how much boost?

turbobuick87gn

still learning
how much boost can i run with a stock setup with a 110 chip..right now is set at 14# can i go any higher safely. and what do you think it will run. :smile:

Do you have something to monitor knock? I wouldn't play with boost if you don't.
If you do have something to monitor knock then turn the boost up very slowly. As long as your O2's look good and you don't see knock your alright.

with a 110 chip its a good bet you will get knock on the 2-3 shift, even at only 14 psi.

It will run mid 13s with a K&N and good exhaust and low 13 with traction... but your headgaskets are at serious risk, especially if you turn up the boost in search of 12's.

At 18 psi and traction, with octane it should run mid to high 12's.

I ran 12.31 with a 108 chip and some sticky D.O.T. tires. Bone stock otherwise:cool: Of course I had some 116 mixed in with the gas.

no i don't have anything yet. thats the next thing on my list of to buy !!

Like Phil said, if you are running 93 octane pump gas with a 110 chip, the next thing on your list to buy will be head gaskets and supporting replacement parts.... :eek:

Purchase a modern chip for pump gas (TurboTweak Home) and you can probably run 17-18-ish psi if your tune is good and you are monitoring for knock...

Give us some more info. Did you just get the car??? Have you done any maintenance such as a tune up etc.... Still haven't said weather or not you are using the proper octane to match the chip... Start from the beginning and get a solid foundation which would be a good sound runnning stock car.. Boost gauge and a scan tool will be a must before turning up boost. As it stands right now if you try to turn it up you won't know where it is at no gauge.... I agree with bmackinnon get a turbo tweak chip also.... Many knowlegable people here to help. Be patient and do it right or you could cause yourself some serious pain and suffering finanically!!!!

the chip is a red anderson 108. i will be using 110 gas. it has a boost gauge. i still have no scan master yet.. the car is stock other than cold air, 160 thermostat. stock turbo right now, have a 63mm and with 3 inch down pipe, 70mm tb and a plenum to match. haven't done anything to the fuel system.. car is getting new plugs fuel filter, has a fresh trans with shift kit, and a fresh oil change.. the boost is set at 14 # right now.. i'm new to buicks, i've always messed with sbc..so any help will be helpful..:)

Order a Scanmaster...and that chip you have is past its due date. Order a new chip from Eric at Turbotweak. While you're waiting for your new stuff to arrive, I suggest you read up on these cars in regards to tuning as much as possible.

with a 63mm should do a FMIC or a decent stretch IC too (stock IC will be a restiction)
110 and proper chip fuel supply good --boost till it shows KR then back off a little
scantool and gauges
make sure fuel system and injectors can handle the hp
make sure the rest of the car is up par (hoses , zipties, brakes, ignition cooling, axles driveshaft ujoints )
plugs correct range and gapped properly
no exhaust restrictions like rusted out mufflers or stock setup
a matched torque converter (3200+)
a trans that is built to take the hp you are about to unleash
some sticky tires
and
if the motor isnt worn out and can complete a pass ...
youll need a roll bar to run it at a track
with stock unported heads figure 11.0s might dip 10s
and if you have ported heads no reason it shouldnt dip mid-high 10s

stock turbo basic stock the rest and 110 with good chip (btw its red armstrong) i would guess mid 12s if you can launch it ,

so what do you think i will look at running right now with the 110 octane gas and 14# just wondering to look for

110 and 14psi is a frickin waste of gas and will be slower than a 93 chip with 93 in the tank and the boost turned up a little more

if it can get out of the whole half way decent without tire spin id guess maybe a 14 to mid 14 at 98-100

i wouldn't run any car down the track without a scantool and an updated and hotwired fuel pump,, bad things happen to those that go lean or those that knock

and FYI 110 octane (if the fuel system can supply enough fuel) can support more boost than your turbo can run at

typical stock from what ive seen can handle 22 psi at 23* for 100 octane and would be enough for mid 12s
little turbos like the timing and 110 lets you run a little more timing and boost but you still need to be sure the fuel is getting there which is why you need a scantool

if your not going to turn the timing up to match the octane it is a waste and will probably run worse than if you ran with less octane

but if your chip has the timing in it you need atleast the octane the timing dictates

as for boost thats going to be determined by the chips fueling (duty cycle and your injectors size) and your ability to cool the carge air since boosting builds heat its important to reduce the charge air heat as much as possible with either a larger intercooler or alky injection . the more heat in the charge air the less you can run boost and timing wise before it detonates even if there's enough fuel present and your knock sensor is the only tool you have to determine where your max level is , and the scanmaster shows knock and o2s ...so if o2s are good and you added boost and theres knock either theres too much timing or not enough octane , so you either drop the boost till its happy , pull timing , or add more octane

heres a rundown with some #s from fullthrottlespeed.com for their chips with octanes and the timing the put in the chip to run with it

octane (timing degrees 1-2nd gear /3-4th gear )
91 (17/15)
92 (18/16)
93 (19/17)
96 (21/19)
98 (23/21) also similar for Alcohol Injection
104 (25/23)
108 (27/25)
108+ (29/27)