how fast on stock short block?

nickb

wondering how far I can go with a stock shortblock. im gonna upgrade to champion irons and intake and was wondering how fast other have gone on a stock shortblock.

we had a stock short block BUT with an RJC girdle on it.. high 9s @ 138 .. I would say mid 10s stockity stock :p pretty easy but the tune better be right on as well as the car itself.
I am saying this an adding ours are DRIVERS !!!!

we had a stock short block BUT with an RJC girdle on it.. high 9s @ 138 .. I would say mid 10s stockity stock :p pretty easy but the tune better be right on as well as the car itself.
I am saying this an adding ours are DRIVERS !!!!

so do I bother upgrading the heads now or do I wait and do the whole motor at once? im runnning 11.2 @120 now

nickb said:
i wanna go 10.50 easy and be able to turn up the wick and go high 9's

That's a pipe dream on a stock short block and keeping it in one piece, you might be able to do it once tho

Once you get to low 10's high 9's then all it takes is a hiccup before your picking the crank up off the pavement.

That's a pipe dream on a stock short block and keeping it in one piece, you might be able to do it once tho

well my question was how fast can I go on it? if I need a built motor to eventually do a 10.5-9.90 then I have a built motor put in. It was never "my dream" to go 9's on a stock shortblock, just wondered how fast others have gone on it, so I can determine what i will do next. maybee I wait till this goes cause this combo I have now runs pretty well, and then just do the whole thing.

Once you get to low 10's high 9's then all it takes is a hiccup before your picking the crank up off the pavement.

this car is a good 60' away from a 10 second slip now and I never launched off the trans brake. Figured some heads would take me low tens but wondered if the stock shortblock would hold up long. maybee I should have a whole motor built when this one goes. So i guess low tens is what you guys are saying is pushing the stock shortblock.

Pretty sure i remember seeing a thread where Grumpy took a 130k stocker into the 8's with nothing but a big ol' front mount and a rebuilt TA49!!! :-p

Full weight car here and ran 10.90's. Never broke it but didn't want to either. Built a stronger engine so I can maintain this level and not worry so much. OK, I might turn it up just a little....

low 10s 129.9 , 206 flat tappet cam and ported irons with cometics and arp studs ,
shortblock was bone stock
stock crank, rods, pistons mains and all the hardware
intake, fuel rail and fuel lines stock
stock exh manifolds, stock timing cover and pump
stock rockers and pushrods,stock ecm and coilpack
stock boxed lower control arms , stock uppers , stock springs
2004r with stagerite (no billet except for sonnax servo)
71 gtq and cas v2 FMIC
93 and alky

over 800 passes (mid 10s) and then cracked a piston trying for 9s.. threw in another stock piston and went 128 next time out , its still going in my X

don on his totally stock shortblock low buck MAR rebuild
added..
212/212 roller, champ irons, cometics , arp studs , 1.65 T+D rockers
71gtq and precision FMIC
he went 10.42 93 and alky

for 9s the pistons need to be upgraded , two center mains wouldnt hurt (still only have stock mains in the 86 but at that level its not the norm to hold together ) , steel crank would cut down on the flex , but then after doing pistons , crank , mains might as well go with Hbeam rods at about 500 a set

I would say high tens would be the limit it would hold up to for any period of time...I know a few locals who have done more than a few high ten passes on a stock short block although there were a few head gasket changes along the way though....Hell a friend of mine has blown itleast 4 sets of head gaskets that I know of without touching the bottom end and went 10.8x the end of last season....You may have one of those engines that defy the norm like my buddies or you may have one that is only a couple degrees of knock away from destruction!!

low 10s 129.9 , 206 flat tappet cam and ported irons with cometics and arp studs ,
71 gtq and cas v2 FMIC
93 and alky

over 800 passes (mid 10s) and then cracked a piston trying for 9s.. threw in another stock piston and went 128 next time out , its still going in my X

added..
71gtq and precision FMIC

for 9s the pistons need to be upgraded , two center mains wouldnt hurt (still only have stock mains in the 86 but at that level its not the norm to hold together ) , steel crank would cut down on the flex , but then after doing pistons , crank , mains might as well go with Hbeam rods at about 500 a set

Cool that's what I was looking for, someone's actual experience. Now I'm thinking 10.50s would be fun and will probably order the heads and intake this week. When I'm ready for 9's I might go ls. Thanks Paulie good info

Cool that's what I was looking for, someone's actual experience. Now I'm thinking 10.50s would be fun and will probably order the heads and intake this week. When I'm ready for 9's I might go ls. Thanks Paulie good info

High to mid 10's are doable with a stock short block. If you want to run 9's with it, the cam has to come out for something more efficient, then its no longer a ,"STOCK" shortblock. The rotating assembly is not the deciding factor for power at this level, its more of a strength issue and how far do you want to push stock parts. The cam, heads and intake will add more power then anything else where the motor is concerned. Lots of people have run 9's on a modified stock shortblock. IMO, I would build it right, rather then have it pop trying to do something that really makes no sense when you look at the cost of doing it all over when its hurt. I say, use the stock rods and crank with ARP hardware, use a good forged piston, a decent cam with a double rolling timing chain, and slap the parts you were going to put on the stock shortblock on this. You would be much further ahead IMO.

71 gtq and cas v2 FMIC
93 and alky

added..
71gtq and precision FMIC

I agree with everything you wrote except high lighted parts. If the cam was changed, its no longer a completely stock shortblock. Its a stock rotating assembly with a aftermarket cam and possibly timing chain if you elect to change that while your in there. That makes a huge difference in performance when the cam is changed at this level. The OP asked how fast on a completely stock shortblock. IMO that means untouched, just slap the heads intake and the other supporting cast to it and go for broke.

yea i dont need or expect to go 9's on it, was just curious as to how far a can expect to take the stock shortblock. looks like high - mid tens from what everyone is saying. thanks guys

i went many 10 teens with my stock short block with good mph and a few brutal dyno pulls but i don't think i would do it again..it is mostly in the tune though..the tune needs to be dead on...i had lots of metal transfer on the two center caps...just pulled the engine a couple of months ago to build a stroker..the cylinders had less than 1 thousands wear and the crank just needed a polish..even the bearings looked good and still had good oil pressure..these are some tough engines.........Bob

10 years ago i ran 10.5s@134mph+ (bad 60 foot times)with a stock factory unrebuilt shortblock.
Rattled the bottom end when i turned the boost up to 33psi and it cracked the block.