How long did your stock timing chain last?

blackstallion

Just wanted to know my car has 137k on it original chain,and has no oil leaks,and i have heard horror stories about it I am on stored time?

One of my cars had about the same miles on it as yours and I went ahead and changed it. I looked great but it had alot of slack in the chain. The nylon gears will usally get brittle and brake off that is what you have to look out for. I belive I would go ahead and change it if I was in your shoes. My 2cents. ;)

Had mine changed at 110,000 miles. Looked decent but was time. Pay alittle now or a lot later. If you decide to farm the job out, please find a knowledgable TR mechanic. Damage can be done by those not knowing these cars! Don't ask me how I know this..... :mad:

230k,mine let loose at stoplite took out a couple valves,bent some pushrods.
I suggest not going over 200k save yourself the grief.

pulled mine at 130K shortly after taking ownership of a totally stock car , it was the original and had a couple teeth missing and a few chipped teeth and a several cracks in the nylon ,there was no wear to the cam button or front cover but my keyway and slinger were beat up and needed replacement .

i feel i got to it just in time , unless you have a receipt for yours being changed i would change it out .

Ive seen them fail at 80k. Not worth it to play around. Its like a grenade with the pin pulled imo.

Black,
I pulled mine at 106K because the knock gauge was going into the red and I had front engine area knocking when reving just driving through the neighborhood giving it part throttle, car had only made maybe 10-20 passes its whole life as I bougth it in a totally stock form, 26 of 40 teeth were missing from the gear. Not to mention all the particulate matter of those teeth and the alum fragments form the chain wearing into the toothless gear areas was sent all thru the engine. If you have time to take the car down I'd suggest doing it whenever you get the chance, much better than risking all that crap going thru the engine on every startup when the oil pressure is high and bypassing the filter because of it. I ended up changing rod and main bearings because I didn't like the way they looked having fragments embedded near the parting lines and such, very messy.
HTH

I am going to go the other way on this one. 11.30s@122 on streets, through the exhaust at 28 psi. Oh yeah with over 150k. Car was bone stock down to the paper filter until 500 miles ago. But yeah it probably needs done and should be, but I just hate to mess with a good thing. Like Evans said if this is not done exactly right the car will not run right and cause serious damage.

Limited87 said:
I am going to go the other way on this one. 11.30s@122 on streets, through the exhaust at 28 psi. Oh yeah with over 150k. Car was bone stock down to the paper filter until 500 miles ago. But yeah it probably needs done and should be, but I just hate to mess with a good thing. Like Evans said if this is not done exactly right the car will not run right and cause serious damage.
You wont believe the damage a jumped chain will do to your engine. Its not that hard to change.