How fast on 93?

6only

Hello, just wondering how fast are these cars on pump gas? No alcohol, no nitrous just stock 15lbs. talking about a Buick that can be driven daily with good street manners with bigger turbo, heads, cam, exhaust and all the stuff to support it.

thanks guys.

My friend's GN has a bigger fuel pump and adgustable reg and ran 93 pump gas several years ago to 13.00 at 104. I think before he changed anything except for a K&N filter it ran 14.00 to 14.20 at 98 or 97 mph. It was really amazing to see him have such a big turnaround when he added only a fuel pump and a reg (a bit of tuning too) I'm no longer into fuel additives like octane booster, but back in my college days before alcy injection I was a beliver in the stuff. It did seem to make a difference though.

Back in the spring of '98 I decided to see just what my at the time White/Chrome '87 Limited would run with pure 93 octane on my daily driver street tires and this combo.
85k mile stock short block, ported & polished M&A aluminum heads, port matched intake manifold, stock ported headers, 2.5" SS cross over pipe, TE-45 turbo, Eastern front mount IC, 3" downpipe with deltagate wastegate, 3" single shot exhaust, SSM traction bars, dual rear air bags, no front sway bar, PTE 70mm plenum with Accufab 70mm t-body, 42.5# injectors with a Lubrant street 93 chip, Bosch external pump with no intank, -8 feed line, stock return line, Adjustable regulator, Scanmaster, Direct Scan & a boost gauge. Tires were 295/50/15 Hoosier Quick Times (before they came out with Quick Time Pro)

I drove in off the highway (95 mile one way trip) payed to race, pulled directly into the staging lanes, lowered the tire pressure down to 15psi with the car idling, boost was on 22, fp was at 44psi, ambient temps were 78-80* and made this pass. Didn't have more than 5 minutes of cool down as the lanes were rolling and I wanted to see what the car would run in street mode.

RARETLAUNCH.jpg

11.97 @ 117 with a 1.79 short time. I was very happy with that. I don't think I made anymore passes that day as I really went just to watch my friends run.
If you build a nice combo with aluminum heads and a front mount, you can get close to running this level of boost on todays reformulated 93 octane, even more on 94 Sunoco. The trick is finding a turbo that is very efficient in the 19-22psi range, which with todays turbos would be the PT61 series or the PT67.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

My car ran 13.7 @ 98 mph bone stock. 100,000 miles, street tires, 15psi boost with stock chip on 93 octane.

Hello, just wondering how fast are these cars on pump gas? No alcohol, no nitrous just stock 15lbs. talking about a Buick that can be driven daily with good street manners with bigger turbo, heads, cam, exhaust and all the stuff to support it.

thanks guys.
Unfortunately for you not many of us built our engines around 93 octane and nothing else. Ill try and turn the boost down and meth injection off on mine at the strip when i run it. Dont know if i can easily get it back to 15 psi without changing wastegate springs. I normally run 26+psi. I think i can get it to run at 16psi on 93 with no problem. 11's @115+ will be no problem at 16psi. This is not all the stuff to support a 93 octane engine either. More cam and more rpm would be better for the $hitty fuel and lower boost.

Since I'm not banging on my 86 so hard anymore, when I go to the track, it's in what I call pure street trim.
That is to say; 93 octane gas (NOTHING else), real street tires (Firestone Firehawks 255/60-15 on stock rims).
I run the timing down a little lower (19/17) and turn the boost up. I'm able to run a good solid 20# of boost on our 93 octane hear.
So, with my mods: Front mount, PTE44, MSD50's my 1/8 times are 8.0@86. If my math is correct that equates to a low/mid 12 second run in the 1/4.

"The trick is finding a turbo that is very efficient in the 19-22psi range, which with todays turbos would be the PT61 series or the PT67."

Patrick, why 19 - 22 psi range if i want to run 15-16?

Ran 13.5 with fuel pump, K&N, AFPR, 2.3 sixty time, 3" DP with dual exhaust, and turbotweak chip.

Jason

You can run very fast on 93 but you have to have the engine built to flow a lot of air to get there.

with a stock 4.1 block with ported irons,flat tappet 218/218 cam,t63e,PTE front mnt,3200 stall,70mm TB,ATR headers.....

I did 7.17 @ 96 mph 1/8th with a 1.55 60' on 16# 19* timing and no alcohol injection.

Drove it to the track 60 miles away,and ran that pass after cooling down for maybe an hour,hot lapped it after that pass and ran a 7.18@96mph to back it up.

I know for a fact that there was no race gas in the tank because I had been just driving the motor easily for a while and ran around 3 full tanks of 93 through it.

just for giggles I added a few gallons of 116 and turned the boost up to 20# and added a few degrees timing and went 6.80s@100-101

there are a few of us who have run low 11's and some high 10's on straight 93.

I can't really give any decent 1/4 times for my setup because all we have to run at here mostly is 1/8 tracks and the one 1/4 track sucks to go to.

I have run a 7.31 at 98.7mph with a crappy 1.79 sixty foot. Also ran a 7.12 at 97 with a 1.678 sixty foot.