How Much Should I Pay For This 85 GN???

Mapears

Need advice on price please.

I found a completely rust-free 85 GN with 100K miles. Motor is completely stock. Runs good. Trans shifts good. New flomaster exhaust. GNX style wheels plus original T-Type wheels for the 85.

Exterior is straight and clean no dings or dents. Original paint. Needs rear bumper fillers and new door handles. Front bumper strip is also coming loose.

Interior needs new carpet and drivers seat needs to be recovered. Headliner is good. The dash has that crack they all do. Original steering wheel was replaced with a tan wheel from a T-Type. (???? why)

Window motors are slow. Windows kinda wiggle and are loose in the doors. Driver door sags a little. T-Tops do NOT rattle or leak

A/C works, blows cold. Aftermarket radio. Clean title. Clean Carfax. I'd like to buy the car but am worried that I'm overpaying. Please let me know what you guys think this is reasonable.

Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• 85 GN Pass Side.jpg
    85 GN Pass Side.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 85 GN DRiver.jpg
    85 GN DRiver.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 267
  • 85 GN Rear.jpg
    85 GN Rear.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 85 GN DR Front.jpg
    85 GN DR Front.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 244
IMO- $4000. I paid $7500 fo mine and it had a perfect body and interior. What are your goals for the car? You are looking at buying a GN with a 15 sec quarter motor. Looks sharp but no power. The cost to get the car faster will run easily $5000. Been there done it. Good luck Brad

Thanks. I'm not looking for a 1/4 mile car just a clean GN. So the go faster part is not an issue, but the looks better part is!

Did you buy your car recently? It seems like prices for any kind of 'muscle car' are just thru the roof in the last couple of years!

I bought mine three years ago with 79000 miles. IMO get one with a no rust body and frame and a very good interior. Since speed is not an issue it doesn't matter between 84/85 vs 86/87. I made the mistake of buying an 85 with a perfect body and interior only to want speed later. I added speed to my Hot Air but it was expensive. The value of these cars is going up. My car for insurance purposes covers all my cost. Brad

4-5k seems about the ball park you need to be in. The hotair cars are fun to drive as I have had both and now again own an 84. You can get them itno the 13's without too much fuss(my first 84 ran 13.6/100 with tuning and bolt ons) it is after that where it can get expensive.

Thanks guys.

The current owner is firm at $5K... which seems a little on the high side given the car has some flaws... but it IS rust free, with a clean title, clean carfax etc. and has what i'm lookin for (No Mods, T-Tops)... and these cars are goin up so I think even if I had to pay $5K I'm in the ballpark, right???

Did you offer him anything. Go there with 5k but have 4k in one pocket and slap it on the hood. Alot of times when they see that hunk of cash they bite. If not then negotiate from there. Might be able to meet in the middle.

Yeah -- He started at $5800. I got him down to $5000 and that was as far as he would go. Told him I'd think about it. As I said, I dont know a ton about these cars so I didnt want to do the deal on the spot.

Im in So. Cal. and, surprisingly, I have had a hard time finding a GN of any year that is not a salvage title, reVIN, no RPO sticker, too many mods to pass smog, etc. etc.

Ive seen what look like good cars here (and even on eBay) that arent local but then theres shipping cost or travel to see the car and by the time I'm done even if I save a few buck$ i'm still in the same place

You get what I'm saying!!

Anybody else who can give me some advice on the price on this car please feel free to add your two cents (I can use it:biggrin: )

Thanks again

I would pay the $5K and take the car home. Rust free body is worth the price. If you buy the car keep a close eye on it because these cars are stolen alot and parted out. Mine is locked in the garage or never leaves my sight. Good luck and hope you join the Regal TTYPE world. Brad

Yeah -- He started at $5800. I got him down to $5000 and that was as far as he would go. Told him I'd think about it. As I said, I dont know a ton about these cars so I didnt want to do the deal on the spot.

Im in So. Cal. and, surprisingly, I have had a hard time finding a GN of any year that is not a salvage title, reVIN, no RPO sticker, too many mods to pass smog, etc. etc.

Ive seen what look like good cars here (and even on eBay) that arent local but then theres shipping cost or travel to see the car and by the time I'm done even if I save a few buck$ i'm still in the same place

You get what I'm saying!!

