how fast on stock short block?

I agree with everything you wrote except high lighted parts. If the cam was changed, its no longer a completely stock shortblock. Its a stock rotating assembly with a aftermarket cam and possibly timing chain if you elect to change that while your in there. That makes a huge difference in performance when the cam is changed at this level. The OP asked how fast on a completely stock shortblock. IMO that means untouched, just slap the heads intake and the other supporting cast to it and go for broke.

I consider short block as crank, rods, and pistons and all hardware associated with holding these together. Although cam is in the block I would consider this part of top end because it controls valve and timing events more or less. But usually when someone refers to short block strength they are refering to rotating assemblly. Tomatoes Tom at oes:)

I consider short block as crank, rods, and pistons and all hardware associated with holding these together. Although cam is in the block I would consider this part of top end because it controls valve and timing events more or less. But usually when someone refers to short block strength they are refering to rotating assemblly. Tomatoes Tom at oes:)
I agree!!

This has been discussed at length, but this particular thread is interesting. I remember 10 years ago or so when I was told mid to MAYBE low 11's and nothing over 120mph on a stock shortblock (I also agree cam isn't a shortblock part). Now 125+mph and whatever ET that gets you with a good hook seems to be the norm. Pretty soon someone will run 8's on pump gas and alky with cold a/c on a stock shortblock in a full weight car with stereo. These damn buzzin' half dozens just never seem to stop getting faster! The knowledge of this board helps a lot and the ingenuity of a few people who are still trying to break records. I prefer the path MOST traveled as I don't like downtime/broken parts. Some of the stats presented here are nothing short of amazing though for 25 year old GM junk.

This has been discussed at length, but this particular thread is interesting. I remember 10 years ago or so when I was told mid to MAYBE low 11's and nothing over 120mph on a stock shortblock (I also agree cam isn't a shortblock part). Now 125+mph and whatever ET that gets you with a good hook seems to be the norm. Pretty soon someone will run 8's on pump gas and alky with cold a/c on a stock shortblock in a full weight car with stereo. These damn buzzin' half dozens just never seem to stop getting faster! The knowledge of this board helps a lot and the ingenuity of a few people who are still trying to break records. I prefer the path MOST traveled as I don't like downtime/broken parts. Some of the stats presented here are nothing short of amazing though for 25 year old GM junk.
Those are all good points we4Mateo!!

Also, the answer to the original posters question lies in the owner of the car or who is tuning it!! A guy like Bison and forcefed3.8's to name a few have the knowledge and talent to go where others simply can't!!! Hell I have a very similiar combo (bolt on wise) to the op and he is running almost identical times to mine....The difference is I have a midly built motor with a roller cam and can't even get in the tens!! Need more track time, practice tuning, etc...For all i know nickb may be one of those guys who can defy the odds and keep a stock block together and run times others can't get their built motors to run!!!

I took a stock motor,stock cam with a mild port head and intake into the 10's.it lasted a while but eventually cracked 3 pistons.you can go feel fast but they wear out much faster and have no error margin at all.like anything else you need good planning and very good luck.

Just to Clarify...my original post asks how fast others have gone on the stock shortblock. I would like to go 10.50's and turn it up and dip into the 9's, but never said that had to be with a stock shortblock. I just inquired about what others have done with a stock shortblock so I can determine if I should have a bottom end built, or just throw some champion irons on and be happy with whatever gains that gives me from my current 11.2 @120. Never said I wanted 9's on a stock shortblock.

Just posting this cause Ive had a few people ask me if that was my intention. It wasnt

I went 10.55 at 132 on my TTA stock crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings etc. Cam was a hyd roller 212/212 and double roller chain. Champion irons.

Went just as fast with JE's, girdle, etc.. seen stock pistons in the 9's.. actually had a guy in TAI a few years back was running 10.0's on stock pistons.. Bob Wren from GA.. champion GN1's.. eventually a stock piston broke..

Just posting this cause Ive had a few people ask me if that was my intention. It wasnt

For now............Lol. I too have been there, and once you reach it, its like, "ok, now what?" It's hard to stop messing with it once you start. Takes
a strong individual to know where to draw the line and just be content on what you have. I think i finally found that limit............. and it's only took
me 24 years to realize it.

For now............Lol. I too have been there, and once you reach it, its like, "ok, now what?" It's hard to stop messing with it once you start. Takes
a strong individual to know where to draw the line and just be content on what you have. I think i finally found that limit............. and it's only took
me 24 years to realize it.

Have had this Stage 2 sitting here since 2000. Customer took a different route and I bought the whole car. Put the 10,508 mile TTA back to stock an threw the stage 2 in a corner. It's just hard for us to move on to a stage 2 when the 109s have been doin the trick since 1986. Some day we are goin to use it in something BUT for now I am still with the little ol 109s. The beatings they take are 1/2 the fun :D Just a hoarder here !!:p
TTA#1.JPG

half the problem is my car is too nice to put a bar in and I technically already need a rollbar. So why go faster? Looks like I should be looking for a race car, thats already cut up, to buy instead of make this into one. dilemmas dilemmas

half the problem is my car is too nice to put a bar in and I technically already need a rollbar. So why go faster? Looks like I should be looking for a race car, thats already cut up, to buy instead of make this into one. dilemmas dilemmas

Your preaching to the choir man.Lol I am still in that same boat............. no cage. :oops:

Your preaching to the choir man.Lol I am still in that same boat............. no cage. :oops:
Yup, really funny untill you blow something at 140mph+,oil your tires,hit the wall and flip the car 10 times.....
With no cage i'm sure the helicopter well be picking you up if there is a hope to save your life.
Track must be super hard up to be letting cars run 150+mph without any safety equipment.....

Mike, I am fully aware of the dangers associated in taking a pass down the track, I'm not a kid, not trying to be a role model, none of that. Its my choice, and for now I choose not to chop up my car. It's not a race car, I don't want one. It's a street car that I drive a lot (with and without my family). You actually put yourself at a greater risk then me if you drive your car on the street with a 10pt cage. If someone were to hit you, and your head hits that bar without a helmet............... I bet the bar wins. That's why insurance company's walk away from covering cars with cages.

I guess you won't be tracking the car anymore then?
Not sure what the point is in building an 8 second car that is unusable (i know it's the challenge), anyway glad your excepting any responsiblity racing your car with no safety equipment i just hope it does not effect the guy in the lane next too you.
Take what i said in a positive way, sometimes you have to bend to continue racing.
Does not help you on the street either, unless you want to risk loosing your licence, but your aware of that......

I am always open to constructive criticism. I except it all, the good and the bad. I will definitely track the car again, but it is not my main focus. I have had this car for 24 plus years now and not one speeding ticket with it since I have owned it, and still have a perfect driving record. I respect the power of what's under the hood. Street racing has been out of my system for many many years now. This has been my personal goal I have set for myself. I am happy with what has transpired so far without taking the stock feel and drive ability away.

When I look back and think of all the stuff that has changed in the past 10 years it's really amazing. Technology has advanced so much in this industry it's not funny. When you take into account todays turbochargers where you can run a 2800 rpm converter and run 10's. Not to mention tuning has come a long way as well as fuels we use. The reintroduction of methanol injection allows for a cheap solution to crank the boost up and not to mention e85 is a total game changer!

This is why I bought a Mustang to cut up and do as I please with. And its getting pushed to its very limits :D