How much gravel will it take?

georgewe4

Hello all. I am thinking about having some gravel delivered for the driveway that goes back to my other building/garage. The driveway is 158 feet long. From the stree it is 10 feet wide back to 110 feet. From the 110 feet mark to the total 158 (or additional 38 feet) it expands out to 18 feet wide. I would like to get the nice 1 inch gravel. Not the messy stuff that breaks up easily. How much gravel or truck loads should I ask for...Any guess to how much money???????
Thanks

Alot of the price will depend how far they have to travel from the quarry to where it is dumped. From the quarry to where we built a house (20 miles) it cost $375 for a triaxle truck. FYI, every quarry has their own determination on rock numbers. The rock we used, #7's it was only $100 per load. Your measurements are close to the dimensions of my driveway. About 140 feet took 12 truckloads.

You can get an idea on the width from looking at the ad. Wide enough for two cars the entire length.

Nolin Lake real estate Homes for sale in Clarkson KY 4 BR/3BA Custom Home on Nolin Lake property properties, lakefront, waterfront

gravel

One inch of stone is 5.5 yrds Get 6 yrds or about 8.5 ton my guess is you will spend about 125.00 bucks

If my memory serves me correctly a triaxle truck was 25 tons. I think it will be more than 8.5 tons. I am not a dump truck driver or gravel expert but he needs 158 feet covered. Doesn't cost anything to call a local quarry, might be best to call them as well.

Been in the trucking and excavating bussiness for a long time and here is what I came up with based on your measurements.This is also assuming an average depth of 2 inches.

19.25 tons of material, this is what it would take if everything was perfect. If you don't have any pot holes in your driveway I would suggest material called #8 limestone. This has no fines( or dust ) and will give you a nice clean look, plus when it gets wet it doesnt get tacky. This matterial is about 1/2 inch in size. BUT if you have pot holes go with 1 inch crusher-run material, this is good for filling in holes and makes a good topping too.
Also when you call to order keep in mind that most trucks that can tailgate stone on small drives such as yours usually haul about 16 tons. This being the case you might consider a load of 1 inch crusher run topped with a load of #8 stone especially if its been awhile since the drive has had gravel placed on it.

Time to get back to work on my TSO car

Dave Fiscus

Been in the trucking and excavating bussiness for a long time and here is what I came up with based on your measurements.This is also assuming an average depth of 2 inches.

19.25 tons of material, this is what it would take if everything was perfect. If you don't have any pot holes in your driveway I would suggest material called #8 limestone. This has no fines( or dust ) and will give you a nice clean look, plus when it gets wet it doesnt get tacky. This matterial is about 1/2 inch in size. BUT if you have pot holes go with 1 inch crusher-run material, this is good for filling in holes and makes a good topping too.
Also when you call to order keep in mind that most trucks that can tailgate stone on small drives such as yours usually haul about 16 tons. This being the case you might consider a load of 1 inch crusher run topped with a load of #8 stone especially if its been awhile since the drive has had gravel placed on it.

Time to get back to work on my TSO car

Dave Fiscus

I would take this advice right here and rock n' roll.

Thanks for some great advice. I now know what to ask for and about how much it should cost. Thanks all.