How much HP for $2000.00

1dollardog

Are we there yet?
What could be done to a 2001 Regal GS in parts and labor to gain the most hp if the budget is set at 2000.00? How much hp can be gained?:)

What kind of HP and torque improvements should I see with the stage 5 set up?

I dynoed around 255 HP and 270Tq to the wheels. Similare set-up except I had a cam instead of rocker arms and my heads where port/polished with bigger valves. You should see around 220-230hp and 240-250 tq to the wheels. I would do cam instead of rockers since a cam would increase duration and lift. Also need to upgrade springs if your going to run it to 6K rpms. Stock srings tend to break pretty easy at higher rpm's. With nos and un-tuned I dynoed 338 and 339 hp/tq. Trust me, if you want to run fast and not spend waayyyyyy too much money, do simple mods and run nitrous. If I had to do it all over again here is my mods for a mid 12 sec car.

Engine:
Cam, CAI, headers, heads (p&p with bigger valves), test pipe, free flowing exhuast, 3.25" pulley, 160 drilled t-stat, DHP pcm, Hoosier QTP's (drag slicks) and ZEX nitrous kit with a 90 shot. With a good tune you should be at 12.6-12.8 easly.

I was running faster than other who had water-to-air intercoolers, bigger cams, lighter cars and more mods. Keep it simple.

save your money and switch the L67 to turbo that is what i am planning on doing i figure around 8,000 should do it nice!! dont forget suspension tranny,bigger brakes so 8-10 car will be flying!!

save your money and switch the L67 to turbo that is what i am planning on doing i figure around 8,000 should do it nice!! dont forget suspension tranny,bigger brakes so 8-10 car will be flying!!

Not looking for anything too wild. Daily grocery getter with a kick. Occasional redlight romp or weekend dragstrip fun is all I'm looking for. These cars come from the factory with 240 rated hp so how much of that stock hp gets to the wheels?

stock should be 204 whp...but it seems to be closer to 194 whp.

best bang for the buck is 3.5" pulley ~ $75. slp claims 25 hp.
a pcm...$100 and 10+ hp (?).
downpipe and u bend delete are worth it ~ 15 hp for $200.
50 hp for <$400 daily driven.
and of course a nos kit. ~75 hp for $500 for when you really want to get moving. under 13.5s 1/4.

if you don't install this yourself, labour will double that amount! and don't count on just any mechanic to know how to install it...they charge you for fumbling around!

exhaust and cai are only good for 10-15 hp for all their cost - forget them.

if you can have headers/dp fabbed up cheap, i'd say go for a precision turbo gt3255e - $830 from fullthrottlespeed.com. ebay bov and fmu and you're good. you may slip in under $2000 for everything. 350-450 hp without cracking the motor open.

Why not get an intercooler, 3.0ish pulley. If interested Delta cams will do a cam regrind for ALMOST ANY GM for $85 to pretty much what specs you want.

I own a fiero soon to be L67 powered so most of the problems you guys have are obsolete in a fiero...like the u bend and other exhaust problems sorry if I seem to forget the fact that we share the same engine but on a different platform.

I dynoed around 255 HP and 270Tq to the wheels. Similare set-up except I had a cam instead of rocker arms and my heads where port/polished with bigger valves. You should see around 220-230hp and 240-250 tq to the wheels. I would do cam instead of rockers since a cam would increase duration and lift. Also need to upgrade springs if your going to run it to 6K rpms. Stock srings tend to break pretty easy at higher rpm's. With nos and un-tuned I dynoed 338 and 339 hp/tq. Trust me, if you want to run fast and not spend waayyyyyy too much money, do simple mods and run nitrous. If I had to do it all over again here is my mods for a mid 12 sec car.

Engine:
Cam, CAI, headers, heads (p&p with bigger valves), test pipe, free flowing exhuast, 3.25" pulley, 160 drilled t-stat, DHP pcm, Hoosier QTP's (drag slicks) and ZEX nitrous kit with a 90 shot. With a good tune you should be at 12.6-12.8 easly.

I was running faster than other who had water-to-air intercoolers, bigger cams, lighter cars and more mods. Keep it simple.

to satisfy my own curiosity, i found these prices.
zex nitrous $680
slicks $310
rims $200?
3.4" pulley $50
pulley installation tool rental $30
belt $24
dhp pcm $100.
180° thermostat $9
plugs 1 or 2 steps colder $30
downpipe with u-bend delete for $90.
that should put you near 300 whp - low 13, maybe high 12 for ~ $1500 before s&h and taxes. figure 6-8 hrs labour for everything.

cam is $300 ~20-30 hp (plus roller lifters ~$160), and tog headers are $350, and are worth around 20-30 hp.

ported heads can run $1200 for 'stage 1' setups... up to $2000 for full ported jobs. cai is worth ~4 hp. cat back ~7 hp. don't need 'em!

a cartuning kit starts at $3099, and is good for 296 whp, 438 wtq with just bolt ons. Cartuning Performance. this can easily be upgraded to 500+ whp for not much more.

to satisfy my own curiosity, i found these prices.
zex nitrous $680
slicks $310
rims $200?
3.4" pulley $50
pulley installation tool rental $30
belt $24
dhp pcm $100.
180° thermostat $9
plugs 1 or 2 steps colder $30
downpipe with u-bend delete for $90.
that should put you near 300 whp - low 13, maybe high 12 for ~ $1500 before s&h and taxes. figure 6-8 hrs labour for everything.

cam is $300 ~20-30 hp (plus roller lifters ~$160), and tog headers are $350, and are worth around 20-30 hp.

ported heads can run $1200 for 'stage 1' setups... up to $2000 for full ported jobs. cai is worth ~4 hp. cat back ~7 hp. don't need 'em!

a cartuning kit starts at $3099, and is good for 296 whp, 438 wtq with just bolt ons. Cartuning Performance. this can easily be upgraded to 500+ whp for not much more.

Thats awesome. Thanks

fwiw, zzp has the zex nitrous kit for $450...$230 less than i quoted above. so the total comes to $1270 before tax, s&h, labour.

yea check out zzperformance.com

i would suggest if you have some decent milage on your car get a tranny from them. then get upgrades after. i got my gtp down to the 12 mark with a cai, home made pems. 3.0 pulley ss intercooler, stage 1 cam, 1.6 rollers on the exhaust, 3" custom exhaust ported heads and intake, and some other stuff. no laughing gas. was great with 65k on motor and tranny. did a few pulls but mostly cruised. all that power ate that tranny up fast.

if your just looking to upgrade your stock ride id say a cai, if you have a welder or know someone makeing ported exhaust manifolds is so easy to do yourself. get some gaskets and port your intake a bit (if your sure you can do it) get a dhp computer, lower t-stat, colder heat range plugs like ngk or autolites. if you havent ditched the ubend in the exhaust now is the time. and upgrade the pipe to 2.5" you can keep the stock mufflers just upgrade the pipe size. a lot of work can be done very cheap. thinks like the big 3 wires (search it at Club Grand Prix! Your online Grand Prix & G8 resource) getting a bigger wire like a 12 or 10 gauge from the connector by the in car connection to the fuel pump will also help.

Seems like I remember these cars having weak transmissions when you up the power. Is this correct?

the trannys are weak peroid...if your gonna get hardcore i would recommend a built tranny by either zzp, intense, or someone oyu know that works with them.