How many times has your Buick left you on the side of the road?

Times left stranded

• Never

Votes: 51 47.7%
  • 0-5

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • 5-15

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • 15+

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gn reliable

when left as gm meant it to be they always did a great job. Nice power and reliability but when I got greedy and modified them to run faster they failed often.

Three times total.

First car,
The very first time I went to a Buick event in it (just a small local get together) the starter died.

Cracked a converter hub (must have done it at the track the night before) in a parking lot. Sounded like I threw a rod, I thought for sure I was going to be pulling a motor that weekend. :eek:

Second car,
About 10miles from home coming from the Salem event I had spark issues and the car died.

19 years and my Buicks never really left me stranded.There was a couple times that I had to walk to get a can of gas.But they didn't break down on me or have to be towed.

I can't say how many head gaskets I took out 20+ miles from home and drove it home with no issues. Other than self induced issues, once.

#4 comes for me this morning! :mad: Charging/ electrical problem which I think may be caused by disturbing the flex circuit board behind speedo/ instrument cluster to repair gas gauge. Think I may have disturbed that copper ribbon circuit to alt/ charging system.

3 times

I ran out of gas 3 times since 93. 2x cause my digital dash won't work 'cept when it wants to:biggrin: . Blown head gasket but made it home,had trans act up but made it home. Ign mod/coil pack went out but it was skipping and made it home. Sits for 6 mo,swap trans, and backed out carport and module died. Been pretty reliable in 80k miles.

Lets see, blew the trans up in my WH-1 1.5hrs from home a few years back, right after I bought. Left it at a club members shop and rode home with another club guy. Two weeks later it was fixed. Next time water got in the ECM and messed everything up. Had it towed home. Played around with a few things and it started right up....:confused:

GN hasnt failed me yet. Had the MAF fail on Friday night, but it still ran. Limped to my buddies shop and put in his spare. Runs good again.

Once, when the cam sensor cap broke, i had to wait for my mechanic to come out and get me going again.:)

Twice..

1. 2006 The orange wire on the ECM had a short in it, I screwed with it for a bit and it seemed to work fine, so i took a voyage and then after clearing the first test, i took an even longer voyage....well that ended up on the side of the road. If I knew exsactlly at the time what it was, i would have just put the wire right to the battery, but didnt until later. (it was the in fuse link)

2. 2007-I was coming back from a restaurant and on my way to prom, the car started smoking and thought WTF? i pull over and see trans fluid on the ground leaking out. So just to make sure it was a line, i drove a few more feet and a lot came out more. About 10 mins later a guy drove by and looked under and felt on the lines and said there was a cut in it. So my date went to prom without me, until after the AAA FLAT BED DROPPED ME OFF! So i arrived to prom in a AAA flat bed. :tongue:

Adam

Keep in mind, that I'm covering 14 years here.

3x due to crank sensor/harmonic balancer malfunctions
1x melted orange ECM wire
2x blown up-pipe
4x+ ECM/MAF malfunctions (i.e. water in ECM or whatever)
3x spun bearings or seized engine
1x blown inner tube in slicks (and not hauling spare tire)
1x wiring short in parking lights at night
2x+ ran out of gas (rotten lying digital gauge!)

Hint: If you have State Farm (or similar) pay for the towing option. It costs next to nothing each month, but they 100% re-imburse your towing expenses (once per incident) immeditately.

Once in 15 years.

I had it towed home....only to find that if I'd checked and fixed the battery cable connection I could have DRIVEN it home. :rolleyes:

None yet,but I've only put 8k on it over the 11yrs I've owned it and don't usually travel to far any more.

More times than I like to remember

1. Not long after I bought it and was at Airborne school(1996) The stock turbo started puking oil into the exhaust. No money GI and very few skills at the time = stranded at FT. Benning. My Dad came down to my graduation and helped me out buying and installing the new stock turbo from Lou's Turbo Diesel in Athens. It got me home to Louisiana then that turbo died also. :mad:

2. Stock cam went flat on my way from Ft. Bragg to Louisiana. Stopped at Postons. Their mechanic was puzzled. Limped it all the way home.:redface:

3. Kicked a rod out the side of the block in Shorter, AL. on my way back to Ft. Bragg. Stranded at a truck stop diner until my dad got off of work in Charlotte ,NC and drove down to us. He got there at about 3 am. We then rented a tow dolly and tried to pull the car with a V6 dakota. We made it....slowly. We were a day late getting back from leave.