Anybody else who can give me some advice on the price on this car please feel free to add your two cents (I can use it:biggrin: )

Thanks again

Wait until you sell one, it's quite the experience, and bidding wars are common, I was in 2 myself in a guys driveway. I had calls from Canada to Texas, I'm in WV. I even had one guy call me back after deciding not to buy my car to pick my brain on Supercoupes and turbo/super charging in general, porbably chatted with the guy for 45 minutes. :tongue:

Sidenote: I can't believ GNX's have gone up $20,000 in the last 5 years, crazy.

85 gn????

not to step on your toe's,but if you don't want it let me buy it?what year is the other grand national we could probaly buy both and get a better deal?

5K isn't too bad.Offer $4,000,go up to $4500 but if you have to pay the 5K you didn't do too bad.Pick up some grey vinyl dye for that steering wheel too :)
good luck,please keep us posted

5K isn't too bad.Offer $4,000,go up to $4500 but if you have to pay the 5K you didn't do too bad.Pick up some grey vinyl dye for that steering wheel too :)
good luck,please keep us posted

Well, the one that got away. I got him to agree to $4500 and then he sold it to someone else :(

WTF? The search continues...

I have my 84 for sale for 6k and i have had alot of people asking about it. And of course cash talks.

Good luck with your search

This car is a nice driver and just needs some cosmetic tlc. The engine has been rebuilt about 17K miles ago and was upgraded with some things. It has 36lb injectors, forged aluminum pistons, a high volume oil pump, a new water pump, starter and a new radiator. The transmission was also rebuilt about 20K miles ago with an hd eaton posi unit and 3.73 richmond gears. It also has a transmission cooler. The car drives and shifts great, it runs very smooth. The exhuast is a mandrel bent 2.5" with ceramic coated headers and euro chamber mufflers. It also has a special switch that affects the waste gate that will allow up to 19lbs boost, but I have never used it as I don't take it to the track or use race gas. The car also has a heated 02 sensor. The car has good tires, fat ones in the rear. Dash and headliner are all good. The rear windows are tinted and it has aftermarket guages for boost, temperature, fuel metering and oil pressure. The speedo was upgraded to the 145 mph one. The car also has stereo concert sound. It has new front fiberglass bumper fillers. The trunk and undercarriage are very clean with no rusting. The cruise control works and the car has an aftermarket cold air K&N cold air intake. The car does not have a radio, the interior is in good condition except for the driver side seat has a tear in the upholstery in the top, and there is a small rust spot in the passenger side rear quarter. There is no rust in the doors. The car has all the components for A/C but there is no belt on the compressor so I don't know if it works. The car could also use a paint job and the rear bumper filler needs replaced. Attached are pics and you can email me for more at davidtrom@hotmail.com. There was roughly $6,000 of work done in this car to rebuild the engine. Recently a new high flow catalytic converter was installed on it and it is inspected, tagged and ready to go. I have all documentation for the work done. Asking $5,995.

This is just my opinion...so take it lightly. The resale value (i dont know why) is horrible, plus, just the seat recovering, headliner, sagging door, and loose windows (theyre all loose) would be enough for me to walk. I can do the big mechanical things no problem. I dont care if the fuel pump is shot, or the brakes or stuff like this, but that tedious interior stuff sucks. (imo) Fixing a sagging door sucks too. (had to do it on my other regal). If he didnt take 4, I'd walk to be honest. If you had to turn around and part it, because something came up, and you had to make some money back, hot airs make no money at all. I personally love em, and would kill 3 people in a row for a mint, bone stock burgundy hot air as a daily driver, but thats just my personal obsession with buick. Only about 2.5 other people on here share my obsession. You cant give the hot airs away nowadays. I see really nice examples go for 3500 quite a few times. I think you'd take a hit on your car man. Just one mans worthless opionion... :)

thanks. i appreciate your opinion. and it makes me feel better about the car getting sold out from under me. it really did need a bunch of work. but its been VERY difficult to find a reasonably priced, clean, rust-free, stock, t-top car here on the west coast... so i was ready to pull the trigger.

so if you know of one let me know ; )