How happy R U w/ the area that U live in???

V8KILLR

2speed 1day fast & faster
I'm starting my job hunting for when I am done w/ school in Dec.. I REALLY don't like the Washington D.C. area, sorry for those that live here. So, I've gotta leave!!! There are just too many cars and the house are SOooooo close together, need some land, like 5+ arc or so. Also, I want to live in a place where people don't look at me cross-eyed for saying hello in passing on the street. I'll have my degree in Mec. Engineering. I was thinking most of all about the west / mid-west. I think top on the list is CO, then NM, CA, NV, and AZ. Those that live there, let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jason

Colorado sucks don't do it. The weather here is terrible and the people are even worse. Seriously Colorado is a great place to live and work. I'm from Misery and definitely would never consider going back. The economy is kind of bad here right now especially in the hi tech and telecommunications fields which were booming here in the 90's. If you come here you will probably love it if you can find a job. Your GN on the other hand won't like the altitude but we still have some guys here running pretty quick times. Good Luck

Mike

Arizona!

I've been here 11+years and love it. It did take some time to get used to, but I wouldn't move away, except, maybe, to Colorado!

California is an enormous state, with every kind of town and livestyle you can imagine. Most people would tell you that Cal is too crowded. That's just because people, being people, tend to crowd themselves together into cities. If you want the rural lifestyle, Cal has plenty of rural towns. Even the populous counties of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Orange, San Diego have rural, practically desolate areas.
POSITIVES: Most people really, really love the climate. Semi-arid and coastal cool, with mild winters predominate in the south. Wherever you are in SoCal, wiithin a 2 hour drive you can be at the ocean, the desert, or snow covered mountains.
NEGATIVES: Horrendous cost of living. Median house price in San Diego county just passed $325,000. The jobs are near the cities, so the good, county living is not available unless you want to join the crowded commute. I absolutely hate freeway commuting, and count it a blessing that I am self-employed and most of my clients are within 5 miles of my house. Traffic near any of the cities (SF, LA, SD) is a nightmare. LA is congested nearly 24 hours a day; I hear that SF is even worse.

I live in NM now and find it a bit of a disadvantage. I am so spoiled by the weather and climate that I don't want to move further North than Sante Fe! It does limit my choices for career but I am not willing to leave. If I move from NM it will be further West to Phoenix or Las Vegas. The nicest part is you can drive your car whever you want because the weather is almost always nice.

I've lived in NM for about a year and a half and I gotta say that it takes some getting used to. I am so tired of saying "No,I don't want any green chili on that!" I origainally grew up in the Boulder area of CO and-15 yrs. ago- it was beautiful. Now it's full of Californians (no offense to those still in CA) and it's huge, expensive and probably just as rude as your native D.C. If I could live anywhere it would be the tiny, sporadic towns of NV (like Ely, I lived there for a couple of yrs.) but there is no money there..NONE. So I quess NM is a mix of alot of the good things about the surrounding states, give it a try....just try and avoid living within a city's limits--there seems to be more crime in NM cities than their sizes warrant. And perhaps the best advice that anyone anywhere could give you: Even if Shania Twain is there, lying naked on a pile of money, calling out your name...DO NOT go to Utah.

Your about 15 years too late to consider CA. It's too crowded & expensive plus you better know how to speak spanish. There is an interesting web site called ( findmyspot.com) which you may find helpful. It has a questionnaire of your preferences & gives suggestions of places to live details & statistics of the area. Check it out & if you find paradise let me know. I will be right behind you LOL

Even if Shania Twain is there, lying naked on a pile of money, calling out your name...DO NOT go to Utah. I take it you don't work for the Utah tourism board?:D Maybe you should with a catchphrase like that!

Yeah, I don't want anyone misinformed about what a twisted nightmare the state of Utah is. I would love to get a job with the state just to encourage everyone to stay away, but due to the fact that I have only one wife, I don't think I'd be allowed to hold any position in Utah.:rolleyes:

So cal freeways rule!

gas prices blow
trafic sucks
but when i am on a 8-12 lane freeway and everone is doing 75-80 mph i get a pretty big grin.
i tavel early in the morning or later in the evening so i dont worry to much about traffic.

there really is 2 girls for every guy and they are usually 125lbs or less.

i used to live in orange county NY state so good roads and plenty of hot chicks was hard to find.

andrew

Hey v8:
With a sheepskin in ME, you can rule out living in the sticks. Your jobs are located in big cities--and if you do find one out in the sticks, your pay will match the sticks.