4. Ignition module was dying when it would get hot. Took it down the street with a spare in the car. It died ...then I found out I didnt have any tools with me!! Caught a ride to WalMart, bought some tools and the changed it out.

5. Went to the track. Was going to trailer the car but my uncle didn't want to loan his trailer until it had some new tires on it. I was set on going to the track. So I am telling the wife all this and she says..." Why can't we just drive the car?" Keep in mind the track is 75 miles from the house. So we take off, get there, I bolt on the slicks and make 3 or 4 passes. running 93 octane and a hombrew alky kit. Make some 11.7 passes and such. On the last pass I boost it up on the line harder than before. 1.51 60ft....7.13 1/8th mile.....here comes the 1000 foot mark.........BOOM!!!!! Head gasket let go. Drive it back to the pits. It starts to rain, Its about 45 degrees and my wife is 6 months pregnant!!! :frown: I try to call several people but no one answers. the track is closing. people are leaving. they tell they are locking the gate!!:mad: I call my sister and she gets there 4 hours later.(its a 1 hour 15 minute drive) i have to leave the car outside the gate and go back the next day with a different borrowed trailer and truck. thank god I still had a car in one piece when I got there. What caused all this?????? I broke a motor mount which then pulled apart the alky power wire and 24psi on pump gas.

I ask myself why I didnt sell this car a long time ago...but dont we all:wink:

Once in my 71 Electra when the points worked loose and closed up as I was screaming up I-95 in North Carolina. No biggy just reset and blast on.

Once in my 72 Stage 1 when I was too lazy to check the oil before a short blast and wiped the motor doing a burnout as the oil went to the rear of the pan. Dumb A**

Three times in the Turbo car:
First time when I blew the front seal out of the tranny and puked oil all over.

Second time when I blew head gasket but only a minor blow behind the headers. R & R driver side head gasket in five hours.

Third time when the trans let loose completely in a full throttle pass a few weeks ago and the engine being basically in neutral at WOT with 25# boost went God knows where RPM and Boost went and blew all three cylinders in both head gaskets. Engine is now at the machine shop being gone through. Trans has been rebuilt too.

P.S. the only car to strand us more than the T is my wife's 95 Caddy LT-1 Fleetwood with only 63K miles.
1st time is the fuel pump at 55K mmiles.
2nd time when one tank of the plastic radiator lets go at 60K miles.
3rd and counting the endless number of times that stupid VAT system that disables the car for 15 minutes for a pass key fault.
I now have the wiring bypass and that is the next project.

Mikey

guess my car hates me....theres more but these are just the ones I can remember just off the top of my head

3x blown head gaskets
2x alternator issues
1x ran outta gas (gauge broken)
1x transmission went out
1x accessory bracket broke
1x MAF sensor

Just twice did I ever get stranded. I had a friend talk me into using E85 once and filled up with about half a tank of it. I then let the car sit for a month or thwo then started driving it again. I was out on the first date with my girfriend and with the gas gauge showing 3 gallons it stalls out on me and stops in the middle of the road. I then had to have my girlfriend help me push the car out of the road, were still together though. My guess is that while the car was parked is that the ehtanol seperated out from hte gas and floated to the top of the tank and the car wouldnt run on straight ethanol. Put a little gas in and she was fine. A week or two later did the same thing to me but never again since I finally got all the E85 out of it.

I forgot I had the crank sensor go out while racing a 69 4 spd vette. I had 4 people in mine and a tank full of gas. Had him about 8 lengths when it hit 3rd and cut off.

Only 1 time. The bolts in the water pump got loose and fell out. I heard a squeal and then a loud clank...LOL.

This was all my fault because I let some other person besides myself or the ones I trust the most work on my car.