how much boost?

sprayed65

my TTA has a pte44 turbo and terry houston downpipe, how much boost can I expect to run on 93 or 100 (unleaded) octane? Reason I ask is I get random knock readings when getting on it, one time it's 2 on the scanmaster and the next 18.8...I think I am getting a false reading from vibration off the downpipe where it sometimes will rattle on the floorboard? It is currently set up at ~16-17 psi...It seems that neither of the above mentioned octanes make a difference. I have a set of 50 pound MSD injectors coming next week for it too. This is driving me crazy, I am going to go through and make sure every nut and bolt on the car is tight this weekend and take my trusty hammer to something...

The 18 is false. If it was real your post would be "How to change headgaskets". However the 2 degrees sounds very real to me. What chip are you using? What fuel pump? When are you getting the knock? It's all relative.

Jason

I get the knock in the first second of hitting full boost, sometimes instantly and sometimes it will take the first second. Even when I had straight 110 octane leaded in it I was still seeing quite a bit of knock on 17 psi which leads me to believe it's false. It's running fine on the air fuel, between 750-850 depending where I put the pressure because I've played with that too.

sprayed65 said:
I get the knock in the first second of hitting full boost, sometimes instantly and sometimes it will take the first second. Even when I had straight 110 octane leaded in it I was still seeing quite a bit of knock on 17 psi which leads me to believe it's false. It's running fine on the air fuel, between 750-850 depending where I put the pressure because I've played with that too.

with 110 and O2 readings like that you shouldn't be seeing any real knock. So I'm gunna say the 18 knock counts are false in this case. You should be able to run like 16-17psi with 110 without a problem with the stock injectors. Better start beating on that DP.

Quiky One said:
What fuel pump? What chip? :confused:

Jason

the chip is a mystery chip...I'm ordering a turbo tweak as soon as I get my injectors, fuel pump is a walbro 340 hot wired...

I also found today that the bracket for the turbo heat shield is loose, another possible culprit...I changed my plugs yesterday and they looked ok, a tad lean on #6 but I turned up the fuel 2 pounds. Everything on the scanmaster looks good otherwise...I'm just going to have to go through it with a vengence and make sure everything is tight I guess.

I figured at 16 pounds on pump gas it should be ok...am I off by a few pounds?

All cars are different. Some cars can run 20 some can run 12. Never assume anything with the tune. I wish it were that easy.

Jason

Quiky One said:
All cars are different. Some cars can run 20 some can run 12. Never assume anything with the tune. I wish it were that easy.

Jason

it still shoudln't have any problems with knock running like 15 psi with 110 leaded. If you're having problems with that scenario either your chip is majorly messed up or something else is.

I know something like the downpipe rattling on the floor could cause false knock but what about a driveline vibration? I think it's time for a new torque arm bushing and possibly transmission mount too. Trying to cover all bases here for the false end of it...

I too am bamboozled by the idea of running 110 in it at 16-17 psi and getting that kind of reading on the scanmaster...what the heck could it be tuned for? Top fuel?

Funny how someone will continously beat on a car trying to get it figured out when they have a "Mystery" chip.. next thing that happens is they hurt the engine.. happens all the time.

Trying to tune a car is one issue if its stock.. all the assumptions is its stock. The Mystery chip.. that one can/will blow a hole through your motor. Keep screwing with higher cylinder pressure with the Mystery chip.. you'll get real good with a TQ wrench.

These are incredibly strong motors.. but turn extremely fragile with a bad tuneup..

Get a matching chip for your injectors, drop boost to 12 PSI, have the motor running with ZERO KR.. then work on increasing the boost.

Razor said:
Funny how someone will continously beat on a car trying to get it figured out when they have a "Mystery" chip.. next thing that happens is they hurt the engine.. happens all the time.

Trying to tune a car is one issue if its stock.. all the assumptions is its stock. The Mystery chip.. that one can/will blow a hole through your motor. Keep screwing with higher cylinder pressure with the Mystery chip.. you'll get real good with a TQ wrench.

These are incredibly strong motors.. but turn extremely fragile with a bad tuneup..

Get a matching chip for your injectors, drop boost to 12 PSI, have the motor running with ZERO KR.. then work on increasing the boost.

I turned the boost down as low as it would go...roughly 13 psi and had the exact same knock numbers come up on 100 octane...needless to say I have two new chips on the way along with the 50 pound injectors, one for 93 octane and another for 100 octane, both turbotweak chips

I am also going to put a new knock sensor on but had to order it as well, there is nothing loose or rattling now so it has to be in the chip or the knock sensor or both I would think...

sprayed65 said:
I turned the boost down as low as it would go...roughly 13 psi and had the exact same knock numbers come up on 100 octane...needless to say I have two new chips on the way along with the 50 pound injectors, one for 93 octane and another for 100 octane, both turbotweak chips

Great.. now you will know your chip and injectors are matched. Watch your BL numbers..

Search BL.. you'll need to do some reading.

bL is currently at 123...I'll look for any change

I've done some searching on the MAF translator but haven't found too much useful info for it yet...I was thinking my translator might not be set correctly. It's got an LT1 meter on it...