How much shaft play is OK?

UL LUZE

I did a search on shaft play, but didn't come up with much.

I do know that any in or out movement is too much, but what about up & down?? I've read that a "little play is ok.", but what is a little? As long as the fins don't hit the housing?

I'm going to put a dial indicator on it to check the actual amount of play, but if anyone can tell me what too much play is, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks!!

shaft play

As a former PTE employee, I can tell you there will always be up/down shaft play on a journal bearing turbo. No in/out play unless the thrust bearing is worn. Once the turbo is running oil through it in your car the shaft floats somewhat while spinning with the oil in the journal. Now, a ball bearing unit is different. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply's guys!!

Everyone seems to agree that some play is ok, which is what I was concerned about. The turbo has no in/out play, and doesn't blow any smoke, so I guess it is ok.

Thanks again!!

As a former PTE employee, I can tell you there will always be up/down shaft play on a journal bearing turbo. No in/out play unless the thrust bearing is worn. Once the turbo is running oil through it in your car the shaft floats somewhat while spinning with the oil in the journal. Now, a ball bearing unit is different. Hope this helps.

If I may hijack, what is the difference with the BB turbo?

I ask because I just got a fresh rebuilt stock turbo.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/229119-john-craig-stock-rebuilt-turbo.html
It has no play whatsoever that I can feel and the turbine/compressor spin freely.
Is this good, bad or normal for a fresh rebuild?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I'm diggin that license plate of yours. :D

To answer the question though... I've never handled a used turbo that didn't have at least "some" play.