How hot are you guys?

WARBIRD1989

I'm trying to find out what temperature these cars run on average. It has been about 90 to 95° on average were I live, with the air conditioning on, my Scan Master puts me at about 229° and no matter what I seem to do I cannot keep the temperature below this. I installed a $533 BECOOL fans, clean the radiator with the same acid I use on refrigeration coils inside and out. Are these temperatures normal, I also have the fans running continuously, I also installed a 200 amp alternator to make sure everything has plenty of power. The car seems to run perfect zero detonation and good power. If the temperature drops to about 78 the car will run 162° all day long, it's just when the outside temperature gets above 85 the motor temperature will go straight over 200

When I bought TTA #907 from dhauser in KC, I drove it 600 miles home at 98F OAT, A/C on and the speed limit at 179F. #1387 was similar. Both had the 160 degree thermostat. :)

when it is 90 outside my car runs around 180. All stock except 160 thermostat.

temps

I have a new stock radiator, no oil cooler hooked up, 160 stat, water wetter & 50/50 and I run 180 max with stock fan on a 90+ day. Thats odd that your car runs so hot. Got to be somthing wrong. Hook up a seperate guage to double check that temp...

Not absolutely accurate....But

Last year I purchased an infra-red thermometer (the kind you point an LED at the spot you want to measure). Holding that red dot close to the thermostat housing is matching the scan tool temp readings on my Ranger. These things are fabulous when you want to know the temp of something. A measurement with one of those thermometers will be a good comparison with your temp indicator in the dash. :)

How is that new house Warbird?

I have already used an infrared thermometer the reading on my valve cover was 214, everyone says this temperature is hot, but the little red mark on my gauge does not indicate I am getting hot until 260°, so does this mean the motor should be able to run at 260° according to GM?? The Car has been running this hot and for almost 3 years and 30,000 miles, even at 220° I am running low 12et, on a cold day 11et, and this is with zero timing being pulled out. The car runs absolutely beautifully. It just runs hot. Even if I turn the idle down to 500 rpm and let it just sit in the parking lot under a shade tree on a 90° day with the hood up the temperature will go straight up over 200° and just stay there, but if the temperature is 76° out I will run 160° all day long, there is a ton of hot hot air coming off the radiator, so I do not believe that there is a deficiency in moving heat out of the motor, perhaps just with all the modifications and timing and so on this motor just runs hot and needs to dissipate more heat. Perhaps I will try using acid to clean the inside of the block. I managed to lower the temperature almost 20° by cleaning the radiator with acid. Perhaps I will just take the heater core off-line and the radiator, and fill the block with a half gallon of the acid I used to clean refrigeration coils, sometimes even the smallest amount of contamination can make a huge difference in heat transfer, I'd have refrigeration coils that looked perfectly clean and you could shine a flashlight through them with no problem, and as soon as you clean them your pressures will drop 150 pounds. I do not know if it's even possible to fit a bigger radiator in this car, my fans are already about 2 mm away from my air charge cooler.

As far as having a new house, I am never in the thing because, I'm too busy working trying to pay for it...:rolleyes: