How far on race gas before losing O2 sensor?

Kristi

Never Enough Buicks!
About how many miles can you drive with race gas before the O2 sensor goes?

Thanks.

Kristi

Assuming it is a new GM AFS-20 O2 sensor with 118 leaded in the tank, about 8-10 1/8 mile runs before it will code and you get degraded non-WOT performance. My experiences!
Mitch

If the O2 sensor is fouled and the readings are off, wouldn't it also affect WOT?

K

Kristi, no I don't think so, as I believe on WOT the ECM is in open loop. However, if you are tuning with your O2 you need a good sensor to get good readings. Just watch your cross counts - some O2 will last longer some shorter - nature of the beast.

James is correct about the WOT thing. But my AC O2 lasted through 1/2 tank of C16 and still works fine. Its a hit and miss thing. You might get 10 runs or you might get 50. Stay away from Bosch sensors because when I fouled mine on 110 it would not throw a code.

general rule of thumb is about 10 passes or 100 miles. We actually have gotten more or less on 110, also if you remove the race gas and replace with super sometimes the o2 works longer.. Just what I've heard. We always take at least 3 along just in case. I run race gas on the street too.

About 7-10 gallons of 110 and my 4 wire GM sensors have gone bye-bye.

I use an autometer O2 gauge. It's pretty much useless for tuning but it's great for a quick check of the general health of the O2. After only a few miles the sensor gets noticeably lazy. A bit longer and the car will start to pop and miss at part load. By then the sensor stays pretty close to reference voltage (420mv) and doesn't transition hardly at all.

Fresh sensors are hyperactive and the car loves 'em.

I've tried the "wait to start" method to allow the sensor to heat before starting the engine. It helps a little.

My "noble" goal is to get the car into the 11's on straight 100 octane unleaded, no more sensor worries.

After I am done at the track I usually fill up on 94 to thin out the leaded fuel, and it seams to have worked so far. Even though the same amount of lead is going through the motor is is not so much at a time

After I am done at the track I usually fill up on 94 to thin out the leaded fuel, and it seams to have worked so far. Even though the same amount of lead is going through the motor is is not so much at a time

I can run about 11-12 gallons of C-12/C-16 before the AFS 74 sensor goes bad on my car (code 13). It may also have something to do with how rich I've ran at the track in the first couple passes (02's at about .840-.850) the last two trips. I run xylene when I'm on the street to clean it out but I don't think that helps any. Still, I wouldn't trust (or risk) running after that many gallons have gone through it.

Just my .02.
:)