And don't listen to turbolou, he doesn't know or have a clue about giving advise to anyone. I offered him some of the finest advise this side of NY, and he pissed it off. I followed his advise and I end up living close to him--yuk!!

The job in the big city will get you the best bang for your buck--you will be surrounded by a lot of savvy engineers. Later on, then you might want to move to some smaller city, but you will have that new found knowledge under your belt. In other words, don't start out in some small town and then try to make it big in a big city--but they'll love you cause you won't command a large salary.

If the above does not faze you, then go to some small burg that has a renowned university (but a hell of a lot of competition to be had there) and establish yourself--and then move on. Oh, I almost forgot--go west young man.:cool: :D

pasadena!

Pasadena is a great town that knows how to party>
turbo lou is right. property is extreamly expensive right now. i did want to learn how to speak spanish cause there are so many hot latino girls around.
no rain
no snow
no cops
120mph?
no problem!

CHP 95% cruise the freeway. almost never sitting in wait. drive fast and they will wind up in front of ya!

drew

Originally posted by black heat
Hey v8:
With a sheepskin in ME, you can rule out living in the sticks. Your jobs are located in big cities--and if you do find one out in the sticks, your pay will match the sticks.

And don't listen to turbolou, he doesn't know or have a clue about giving advise to anyone. I offered him some of the finest advise this side of NY, and he pissed it off. I followed his advise and I end up living close to him--yuk!!

The job in the big city will get you the best bang for your buck--you will be surrounded by a lot of savvy engineers. Later on, then you might want to move to some smaller city, but you will have that new found knowledge under your belt. In other words, don't start out in some small town and then try to make it big in a big city--but they'll love you cause you won't command a large salary.

If the above does not faze you, then go to some small burg that has a renowned university (but a hell of a lot of competition to be had there) and establish yourself--and then move on. Oh, I almost forgot--go west young man.:cool: :D
Black Heat what the are you talking about! I've lived in this state since 67 & seen its ups & downs. If your not already established here you will play hell trying to do so. I recently toured the country & if I had to choose It would be the Southern states, N. Carolina,Tenn, Georgia,The west is peaked out expensive,over-crowded. Even soon to be running out of water. Gas is 30 to 50 cents more a gal. for 91 octane vs. the availability of 93 almost every where else. Plus all the goofy smog restrictions.The South is the path of progress. Plenty of affordable houseing & very much into cars & racing. But what struck me the most was how friendly everyone was. The women aren't as materialistic & probably as pretty as anywhere you will find. This doesn't mean that what I say is gospel & is for everyone. But I'm quite a bit older & have experienced more of life. So cut me some slack!

Re: pasadena!

Pasadena knows how to party? When did this happen? :D :D I know Pasadena well since I grew up next door in Arcadia. Everyone I know moved the hell out of the San Gabriel Valley as fast as they could run away screaming because it was boring, smog infested, and hotter than the sun. :) Oh well, I'm past my party days anyway.....

I'd advise anyone to stay far away from California period! The housing prices are insane, traffic is awful, too many people, and illegal aliens are bankrupting us. The smog laws suck, and if you like guns/hunting you can forget about it. I'm going to get the hell out of here in the next couple years. I just need to formulate a plan and scout a new location then I'm outta here! The chain has been pulled and the festering turd that California has become is circling the bowl and about to be permanently flushed!

Pasadena and the word party in the same sentence.
Hard to believe.
The closest that Pasadena will ever get to a party is the Republicans and the Democrats at election time.

wow !

amazing! when i lived in arcadia i wanted to move away too! and i did. i moved to old town pasadena. any given friday night, saturday night, new years eve, there are thousands of people that want to have fun and ditto on friendly people.
pasadena used to be a really crappy town but has had a complete turnaround in the last 10 years. i havent lived there in the last few years (now in Simi Valley), but i go to old town pasadena or the ocean whenever i need to get out of the house.

good luck finding a place to live bud!
and to all else, if you are not happy where you live, look around for some good. if ya cant find any, try elsewhere. no one should have to be unhappy. your life is what you make it.

andrew

Turbolou:
I'm just busting your balls. I don't have any bad things to say about you, only good things to say.
Its absolutely the give away state, and everyone is cashing in on it. The expression, "The land of the free and the home of the brave", refers to Cal.
We need someone like you to help keep things in check.
The South? It may well be the last defense against all the greed that seems to be inherent across the social spectrum.

What with all the money we are giving away in Cal and the rest of the world, including the mideast.

But for those that still believe there is a future in Cal, well then I say to them--come on out, maybe they can do something about these last few "**** you generations" parasites that live out here.

Hasta la vista, Califonians!!