knight Rider", but works fisher price.

i am considering going from a factory digital on my 85 to a Dakota Digital system. i know that it's not a direct plug-n-play system, but do you think it's going to be much more work/complicated since i don't have an analog system?