How far can you stray from original...?

Robes87GN

Bench Racing Hater
... Before you start losing car value on a GN? I have lots of things I want to do, but don't know how far I can go before the value of the car drops.

I think the value to you is much more important than what youll get for it if you sell it.
Cars arent really that great of an investment, I would suggest getting into the market or real estate if you want to make money.

Have fun with it and do what you want.

PABLO

Originally posted by Pablo
I think the value to you is much more important than what youll get for it if you sell it.
Cars arent really that great of an investment, I would suggest getting into the market or real estate if you want to make money.

Have fun with it and do what you want.

I'm going to Qualcom again tomorrow, are you coming:confused:

You missed out last week:)

Im in miami, I went on leave last sunday

I wanted to go down to the Q but for some reason I keep blowing out fusible links for the headlights on the buick. I didnt have time to really diagnose the problem, Ill be back on the 8th

Originally posted by Robes87GN
... Before you start losing car value on a GN? I have lots of things I want to do, but don't know how far I can go before the value of the car drops.

Value is subjective.

Some want pure, stock clean cars.

Others will prefer a clean, low mile car with "tastefull mods"

You can't apeal to both.

My guess is that the largest potential for $$ will be in the low mile original cars going forward as they become rarer and rarer.

Just my $.02

Many mods. are plug and play and some are simple bolt ons that are easily reversible.

Start with those.

Anyone who wants an "all original car" and turns up their nose at a hot wire kit and upgraded in tank fuel pump shouldn't be allowed to own one anyway. :p

Originally posted by salvageV6
Many mods. are plug and play and some are simple bolt ons that are easily reversible.

Start with those.

Anyone who wants an "all original car" and turns up their nose at a hot wire kit and upgraded in tank fuel pump shouldn't be allowed to own one anyway. :p

ditto that. Remember these cars only ran 13.9@99 mph best and topped out at 124 when they were stock.

When I see somebody paying big bucks for an "all stock car", I say to myself, he's going to end up spending $1000 on a new exhaust system, fuel pump, hotwire kit, ported elbow, K&N, chip, etc. if he doesn't want to get completely embarrassed by the first SRT neon that pulls up next to him.

Originally posted by salvageV6

LOL that remark reminds my of my coworker. He has owned his GN since '88 I believe and not one mod to the car. The car is very well kept for being a daily driver most of its life, but I keep trying to explain that it sould run sooooo much better.

Every time I try to sway him his reply is "stay away from my car" :rolleyes: Oh well, ignorance is bliss.

Hey he can't be all that bad at least he drives the thing. :cool:

It's even worse when it's stuck in a garage with a cover on it and comes out once or twice a year. :eek:

Then again everyone has their opinions. ;)

Many mods. can be done to the cars tastefully, performance oriented, and reversible.

Just look at some of the 10 second cars that have gone back to all original untouched stockers. :p

Sometimes I admire his restraint and the fact that he has an unmolested GN, but a few things such as a test pipe, cat back, pump, regulator, hotwire, CAI and chip would do so much good for the car.

But then again he comes up with some hair brained statement like "I think it's time to rebuild my motor" when the car has 55k on the clock. Last time he said that I told him to give me his block and heads and I'll give him mine as a core for the rebuild. ;)