How fit fuel pump into tank?

#1HotRod

Got new fuel pump, but how heck fit it into tank? With the float off to one side of pump & that darned plastic filter/sock sticking out at right angle I can get either pump with float into fuel tank, or pump & sock, but not the float AND filter. Try cram or wiggle the sock & it just falls off, & being somewhat firm plastic it won't bend (old pump unit as well as replacement is DW 300). Guess could get it in without sock, but don't really want do that. Or if had right cloth could make own bendable sock. But someone got that damn thing in (of course sock fell off when I removed unit from tank) & I ought to be able. 45 min job now bugging me all night. Help.

you should not have an issue with the correct sock, post a pic of your setup. I replaced mine a few times, even put a larger 450l pump in my tank.

I posted this on the other one as well.
I had to insert the "contraption" (DW300) in with the float hanging down. I twisted the fuel pump and filter counterclockwise in the hanger, then angled the assembly to get the float and filter in the tank, rotated the assembly more staight up and lowered into the tank.
I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you haven't tried already.
It seems my filter was pointed toward the float.
I have faith in you brother, but then again, maybe that's why they call you "GIRTHZILLA"??

Last edited:
The filter/sock came with fuel kit, snaps into place so it has to be stock (correct), although it may be an "upgrade" from prior ones. Filter about 1.5" x 1.5" hard woven plastic with fittings one end that snap onto fuel inlet tube on bottom of FP, can fit only one way (opposite side of pump than the float) & sticks out 90* from pump, thus pump in middle with filter pointing one way & float on other side...too wide for tank opening regardless how I wangle it. So DW must have redesigned filter :( as this one does not bend, being stiff it just pops off if try to jimmy it. To top it off car in middle garage blocking space so wifey parking outside...I'll probably hear about that soon. I left a message for Brian @ GBody if he knows the secret.

Can you rotate the pump in the hanger to help align the filter closer to the float? Parts stores sell the filters. Maybe you need one that can bend and be more flexible?

Tried that Rick. there's no rotating or re-orientating anything, only movable part is ability to swing float up or down on it's hanger, & either way problem exists. I finally zip tied the filter 1/2, barely able to squeeze it all in, & heck of time manipulating snips in to cut the zip tie (put small locking pliers on the long end of zip tip (sticking up outside of tank) so would not fall into tank when cut off filter. Several times doing that filter still falls off by it being jostled, etc. So what the hell...I assembled it all without filter just to see if car at least run, & sure that it would. Nope :cry: . Gotta go to Houston this week, so later I'll have to drag the damn thing somewhere. Sorry to bother members & appreciate the intended help.

Definitely not a bother. That's what we are here for, although I feel like we failed you as we weren't able to help you succeed. Maybe when you get back and try again everything will fall into place. [He sayes to himself with a glimmer of hope].

It's ok, but frustrating, I figured it's happened so often that someone's easy explanation would pop out. I'll be relieved (if not feel like an idiot) when find out that the zappit fell loose from it's gizmo, or whatever. Happy motoring guys.
BTW, in case there's a group cheer or anyone cares.....I won Best of Show this weekend's Oldsmobile Regional (Calif.) event, :cool: x2

That square sock is a PIA to install. It was a problem for me too. The best way I can describe how I installed mine was to rotate the pump so the sock is pointing basically the same direction as the float and install both through the hole at the same time. It was a head scratcher.

Was sure that it was/is a gas delivery problem, but perhaps not as even when buttoned all back up with new pump (minus filter just to see if would work), it made no difference. Dammnnnnnn. Even though it's "just" a V6, turbo'd, shops here are mystified by the GN so I'll have to take it out-of-town (only 3/4 million folks here in Fresno & no GN mechanics!). Luckely have a steep sloped driveway & figured out how to get it up on trailer with motor not running. Drag it off to LA, I've done about all can be done fuel-wise, will be delighted find out what it really is. Adios friends 'till next adventure.

What kind of problems are you having with the car that made you think it was the fuel pump or a fuel delivery issue?

I looked around and didn't see another thread you started with what was going on with your car.

