How much boost is safe with a stock engine and Meth Injection? TTA ---

alwayscode390

I am running a 204/214 cam , 3" magnaflow cat-back, and a maf translator with a KN cone filter.

Everything else is stock on the engine, and turbo.

I think I finally decided to go Meth Injection.

What is a good boost number to shoot for on a tune ... 18lbs?

I will be using a Turbo Tweak chip.

THANKS
icon_smile.gif
---

I ran 22-23 on my stocker with my first SMC kit. Went to a Ta49 and jumped to 27-28 and loved it. My engine had 15k miles when I started upgrades.

WOW, thats a lot !!!

The previous owner said he could get a solid tune at 21psi ... but a lot of people are telling me to not go much past 18.

The bottom end has 150k miles , lol ... so I may shoot for 16-18 :) and go from there? ---

All in the tune? Turbo Tweak says 16-18lbs is safe for PUMP gas when you fill out there chip sheet ... but he doesnt mention what he recommends for an ALKY tune :) ---

I am running 23-24 psi but the motor is all stock except for studded heads. I hate to say this but I can run 21 psi with 91 octane gas in the tank. If I run 93 octane I can run 24 without any knock.

I run 30psi with alky and a te44 on my stock engine. I ran 22psi with my stock turbo. It's all in the tune, add mentioned. You'll break stuff at 18psi with a bad tune.

alwayscode390 said:
All in the tune? Turbo Tweak says 16-18lbs is safe for PUMP gas when you fill out there chip sheet ... but he doesnt mention what he recommends for an ALKY tune :) ---

There's a lot more to it than that. Those boost pressures are definitely safe but the car will be a slug at 18psi on an unopened engine on 93 octane. In another thread your considering a new turbo. If you're throwing a turbo on one would think you are planning on doing something else to take advantage of it. Running more boost would be typical. Also that 16-18psi safe thing doesn't necessarily apply to a heavily modified engine either. The mileage on your short block doesn't matter. Down to 10.50 on a clean tune they last a long time.

Nate.... first off, glad you came to your senses and didnt sell the TTA for crackhead prices :D ... secondly like Bison/Grumpy say - "Its all in the tuna"

No two cars are exactly the same, gas formulations are different, weather is different - just start lower [16-18psi] and bump it up [in small increments] - when you see a little knock - bring it back down to safe tune...

i have seen 24-26 personally on 93/Alky - no issues... but also factor in supporting mods [ie FP, Injectors, IC, Compressor Size/Hsg.... etc, etc.]

aaron

If you want it to last I believe 21 is the number. I was told this by a trusted person. I have been very happy. Look at my sig... every motor is different. I run 18 street e85 and 21 track with good fuel. If you want to run more I think this way. Got to pay to play. If you don't have the money enjoy 18 till you do

The stock turbo won't make steady boost past 23psi. It can spike higher but it won't maintain it with a free flowing system.

My combo was stock long block, stock turbo, etc and I plugged off the wastegate hole so it couldn't bleed ANY boost off and through the exhaust the gauge read 25psi. Julio told me that if I opened the dump the boost would drop.. It did, down to 23 psi. In first gear it would spike to 26-27 psi but would be on a steady downfall to 23 once I hit second gear.

I was running this combo on 91 oct and denatured and then on meth.

Since you have a larger cam with the stock turbo I doubt you'll see 23psi b/c the turbo may not be able to keep up but I don't know for sure.

ks

If you want it to last I believe 21 is the number. I was told this by a trusted person. I have been very happy. Look at my sig... every motor is different. I run 18 street e85 and 21 track with good fuel. If you want to run more I think this way. Got to pay to play. If you don't have the money enjoy 18 till you do

It depends on the turbo. Boost is just a measurement of airflow restriction. MPH in the 1/4 or horsepower to the wheels is a better indicator of how much stress your motor is under. A stock turbo at 25psi isn't hammering a motor like 18psi from a precision 47-88 on a built stage II motor with ported heads. Cylinder pressure is more important.

I'm running 21 psi on the street right now with stock turbo, stock intercooler, 93 octane and Razor's Alky with a TurboTweak chip. Everything works perfectly , but I plan to upgrade soon to a stretched slic and a ta60 turbo. I've asked this question before. It's all in the tune. If the tune is right it will hold together unless you're making more power than the components can handle - into the 10's as Bison said. If the tune is wrong parts will fail at much lower power levels. All in the tune.