How fast will a stock posi survive ????

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
I think I already know the answer to this one... but I just wanted a few opinions. :D

See sig for combo...

I'm looking to race my car on the 29th down at Atco... and the last remaining weak link in my drivetrain is the stock posi unit. I have 28 spline Mosers already... So I'm at a point where I either:

A) Keep the 28 spline Mosers and buy a 28 spline spool & C-clip eliminator kit for $300

B) Replace the axles with 33 spline Mosers and matching spool, C-clip kit, studs, etc... for $630-ish.

Time AND money are getting tight now, due to the upcoming holidays (we have 5 kids)... so maybe I should just skip the Atco race and wait 'till I can get the good 33 spline stuff in there. ;)

the stock has handled more than you have speed wise , the hit off the t-brake and vehicle weight is the killer part if its going to fail

ive seen pics of stock carrier broken but wouldn't be surprised if it was due to worn pinion bearings or excessive backlash from wear that caused the gears to break and jam resulting in total destruction of the carrier

if you decide to ride it out atleast check the backlash of whats in there and if its excessive adjust back to spec, gears bearings and even the stock cast iron shims can wear changing the carrier preload all leading to excessive backlash which puts much greater stress on the gears increasing the likely hood for failure ,

we have beat the hell out of Melissa's for years.. she only has the moser axles and a TA cover .. BUT not doin a trans brake launches . :cool:
I would personally upgrade it if I were you. it's one of our "jobs" this winter for her car :cool:

we have beat the hell out of Melissa's for years.. she only has the moser axles and a TA cover .. BUT not doin a trans brake launches . :cool:
I would personally upgrade it if I were you. it's one of our "jobs" this winter for her car :cool:

Are you 'gonna get a T-brake in the car too ? or is she still afraid of it ? :D

I have gone as fast as 11.3 with no problems on the foot brake. I know guy who have gone in the 10s with a stock rear. I would not do anything, unless you plan on going any faster.

I went as fast as 9.66 on stock posi and 28 spline Mosers with 1.40-1.45 60's. Not the smartest thing to do though.

You can sell your stock posi and Mosers for about $400. This will leave you with about $250 more to spend. If you break an axle you could have a dangerous situation and you will lose the sale of the axles and have to upgrade anyway.

I went as fast as 9.66 on stock posi and 28 spline Mosers with 1.40-1.45 60's. Not the smartest thing to do though.

About how many transbrake hits did you give it? Did you do new bearings and set the backlash when you did the axles, or did you just pop in the axles and go?

My mechanic has gone 8's on his totally stock rear end...
I cant think of a drag strip in the NE that will allow one to run stock axles anywhere near that fast. They always ask me if i have aftermarket axles if i drive in and they cant see the ends of the axles. It would not be safe or smart to run even sub 10.50's on stock axles if you planned on leaving hard.

yullose stated in OP he has 28mosers but afaik he doesnt have a cage or a rollbar or a transblanket or any other required saftey equipment for even 11s and atco isnt a track rental so he wont be able to push it too hard or he may get the boot

yullose stated in OP he has 28mosers but afaik he doesnt have a cage or a rollbar or a transblanket or any other required saftey equipment for even 11s and atco isnt a track rental so he wont be able to push it too hard or he may get the boot

So what exactly is your point ? and how exactly does that address my original question Paul ?

We've been through this before and you've mentioned my lack of safety equipment before too. I know exactly what is required to run at an NHRA sanctioned track. I had an NHRA license for many years... and my first 9 second pass was 16 years ago at Maple Grove.

I've built and owned perfectly legal 8 second race cars with chassis certs and all the NHRA safety gear. I've also been parked for going too fast with others.
I know what is/isn't legal and I don't need a babysitter to chime in every time I mention going to the dragstrip.
From now on I'll keep my mouth shut about plans to go racing.

my point isnt lack of equipment its that the track will have some say as to how fast you push it
last year they made all those without equip dial 11.50 or slower on the windows , needless to say the buicks had more than half of the field with 11.50 dialed

Art I think Paul has a point. NO safety stuff at all :eek: didn't you say you have 5 kids ??? come on don't be like 99% of the Buick guys saying they won't do any safety stuff because it will hurt the value of their car :rolleyes:.. If something happened I really don't think the wife would give 2 ****s about the car. Like I have said before..My wife stopped us from racing after Melissa got thrown out @ CC.. Put the halo bar in or slow the car down. She didn't give us an option:eek: You have a 9 sec car that "should" fly .. Things can get ugly really fast!!
..........You've had all these 8 sec nitrous big block cars and have to ask what you need for a rear in your slow Buick :eek::p Come on Buick guys only run stock stuff.. what do they know :cool:

Art I think Paul has a point. NO safety stuff at all :eek: didn't you say you have 5 kids ??? come on don't be like 99% of the Buick guys saying they won't do any safety stuff because it will hurt the value of their car :rolleyes:.. If something happened I really don't think the wife would give 2 ****s about the car. Like I have said before..My wife stopped us from racing after Melissa got thrown out @ CC.. Put the halo bar in or slow the car down. She didn't give us an option:eek: You have a 9 sec car that "should" fly .. Things can get ugly really fast!!
..........You've had all these 8 sec nitrous big block cars and have to ask what you need for a rear in your slow Buick :eek::p Come on Buick guys only run stock stuff.. what do they know :cool:

Dan, all it really needs is a bar in it to be legal to 10.0. It's got the DS loop, batt cutoff & hold down, etc... just needs a bar and harness. (other than axles)
I'll eventually get the bar in it, but will never make it 9-sec legal. It's just too much of a pain in the ass to cage it and get my license all over again, just for a few runs a year.

I KNOW it needs a good spool and axles...
I asked the question because I wanted to wait until after Christmas to spend more money on the car... but still wanted to hit Atco for a run or two with the stock rear, IF it would survive. I only expected to get one or two runs in, since I never half-peddle a car at the track anyway. It's either balls-out or stay home. That's why I try to get all my work and tuning done before hitting the dragstrip... so the runs aren't wasted on aborted passes.
I have no issue with Paul or the accuracy of his comments. I just get tired of hearing about it because we've beaten this dead horse before. It's not the first time he's pointed out these NHRA required safety descrepancies.
I KNOW the car is faster than it's legal for... It was already that way when I bought it..."Not NHRA legal" just like half the Buicks that show up to most races anyway.
I just don't need to be reminded of it or called out on it. It just brings unwanted and un-needed attention to my car if I want to sneak a run or two in at a track somewhere.