Ok i think i found your thread you started about the problem.

http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/can-fp-be-bad-even-if-runs-on-hot-wire.439044/

Did you put a fuel press. gage on the fuel rail?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="whitehot1,]What kind of problems are you having with the car that made you think it was the fuel pump or a fuel delivery issue? Did you put a fuel press. gage on the fuel rail?[/QUOTE]
Had full explanation in general maintenance but it got removed,so this is what is left in How To section. Did minor things to get it smogged like removed alky kit, replaced original intercooler-to-intake tube, cat, & FP reg. Took wife to show & started running poorly on way home (total 5 miles). Very similar 1.5 yrs ago on way to airport, inched it into a shop & while I'm gone had 'em install new FP...worked great. So this time checked FP, seemed little erratic so re-installed coupla FP reg's have around & made no diff. Checked plug spark, ok. Changed F. filter, dirty but new one made no diff. Dropped tank & spent hours trying fit new pump, stupid stiff filter won't fit into hole no matter what angle/dangle. Zip-tied it up smaller & cut off zip-tie once contraption in tank (try it, it's no fun) it just keeps falling off...so installed it sans filter just to see if problem fixed. Hell no! I give up. Now vexed over that, & don't want wife upset as car sits in middle garage where 2 cars supposed be & her new car sits in driveway. Going out-of-state till next week, I'll dump it off somewhere on return. Wanna buy a otherwise perfect non-running '87 GN (jokingly) ? Say good night Gracie.

"(old pump unit as well as replacement is DW 300)" quote

Why do you feel that you need such a big fuel pump?

I've always used the Walbro 340 pumps. A lot of years and on different turbo regal cars, and have never needed anything bigger. And no problem getting it into the fuel tank with the sock on it.

I've worked my way up to running 21 lbs boost on 93 octane with a 6776 turbo, 60 lb injectors with the Walbro 340 pump.

[QUOTE="whitehot1,
Why do you feel that you need such a big fuel pump? [/QUOTE]
In Dec. 2014 when ordering from GBodyParts was told Walbro always problematic & recommended the DW 300. I believe the one being replaced was the original (27 years old). GBody also told me last month (when ordering the pump's replacement) that I would get credit as the DW 300 is warranted for 3 yrs....that hasn't happened either. Anyway, got the car running ok....but no filter on pump as it won't fit into tank opening, per my prior entries. I'll have to deal with that. Oh what fun. Anyway folks, the worst is over and do appreciate the intended help.

Too bad I did not see this post sooner as we use a different filter/sock with the DW pump which is not square and will fit well into the tank with a single, or double DW pumps.

I will gladly send you one if you want?

What does it look like?
Dunno, Nick from ArizonaGN said has re-shaped ones & sending me one. Makes me thing why didn't DW think of that first, or even design one that didn't fit in first place? Anyway I'll be happy to try it on (I'm getting real good/fast at dropping tank, etc.) & report on it.

This is kind of an old unfinished thread and I ran across some photos that were buried on the computer.

Looking back at the photos, I had to more than I thought.

I had to trim out the I.D. of the hanger from the triangular shape to a circle for the DW 300's round base (file smooth). I trimmed the bottom of the triangular shaped isolator/ grommet to stretch over the pump.
image.jpeg

Install the pump in the hanger with the filter pointing toward the float.
image.jpeg

The pump assembly should fit in the tank like so.
image.jpeg

By trimming the inside hole of the hanger, the fuel pump is indexed only by the hose connection. Rotate the pump side to side and find where it likes to rest. Make sure the filter doesn't interfere with the float and tighten the hose clamps.
When installing the assembly into the tank, the pump and filter can be rotated counter clockwise (more of a twist to flex the hose connection) to get the filter closer to the float. Once in the tank, release the pump and let it rotate back to its happy place.
Also note that when positioning the pump/ filter further clockwise, the pump can contact the + terminal on the fuel level sender.
image.jpeg

It did seem like the hanger contacted the back of the dog dish baffle while seating the flange on the O-ring. The lock ring went into place easy enough.

I hope this helps those using the search function in the future.

Cheers, George

Last edited:
Thanks George, I too hope this will help those later one with this problem. Makes one wonder why the hell they designed it so frustratingly for what should be an easy task...I've spent less time & effort installing a V8. The new filter shape (from Arizona GN) makes it much easier (although still a little clumsy). Another difficulty is getting the pump assembly resting/aligned correctly in the tank aperture (so that hoses all straight & tank baffles do not interfere with float or filter), and getting a tight seal on the kinda-complicated cover (one easily fooled, as a pressure check can reveal not completely air-tight). Love the GN, but that part not a good design. Anyway, got it all together, runs fine & passed smog.