AC refrigerant oil - how much to add?

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Lost all my R12 last year. System was completely redone a few years ago with new compressor, condenser, acummulator. Flushed lines and evaporator out of the car. And yes, have a bunch of R12 so stayed with it. Tried some reproduction lines but found a crack in the line near the compressor so stayed with my stock lines. Well, overtightened the three terminal switch at the compressor and it held until late 2017. Eventually noticed the short cycling of the compressor but with an impending divorce I really didn't care about fixing it at the time.

Well now is the time, kept the house, GN, truck and back on track with my life. Want to get this AC up and running and was going to repair the schrader valve fitting with one from a junk set that was graciously dropped off at my place by someone I never met. My welder has been dragging his feet getting it repaired for me so got a set of the lines from The Parts Place and will be installing them along with a new accumulator.

So after this long winded post my question is how much if any oil should I be adding with the replacement of the accumulator and line set? Nothing else has been touched on the system. Having fun with getting the lines to fit but would like to get the GN up and running soon. Have only been to one show all year so far. I do realize that I need to use mineral oil with R12 and have the gauge set and scale to add the proper amount of R12 but the oil I am not sure about.

1/2 of initial charge If the compressor was in the car and not flushed in any way.

Just my .02, not an expert, but when you charge it completely empty, 1/2 goes in the accumulator and 1/2 in the compressor.

If you have the old accumulator you could drain it and see how much was in it...

Smart man you are Salvage! Doing exactly that. Can't be much in the old hose setup. Was going to get it all buttoned up and opened the AC DELCO box and the new accumulator must be for a regular Regal
IMG_8841.JPG

Why is the dryer different? The fitting going to the line should be male threads like the one on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jumping on the band wagon with a question...
how do you add oil to the compressor? is there a plug or do you just pour it into the pump inlet?

jumping on the band wagon with a question...
how do you add oil to the compressor? is there a plug or do you just pour it into the pump inlet?
I pour it in the inlet and let it sit overnight.

Rock Auto has the dryer listed under the Turbo V6 but obviously has it wrong! Assuming it is for a regular Regal.

I ordered a dryer from Rock auto and got the right one. I usually buy the Four Seasons brand. Acdelco is just reboxed crap anyway. FYI most new compressors already come filled with oil. The dryer and the accumulator you can put the rest of the oil in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk